Gzip, PHP Zip, Unfamiliar....not working

Gzip is not initializing or working. I've manually added the recommended coding to my .htaccess file and am still not getting satisfactory results. Each time I attempt to use the plugin's Defender, Snapshot, etc., I get the same prompt telling me that the plugin was not able to open the PHP zip file.

I need help with this!

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Phillip,

For Hummingbird issue:

Some hosting providers have predefined compression values on their server and they don't allow these to be changed via .htaccess rules, this is most likely what the issue is here if only one compression rules are not applying.

Can you get in touch with your host and check if this is indeed the case and if it is ask them to change the server settings to enable GZIP compression for HTML or to allow these changes to be applied via .htaccess rules.

If you also see alert for Snapshot that there is no PHP module "zip" http://php.net/manual/en/book.zip.php you also need to contact hosting provider to activate that module (on some servers in cPanel it is possible to enable modules for PHP - if you have that option then you can do that on your own).

Let me know if this will help.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Nithin

Hello Phillip,

Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

I could notice that you already have a ticket related to this existing issue. So, I'm following up here after our chat conversation. Your server settings do look fine, however on checking your website, the GZIP values of JS, and CSS are enabled by default via the server, irrespective whether it's activated/deactivated via Hummingbird plugin.

Could you please double check with your hosting provider regarding what Kasia has asked above? As it looks more like the the server is overriding gzip, and only your host could confirm such instance. I'm quoting what you need to check with your hosting provider below:

Some hosting providers have predefined compression values on their server and they don't allow these to be changed via .htaccess rules, this is most likely what the issue is here if only one compression rules are not applying.

Can you get in touch with your host and check if this is indeed the case and if it is ask them to change the server settings to enable GZIP compression for HTML or to allow these changes to be applied via .htaccess rules.

I'm also, checking this with our developer to see whether there is anything else we could do via the plugin side to make this work. Will keep you posted once I get a feedback regarding this from the developer asap.

Please do keep us updated with what your host has to say about the query above. Have a nice day ahead. :slight_smile:

Best Regards,
    Nithin

• Phillip

Finally, I got a response from my host. It was't good though. According to my host, GoDaddy.com, having a shared hosting program does allow for Gzip, but not Gzip of .html docs. I'm told nothing can be done to change the server or allow .htaccess rules to apply towards .html files. When I finally inquired about changing my account to a dedicated IP, they were unable to answer whether this would change the Gzip situation stating it was a completely seperate department since it would be different servers that would be involved.
    Thanks for all your help guys and gals! WPMUDEV is awesome! GoDaddy.com, not so much.