Have Standard pages set up but jobs point to Virtual page. 404 erro

I have 'Standard' pages setup in my plugin. I can list/post a job and it displays in the Jobs front page, but once I click through the job link I am displayed with a 404 error.

the URL should read something like this http://www.mysite.com/title-of-job

but when I click the job link within the URL an additional section is placed into the URL /job/ which looks something like this http://www.mysite.com/JOB/title-of-job

I could be mistaken but I believe the /job/ section is placed in there due to virtual pages but I'm not sure how to fix this problem.

FYI I have this running on a dev site with the latest version of all plugins themes and wordpress.

• Michael Bissett

Hey @tony, hope you're doing well! :slight_smile:

The /job/ slug is there due to this being a custom post type, conflicts could occur with the WordPress post type otherwise (should a post & a job share the same post slug).

As for the jobs coming up as 404 errors, I was able to get this resolved for you by refreshing the permalink structure. To do this, you'd go to:

Settings -> Permalinks

And simply save the settings there (no changes necessary).

Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,

• tony

Thanks for your reply although I don;t see how the permalinks have solved anything. I have tested and still I receive 404 error when linking through to a job listing.

I have disabled any cache plugins I have enabled, cleared all cache from my wordpress and browsers, reset permalinks and created a new test job but still a problem.

I have screenshots for you
    Screenshot 1 - this shows the jobs landing page which displays the jobs I have created. You will notice the URL which doesn't display the /job/slug. Nothing wrong here
    Screenshot 2 - Here is where I click through one of the job links (the same for any job listed)
    Screenshot 3 - Once I have clicked through the job link (screenshot 2) the URL inputs the /job/ slug and displays a 404 error/ page not found.

This is where the problem is. Can I ask you say when you cleared the permalinks and tested all worked OK, how come? I don't see why it would work for you but not me.

I appreciate your time in looking at this.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Tony,

I hope you're well today and I apologize for the delay!

As for the problem this is indeed a permalink issue, hence the solution proposed by @Michael Bissett usually resolves the problem. In this case however I've found that you've got a page (a "real" WP page actually) that's called "Job" - using the "job" slug. I can see that there's a shortcode that should display the job details. That said, please try remove this page and see if error 404 is gone. I think this error is a result of a slugs conflict.

Let me know if it helped.