Having a problem with Fundraising plugin to the point of asking

Having a problem with this plugin to the point of asking for a refund today if I cant get it working correctly.

It is accepting paypal donations, I get an email saying the payment was received. I have the URL from the plugin setup pasted in the paypal ipn setting as per instructions.

the problem is the plugin is not updating. Ive read others having issues but rarely see them being resolved.

People mention pretty links in permalinks, and I was first using /%category%/%postname%/ from the initial wordpress etup I did. Then started trying to troubleshoot this plugin, and saw people mentioning pretty link permalinks. I got confused and changed the structure to /%postname%/ and the date one, but still no updating of the progress bar and I have to manually enter the donations.

Is there a port I need opened for paypal IPN to work from my VPS hosting provider?

After making the donation I get redirected to a page that does not exist. in this format
websiteurl fundraisers/FUNDRAISER-NAME/thank-you/?pledge_id=56e38acf5b15
with this message in the post
Oh No, we can't find your Pledge. Sometimes it take a few moments for your Pledge to be logged. You can try refreshing this page

I'm getting more confused as I search around, so I figured it would be best to start a thread trying to figure this out before I cancel.

where do I need to start, or what info do I need to give for helping my setup.

thanks

• Robert
    • Flash Drive

Just to update, looking at my paypal IPN history the status of the donations is Retrying

Vaughan, Thank You I'll give those links a try. I also turned on WP debugging to work through this issue.

I'll update my progress here shortly.

• Robert
    • Flash Drive

Now Im pretty frustrated.

seeing many other unsolved posts with people having similar issues, I kept seeing reoccurring questions about other plugins causing conflicts.

So, I completely deleted and re-installed my wordpress site, and only installed this plugin and the wpmudev required bloatware to my wordpress site. There was a cache plugin that wordpress said it installs with it, but I;ve red here in many UNRESOLVED threads people mentioning that cache plugins cause conflicts. I removed all of the wordpress install plugins before installing fundraiser to minimize any conflict.

I still have the same problem, The payments are not registering on my website after the paypal transaction. Now I;ve wasted about $10 in paypal fees testing different things this past hour trying to get this premium plugin to work.

• Robert
    • Flash Drive

I've contacted my VPS hosting and they assure me it is nothing on their end

here is the paypal mesage from one of the 20 wasted money tests I;ve done this evening. Im about to give up on this plugin like so many others seem to have done.

[removed personal info]

• Robert
    • Flash Drive

Wordpress seems to install with WP super cache. I had my hopes up when I found out removing the plugin dosen't remove every setting. I followed this http://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-super-cache/other_notes/ to remove all traces

Still, no luck

http://firstkillgaming.com/fundraisers/test/thank-you/?pledge_id=19741fd205e2

gives me

Oh No, we can't find your Pledge. Sometimes it take a few moments for your Pledge to be logged. You can try refreshing this page

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

Hi

Sorry, I was in bed when I got your replies with it being 4am in the morning where I live.

First off, I don't know why it's cost you so much, you shouldn't be testing in live mode. Go to Dashboard > Fundraising > Settings > Payments

Change Paypal mode from Live to Sandbox. That will then put it in test mode.

Wordpress certainly does not install with WP Super cache, the only plugin stalled with wordpress is Akismet.

Can you send your details using the following contact form (select i have a different question from the dropdown.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Mark for attn: Vaughan
    Include a ref URL to this thread.

Please include site login details (super-admin if on multisite)
    Also include FTP login details so I can take a look at the theme files.

Thanks

• Robert
    • Flash Drive

thanks. I understand the time differences, I just wanted to update as I went along trying things.

I did try the sandbox once, but it seemed to only go as far as the paypal payment page. That was one of the first things I tried, but I may have done it wrong.

Wordpress definitely did install with WP super cache, maybe it is a result of using the installer in cpanel at hostgator, but there were about 4 plugins installed.

hello dolly
    askismet
    wp super cache
    jetpack (maybe?)

Uninstalled them all last night when wordpress was reinstalled

I'm not using multisite.

I have a vps, are you saying you want my cpanel login for this site, or the whm for the account?

