GZIP to compress files for duplicator

Good afternoon,

I am in the process of moving my local host site to a live site. I am using the duplicator plugin to make this process easier.
However, when I run the scan before creating the installer and archive files, I get 3 warnings coming up. I would therefore like to enable my gzip, but have been having trouble with the steps in order to do so. I am still quite a newbie to the very technical stuff, so please could someone explain exactly how I do/add the mod_deflate to my htaccess file? (if that is indeed where it goes?
Many thanks
Claire

• Predrag Dubajic

Hey Claire,

Hope you're doing well today :slight_smile:

Could you tell us what errors do you see, perhaps this is not related to GZIP?

As for activating GZIP, here's the thing, GZIP can be enabled via .htaccess rule but in order to work it requires "mod_deflate" module to be active.
    "mod_deflate" on other hand can't be activated via .htaccess and you will need to get in touch with your hosting provider to enable mod_deflate for you.
    After that you should be able to enable GZIP compression via .htaccess.

Hope this clears things up a bit :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Claire!

But in order to do so want my files to be compressed, as at the moment they are not passing the file size requirement in the duplicator scan.

I think there's a slight confusion here :slight_smile: The "gzip compression" is not a compression of files: it will not make your files smaller. This is a process of compression data/content transferred from and by the server to the user browser. It happens "on the fly" and is performed by web server software.

The "gzip" part might be what's causing confusion here as it sounds like file compression. However, it's called that way not because it compresses files but because of an algorithm used to compress data being send to user's browser.

I hope that explains the case a bit :slight_smile:

As for files not passing file size requirement in the duplicator scan. I'm not sure what is that file threshold and what are file sizes of your site but if that's the issue, you might need to reach out for other solution. This article describes other ways of moving the site so it should help:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/migrating-wordpress-and-multisite/

If you have any additional questions, let me know please.

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.