Has anybody tried to make domain mapping plugin work with empirebuilder(EB) plugin (EB=non wpmu plug

There's clearly a conflict of sunrise.php which is present in both the plugins. HAs anybody made these 2 plugins work together? IF yes, would you kindly provide me on how you resoleved the conflicting sunrise.phps?

• aam

Hello Jack

That's very kind of you to have stepped in to help.
    Attached, please find the sunrise.php from EB

(Sorry I could not respond faster... our internet connectivity was down because of heavy rains for long)

I am sure by now you must have discovered that EB makes it super easy to first convert the standard WP into WPMS at a click of a button and then allows us to import content and manage child sites (new and existing) themes and plugins very easily (as against the normal WPMS setup). This coupled with the ability of domain mapping plugin to give each child site its own domain will be wonderful for managing my new project.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You may also need to know that:

1. The EB works perfectly when installed and activated (what do I mean by this? Point 2. below illustrates this).

2. The 'childsite.mainsite.com' when typed in the browser address-bar remains that way (or when the link is clicked from within the dashboard of EB, it opens up a new window with childsite.mainsite.com in the address-bar) and this window shows the childsite.)

3. However, the correct behavior as described in Point 2 changes when I install domain-mapping plugin. Point 4 below describes the new behavior.

4, The childsite.mainsite.com when typed in the browser address-bar changes to mainsite.com (or when the link is clicked from within the dashboard of EB, it opens up a new window with mainsite.com in the address-bar) and the window shows the mainsite.)

However, when we type mainsite.com/childsite in the address-bar, it stays that way and does display the childsite.

5. Point 4. above indicates that upon installation of the domain mapping plugin in presence of activated EB, the childsites when accessed as subdomain automatically resolve to the mainsite.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you need access to the installation, just let me know how I can deliver the needed info to you... we are just setting up so its no problem at all.

Regards

Aam

• Barry

To be totally honest, after looking and playing with their sunrise.php I don't think the two are going to work together - in fact there is specific code in there to deactivate the MU domain mapping plugin (available on wp.org) so I think they know that their system and domain mapping plugins aren't going to work together.

static $suppressed = array(
            'proper-network-activation/proper-network-activation.php',
            'wordpress-mu-domain-mapping/domain_mapping.php',
        );

foreach ($suppressed as $plugin) {
            unset($plugins[$plugin]);
        }
  • aam

Hello Barry and Jack

Thanks for your responses.

Berry - I had already pointed out that there is a conflict in the two plugins and it was arising from some code in their respective sunrise.php which you refined by specifically pointing out the lines of code that did it.

Berry and Jack - However, I was expecting some solution from the support staff to make them work together... nonetheless, interacting with you guys over the past 10 days here has made me conclude that one cannot seek support on issues at such level but only on smaller,easier / established (kind of) issues that mostly are related to usage - pretty disappointing but not very surprising (I only wish that this had come in a day or two of submitting my request).

I now wish to get some wordpress expert coder who could study the features of both the plugins and then create a new one that combines the features of both the plugins. I could set out to outsource this work, but then I am afraid I do not have enough experience in judging the quality of coders out there, and more importantly, knowing if the coder will offer continued support for any issues that may crop up in future.

Do you recommend someone genuine and caring (should not intend to rip me off) for this job?

Or can wpmudev itself take this project and within a week (what is the reasonable period for such plugin development?) get me (and many MS users) a really WOW experience?? - that would be really delivering the BEST support.

Looking forward to your response especially on the para above in bold.

• Barry

I had already pointed out that there is a conflict in the two plugins and it was arising from some code in their respective sunrise.php which you refined by specifically pointing out the lines of code that did it.

It's not a "conflict" - from those lines it looks like the authors looked at the domain mapping plugin, thought - "no that can't be integrated" and disabled it.

However, I was expecting some solution from the support staff to make them work together... nonetheless, interacting with you guys over the past 10 days here has made me conclude that one cannot seek support on issues at such level but only on smaller,easier / established (kind of) issues that mostly are related to usage - pretty disappointing but not very surprising (I only wish that this had come in a day or two of submitting my request).

I've never seen the plugin you are using, never used it and never seen the code for it. It would take me weeks of going through the code to work out what it is doing. From looking at the sunrise.php and spending a long time trying to decipher it and see if it could be merged / integrated with our domain mapping plugin, I've come to the conclusion that it isn't going to be a simple job - note that's only based on looking at the sunrise.php file you sent - I haven't seen the plugins code yet or been able to play with it on a test site so any changes I do make will be at best "guesses".

From that file I can see already that it looks like they've modified the core table wp_blogs and added a field to it (not good). I dread to think what else they've done.

Though it you want to send through the plugin, then feel free - would also be interesting to hear what the authors of it said about integrating with the domain mapping plugin as well.

• aam

Hi Barry

Thanks for your response.

>I've never seen the plugin you are using, never used it and never seen the code for >it. It would take me weeks of going through the code to work out what it is doing.

>I haven't seen the plugins code yet or been able to play with it on a test site so any >changes I do make will be at best "guesses".

Kindly check with Jack Kitterhing on the subject matter in your lines above. I presumed that he would have shared these things with you.

Looking forward to your response to this.

• Barry

Thanks I have your email - can you also forward through any correspondance you've had with the authors of Empire builder regarding getting a domain mapping plugin working with their plugin?

I assume you've contacted them as well, as it's their sunrise.php file we'll have to edit to work with our plugin, it'd save a lot of time to know if they've tried integrating before and issues they came up with.

• aam

Hi Barry

I have written an email to you and it is something that I am not very comfortable to coming to terms with - but indeed, atleast for the time being, we will consider the matter solved and this thread closed.

Of course, I will contact you if need be - but in all probability, it will be something other on WP than the topic on this thread.

I am thankful to you and Jack for all the help you guys have extended.

May God bless you all.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.