I did reinstall genesis, and dynamik themes last night, after I tried this plugin with a clean install and still had the same problem.

I will email you the FTP info for this sites cpanel

Thanks

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

Hi

No, i don't need the CPanel/WHM details.

Just the FTP login details for your site & admin account details to the wordpress site itself.

Yes, those plugins could have been installed as part of your CPanel auto-installer. I've never used the auto-installers as they tend to cause more issues further down the line. I've always installed wordpress manually which only then comes with Akismet installed & yes hello dolly (which I always just delete from the plugins folder)

Thanks

• Brashell
    • The Bug Hunter

Hi @Robert I can understand how frustrating it is not being able to get a plugin to work properly and I will be more then pleased to help you resolve this issue. Please email me at brandongelfand [at] icloud.com and include your FTP access details and Admin login details. I will go through your logs and see what is possibly causing you this issue. I should be able to fix it within a few hours. But know that this isn't something that regularly happens here, and that we all do our best to keep you happy and running. With that said, lets so whats going on. Cheers! - Brandon

• Robert
    • Flash Drive

Brachell, thanks. But I gave the info to Vaughan already, I'll wait for him to do try his magic first.

Plus. TBH.. hes support, and your a member like me, I don't know this community well enough, nor what I would be vulnerable to

• Brashell
    • The Bug Hunter

@Vaughan probably has a lot going on, it will take him a while to get to it as well more then likely. He serves quite a lot of people a day, where as I have an opportunity to fix it now. If your willing to wait a few hours then by all means wait for him, but I can get to it now, I don't know how long it will be with him though as he's a busy guy. Cheers! - Brandon

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

Hi @Robert

You shouldn't need SSL. I still haven't received your details yet either. It seems you posted them on the forum as opposed to using the contact form. I believe there was confusion in you responding to the forum notification emails instead of via the link in the email. If you could resend them.

Thanks

• Robert
    • Flash Drive

hmm. I got that email, but I thought it was about the paypal IPN message I posted with personal info in it. I didnt think it was about the FTP and WP info.

I remember clicking the link for the contact form... so I thought

also, as long as the SSL don;t affect this plugin, I'll keep it for the shiney object

• Robert
    • Flash Drive

It even said thie at the bottom of the contact form

Please don't share any private information (passwords, API keys, etc.) here, support staff will ask for these via email if they are required.

but I ignored it because that was the link..

• Robert
    • Flash Drive

smoke signals? I seriously do not see how to get the info directly to you

Is this buddypress? its my first time being this confused on a forum

sorry for the sarcasm, I'm just trying not to get to frustrated and all this frustration

• Robert
    • Flash Drive

wow.. have the web admins looked at that type of confusion from a Non Buddypress backend user ie: the plug-in type of customer ?

I cant be the first person who has sent that type of personal info through the public channel instead of the email channel. People probably scrape this forum knowing it happens frequently. Within an hour after sending that info I got 2 sales pitches to my email..

Yes, I did select I Have A Support Question in the dropdown, because I figured it would get to the support area instead of the general pool.

I guess I'll send it through the I Have A different Question option now, thanks.

• Robert
    • Flash Drive

That's been my problem all along, the donation not returning. Nothing has changed about that since I started this thread. It still says

and here is a couple images showing the link for ipn and all the donations that have been retrying in my paypal ipn log
    http://firstkillgaming.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/paypal-ipn-history.jpg
    http://firstkillgaming.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/paypal-IPN-link.jpg

• Robert
    • Flash Drive

I'm going to contact hostgator customer support again and ask if they are blocking it somehow. I'm just not sure what to ask.

Yesterday I did and they said no, then gave me a link to here. I told them that is where I am working on the issue at.

• Brashell
    • The Bug Hunter

Well, nothing really, nothing unusual is used in the plugin. So again I will ask if you can email me your details @Robert and we can do this quickly, as I have done so for many others. You can also wait for Vaughan, but as I said, he has a lot of people to help. I have been doing wordpress development for a few years and am very qualified if thats what your worried about. You won't be the first person I helped, trust me.

