Has Directory been discontinued?

This is weird - just looking at the Directory plugin but even though I've got it installed on my site if I click "Go to plugin homepage" it leads to a 404 on WPMU Dev - what gives?

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/directory

• Andrew Shanahan

Hmmm, so the existing Directory plugin should still be ok? Just as a snitty customer thing I don't think this should be done with an elastic timeframe. If you're taking the plugin down then it should be because it's going to re-appear in a stated length of time. "unofficially" and "next week or two" can easily become a month as we all know. In the meantime I'm left with the plugin downloaded and no details of how to implement, which isn't particularly cool.

Thanks anyway Joe.

• aecnu

Greetings iamstaggered,

No problem and thank you for expressing your concerns.

Personally I do not have the power to take down any plugin here nor am I the lead developer.

You are correct about If you're taking the plugin down then it should be because it's going to re-appear in a stated length of time. "unofficially" and "next week or two" can easily become a month as we all know. and since it is WPMU Dev's official protocol to not give any time frame, I was out of line and should have said that it will be in the future.

In the meantime I'm left with the plugin downloaded and no details of how to implement, which isn't particularly cool.

We saved you a lot of heartache and the lead developer that created this is no longer with WPMU Dev for obvious reasons, and what is a tech support person to do in this situation?

Please advise. You have the facts, it was removed by my Boss, the old version does not work right, the previous lead developer is gone, the new developer is working hard on it but with no date of release, and protocol dictates no dates given.

Maybe there is/was a better way to handle this then I have?

Cheers, Joe

• Andrew Shanahan

Chill Joe! I ain't mad atcha, got nothing but love for you.

You're right, if the old version sucks and you're fixing it then I trust you guys.

That said would you be able to send me the documentation for the previous version so that I can carry on working on implementing the plugin, then I'll upgrade when the new version comes out. I'm guessing (nay, assuming) that the new version will be backwards compatible with the old dud directory?

• aecnu

Greetings iamstaggered,

Not a problem at all :slight_smile:

I was just trying to see if there was a better way to express this challenge as a support rep considering the facts we have to deal with relative to this issue and conveying them to the members.

I do not think it will be backward compatible due to the fact that one of the main problems with this plugin and the Classifieds plugin was that "pieces" of custom press were integrated within each, so if a person tried to run any of the three simultaneously all heck would break loose. On the other hand with further thought unless there are database issues then it may very well be backwards compatible.

From my understanding and observations things progressed this way:

First - Custom Press was unattached and all bugs worked out - completed.

Second - Classifieds had the custom press "parts" taken out and bugs worked out - completed.

Last - Directory. This plugin was so bad in the end that if you have default permalinks on it would allow you to sign in but you could not post and if you set the pretty permalinks to anything but default you could post but not sign in or log in. This was probably the last straw for the Boss which sent the previous developer packing and then finally removal from the back end while the new version is setup.

I am sorry for the inconvenience and the removal was everything to include the documents and I do not even have access to them. On the other hand there was not much to them, installs like a regular plugin and then from the "Listings" menu, created upon activation, you adjusted the settings.

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.