Gzip is not working properly on my site even having mod_deflate active

This started working for a while, it partly worked, but the next day it didn’t.

mod_deflate is active on the server and I’ve also edited ini.php and included the option to support zlib library, but this didn’t solve the issue.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Nicola,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I have checked your site "from outside" and the gzip compression seems to be working fine at this moment. The Chrome console reports proper headers for JS/CSS/HTML resources, PageSpeed doesn't suggest turning on gzip compression and checkgzipcompression.com site also reports it as compressed.

I'm not sure, however, if you still got WP Rocket at the moment enabled or if it's Hummingbird, as support access to the site seems to be expired.

I've seen in the chat that you were about to setup a staging site so we could check this and are waiting for a way to provide us with credentials. To let us use the site for testing the issue, please send in:

Subject: "Attn: Adam Czajczyk"

- Mark to my attention, the subject line should contain only: ATTN: Adam Czajczyk
    - Do not include anything else in the subject line, doing so may delay our response due to how email filtering works.
    - Link back to this thread
    - login URL and admin account login credentials (may be a temporary admin account) data
    - Include FTP log-in details (hostname, username & password)
    - Include hosting control panel access details (login address, username & password) - cPanel's usually the control panel used for this, but your provider may use something else; I'll need this for accessing your site's database, preferably via phpMyAdmin
    - Include any relevant URLs for your site

Please use our contact form here https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hi Nicola

I'm off tomorrow and I can prepare this for you

Did you have a chance to send those credentials to me? I didn't receive any message from you so far so I'm wondering whether you just didn't send it or if it somehow got "lost" on a way.

Let me know please! If you didn't have a time to handle that yet, no rush, I can "jump back" at anytime :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Adam

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Nicola,

I had a look at your site and GZIP seems to be enabled now for JS and CSS but it's still inactive for HTML.
    What this means is that mod_deflate is active on your server but the GZIP values are predefined on server side and they can't be changed via .htaccess rules, otherwise all the files will have same status of active/inactive.

You should get in touch with your hosting provider and ask them to either enable GZIP compression for HTML or at least allow these rules to be changed from .htaccess so Hummingbird could do its thing.

Let us know how it goes.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Nicola

Hello Predrag

Thanks for your message. I watched this with our second level. I'm a member of the hosting team. Hummingbird works on my private site. On another website that is also with the same hoster it does not work.

What can it be? I also changed the template. Plugins disabled. No luck.

I entered my FTP data on Tuesday or Wednesday and set up a developer website. Since the error is also present like the 500 error message with the two other plugins. Can you test this one?

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Nicola,

Hmm, that's strange, if the server settings are the same then the rules should work properly.
    What we can do is make sure that all the rules are added properly to .htaccess.
    To do this go to Hummingbird > GZIP Compression and disable the compression, after that you will see Manual tab show up so click on that and you will see the rules that need to be added to .htaccess file.
    Copy those rules and after pasting them to .htaccess go back to GZIP Compression panel and re-check the status.

I entered my FTP data on Tuesday or Wednesday and set up a developer website. Since the error is also present like the 500 error message with the two other plugins. Can you test this one?

I'm sorry but I'm not sure that I understand this question completely, could you please elaborate it a bit more?

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Nicola

Hi Predrag

I already did this with the support of you guys. The nice lady looked at this with me for 4 hours and inserted it step by step. Though for another problem since originally intended was the Hummingbird caused the error.

I have already shared the FTP login data and built up a test environment. You can test it there, too.

This is the case this week. https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/snapshot-pro-and-hustle-causing-error-on-my-site

This case is still pending https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/smartcrawl-seo-scan-timeout#post-1306000

• Adam Czajczyk

Hi @Nicola!

I'm a bit confused now. I checked the staging site and the browser caching there seems to be running fine. So was that finally sorted by my colleague that you worked on a live chat or simply the issue didn't even occur on staging while it occurs on a live site?

I'd also like to ask you for a small favor that would help us help you faster and more efficiently: if you got a ticket open for some issue, please stick to that tickets and continue within it instead of bringing the case back to the chat. If we ask you in a ticket for credentials to be sent (like I did earlier), please follow that as well. We don't maintain any "central base of Member's access credentials" (for security reasons mostly) but also, if you send me a message following my guide, I'll be instantly notified about that and will be able to jump back to it as soon as I'm online for work, while when you just provide credentials to some other agent (especially if the issue reported is different), I'm not aware of this and that person may notify me with a delay or even not notify me if she/he is not aware that I requested credentials. Would that be fine for you? I only ask for that just to speed up the process and make it easier for both sites so you'd get assistance faster. I hope that makes sense.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Nicola

Hi Adam

Now I'm confused. With Hummingbird the GZIP -> HTML function does not work. I work for the hosting company. mod_deflate is enabled on the servers.

Predrag has written yes to add this manually. We've already done that. I had a chat this week about another problem. A member of your staff has added a step-by-step procedure.

There was no improvement.

On the test homepage the error is also present. (Screenshot)

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Nicola,

If all the Hummingbird rules are there and there's something on your server blocking them from working properly and is forcing its own rules for HTML compression.

We could have our devs look into your installation further if you send use the login as Adam explained here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/gzip-is-not-working-properly-on-my-site-even-having-mod_deflate-active#post-1303551

Best regards,
    Predrag