• Brashell
    • The Bug Hunter

@Vaughan been working on this for a few hours now, time to call it a quits. I ruled out theme and plugin conflicts, I also ruled out modified core files causing the issue, scanned for missing files, freshly installed wordpress and freshly installed the plugin. I have come to the conclusion it is the host. There is some module or something missing causing it not to work. You are going to need to have one of the WPMUDEV developers take a look at it because I can't figure out whats missing. After 2 hours + I just can't figure it out, there is something missing, sorry I wasn't able to be of much help @Robert

• Robert
    • Flash Drive

I was looking around in WHM and came across something. No clue if it affect this but did you notice in Home »Server Configuration »Basic cPanel & WHM Setup

This value is similar to the previous setting, but is specifically the value used for newly created zone file’s authoritative nameserver entries.

The current value for this field is invalid. You must update it.
    86400 default

• Robert
    • Flash Drive

I think what I am going to do is just cancell my membership here, and cancell my hostgator account.

rent anohter vps, and use my gravity forms paypal pro addon

wmpudev is blaming the host, and hostgator is blaming wmpudev

Im done with this. I feel as if wmpudev is some type of forced continuity anyhow.

• Maniu
    • Developer

Hey @Robert

I am sorry you are having problems with our plugin. I will try to help you figure it out.

What i would like to know first is what are ipn transactions details. I know they are "retrying" but after you click in message id inside history, you can see all the details. Could you post information from one of them?

Thanks,
    Maniu

PS. i have heard bf4 is not as good as bf3... is it true:slight_smile:?

• Brashell
    • The Bug Hunter

Sorry to see you go @Robert although you can't blame wpmudev for what is your hosts fault. The plugin is clearly operating without an issue on several of my test sites and on 3 different hosting company servers. Hostgator is not a reputable or good company either, you get what you paid for, cheap. As I stated before as well, all their support agents are, are living and paid search engines whom do about nothing more. I am not sure how you are seeing us as a forced community either, we have been nothing but kind and as helpful to you as possible, I even spent over two hours assisting you personally and not charging you a dime. I don't work here, I simply due this out of my kindness. I normally charge $40+ an hour at a minimum rate for my work. While I wasn't able to find what was causing it exactly, it was determined it was at the fault of your host. I even kindly offered to host it for you on my server until you can get it resolved. I find it almost like a slap in the face degrading wpmudev based on a singular experience that is completely out of their control. With that said, if you still decide to stay, I will be happy to help with something that isn't caused by the server and @Maniu is one of the developers of the plugin so he will find any details I missed and might be able to help with server configuration issues. Good luck with your ventures Robert.

• Robert
    • Flash Drive

I cancelled my hostgator. and am going to open a low level vps on liquidweb for starters.

Once that is all ready to go, tomorrow morning I may give the plugin another trry.

both sides are equally blaming each other but the arrogance in last customer service chat with hostgator really turned me away from them. they did pretty much exactly what you mentioned and posted links to stuff, saying they don't support plugin problems.

the rep pretty much refused to acknowledge when I showed them many others having problems with hostgator and paypal ipn.

FYI, I normally charge $50 per hour to allow people to fix my problems.

but thanks. I'll give it another try tomorrow, because I am starting to agree that the hostgator vps may be my problem.

• Robert
    • Flash Drive

@Maniu

transaction_subject=5||fd20584d1bd9||0||0||0||0||0||0||0&payment_date=00:17:02 Dec 10, 2013 PST&txn_type=web_accept&last_name=LASTNAME&residence_country=US&item_name=Monthly Server Fund&payment_gross=1.00&mc_currency=USD&business=EMAIL1@gmail.com&payment_type=instant&protection_eligibility=Ineligible&verify_sign=AynlJ2zsmflH.74VEfIBZZJsEArxAne5IwGwHENSW7fdjK4wl0FP3zx8&payer_status=verified&tax=0.00&payer_email=EMAIL02@gmail.com&txn_id=4YS73944W7553080U&quantity=0&receiver_email=EMAIL01@gmail.com&first_name=Robert&payer_id=UUJFS5SPPC4X6&receiver_id=U8SUXKKTLVK7N&item_number=fd20584d1bd9&payment_status=Completed&payment_fee=0.33&mc_fee=0.33&mc_gross=1.00&custom=5||fd20584d1bd9||0||0||0||0||0||0||0&charset=windows-1252&notify_version=3.7&ipn_track_id=d776263116fc6

• Maniu
    • Developer

Hey @Robert

It seems like the ipn page is ok and paypal cannot access this page at all. It might be temporary but it might also mean that something is blocking it.

