have I been hacked?

so I got a parse error for this file

class-html.php

now when I went to the file it only had 80 odd lines and the error was it was expecting ( at 81 so no wonder it didn't work.

so... I downloaded a new copy of wordpress and uploaded the class-html and all seems well.

but I can not understand why a file that had 1400 lines suddenly had 80 hmmmm

• Connectivity.Engineer
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

First place to start would be your logs.
    did you keep the old file?
    Few things you want to check:

1. date/mtime for the file (your host can help here)
    2. if the file changed - who made the change (generally logs can help here as well)
    3. Do you maintain backups - if so - what does that file look like?

Start with the apache logs, next the ftp logs -
    you host should be able to do a "grep" in the logs for that file name to show when it may have changed..

What permissions do you have in place for your wordpress install ?
    You might also like this plugin - WP Better Security http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/better-wp-security/

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hiya,

Greetings and thanks for your post.

Even I would suggest you to have a look at the error logs and see what happened there.

Having a security plugin like "wordfence" and managing regular backups will help you deal with issues like this more efficiently.

Cheers, PC

• Imperative Ideas
    • HummingBird

Are you using PHP short tags? When you get an error either on the first or the last line you are normally looking at either an encoding or a PHP Configuration error.

Next, the following information would be helpful:

1. What is the exact error text?
    2. class-html.php is not a WP Core file. What is it part of?

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

yep everything is working fine now. I just uploaded another file. I am just slightly worried as I start building this client base of mine I don't want them not to be secure.

Gad that everything is working fine.

Just make sure that you use the necessary security plugins and take regular backups so that the work is secure and you always have backups.

I hope that helps. Please feel free to ask if you have more questions on the same.

Cheers
    PC

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.