If you are planning on changing hosts anyway, i believe there is no point in fighting with it. Hopefully new host will not cause problems.

I am sorry it has been so problematic for you. Please let us know how it goes!

Thanks,
    Maniu

• Robert
    • Flash Drive

Just to update

Horrible experience and it all started with the sales pitch and hype of this plugins sales letters.

As you can see in this thread last solution to getting this plugin to work was for me to switch hosting. Well I did and I went with the recommended host inmotionhosting since it was local and seemed to be popular in other forums.

Well, it got worse. I had to send in a copy of my drivers license, which I figured is just to minimize hit and run type scammers.

After about 8 hours my vps was available for me to log into and start setting up my site.

I set up the domain, dns, and installed wordpress.

I tried to install a theme and got errors, I tried to install this plugin and got errors, i contacted CS and after an hour or so and a few dropped conversations I had to re-enter the que on, was told it was fixed. It wasnt

the vps sales letter said I get 5 ip''s , it only had one shared, and when I asked for an additional IP they preached to me about the worldwide limited availability of IP addresses and first denied my request, then accepted it after a CS chat.

3 days later. my site is still not able to be setup, due to what they told me were server settings on their end, they fixed. but didn't...

I just asked inmotionhosting for a refund.

Support here gave me a 3 month free premium account, but I doubt I'll be using it.

It sucks that people here got me pissed off at hostgator when I've never had any issues with them in a past.

take care

• Brashell
    • The Bug Hunter

Unfortunately your the only person who seems to be experiencing problems, no one else is. With that said, I don't know whats wrong with what your doing. You told me yourself you didn't have experience with servers, so WHY you would be trying to run why I have no idea. At this point it just seems to be you not setting things up properly. Used the plugin no problem on my inmotionhosting account, don't know what your issue is. Good luck with your stuff, don't go bagging on us though because of something that only you are experiencing. Have a nice day.

• Robert
    • Flash Drive

Brashell ... Unfortunately your the only person who seems to be experiencing problems, no one else is. With that said,...

creating your own version of the story?

I am far from the only person who has had an issue with this plugin. People give up on it after no resolution other than blame whoever else besides the plugin..

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/where-to-turn-on-ipn-in-fundraising-plugin

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/oh-no-we-cant-find-your-pledge-2

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/paypal-ipn-issues-bluehost-fundraising-progress-meter-not-updating

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/oh-no-we-cant-find-your-pledge-1

should I keep going???

here's 983 more results
    https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Apremium.wpmudev.org%2Fforums%2F+fundraiser+ipn+oh+no&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS563US563&oq=site%3Apremium.wpmudev.org%2Fforums%2F+fundraiser+ipn+oh+no&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i58.12960j0j4&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

Hey guys, Let's keep the personal insults off the forums please.

@robert

I'm sorry that you are having these issues, we have tried to resolve them, however we can't be held responsible for the issues you had with your hosting.

I have read many google threads on this issue related to Paypal IPN's with single payment gateways on hostgator servers, and it's not just isolated to our plugins.

You changed host, that's fine, your new host messed up & had issues with their server config, that sometimes happens too.

Take a step back & decide what you want to do, If you have new hosting, we can try again, there are no magic ways. All the simple payments method needs is an email address to your Paypal account (which must be a premier/business account & must be verified) Simple payments gateways uses a different system to Paypal Express which requires API access. So this should be simple to set up.

It sounds like hostgator was blocking it somehow, maybe via firewall. We can't prevent that happening.

Let me know how you wish to proceed, we can only try to resolve this if you are willing to do so.

Cheers.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.