Having issues after moving multisite from one subdomain to another

Hi,

I moved my multisite and pro-site setup from my development subdomain (site.dev.mywebsite.com) to a production subdomain (site.mywebsite.com) and now my site subdomains don't seem to work. I also noticed a message saying "* => The original Level doesn't exist, it might have been removed." and in the "Payment Gateways" > "Stripe" there is an exception which says: "Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'Exception' with message 'Stripe needs the CURL PHP extension.' in /var/www/web..."

Please advise.

Regards,
Andy

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Andy,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I moved my multisite and pro-site setup from my development subdomain (site.dev.mywebsite.com) to a production subdomain (site.mywebsite.com) and now my site subdomains don't seem to work

First, please make sure that you actually have a "wildcard subdomains" enabled for the domain. This is essential for sub-domain based WordPress Multisite install.

That being said, I suppose that while the site was being moved the database was not properly updated. Please take a look at this article on our blog and make sure that you made all necessary changes to the database:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/move-multisite-new-domain/

I also noticed a message saying "* => The original Level doesn't exist, it might have been removed."

I think this is related to the issue above so let's please take care of it first and then see if it helped with this too.

and in the "Payment Gateways" > "Stripe" there is an exception which says: "Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'Exception' with message 'Stripe needs the CURL PHP extension.' in /var/www/web..."

Just to make sure: is the site still on the same server or is it a different server? This error suggests that the CURL (which is a PHP extensions allowing it to fetch external content - like websites - in a way similar to how browser does it) is not enabled on the server. This rarely is the case if a site is being moved withing the same hosting account so I'd like to make sure about it.

Looking forward for your replay,
    Adam

• Andreu

Hey Adam!

Thank you for your prompt response.

I have followed the guide about importing the database. I have managed to fix the CURL issue by installing CURL in the new server, and realised my wildcard subdomain was not correctly setup, and I fixed it too, however, I am still seeing the message "* => The original Level doesn't exist, it might have been removed."

Why am I still seeing it?

Regards,
    Andy

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Andy!

I think this means that the not-working sub-domains and Stripe error issues are not solved, is that right?

That'd leave us with that last one error. That being said, this shows only after the site has been moved or did it started to show up even before that? Have you made any changes to Pro Sites configuration recently (e.g. removing/renaming some levels)?

Let me know please!
    Best regards,
    Adam

• Andreu

Hi Adam,

Those two issues are now fix indeed, only the message error is currently happening and I have checked and it seems that the issue was happening before in my old server.

I did change the levels when I first setup the multisite and I must assume the message has always been there... Shall I be concerned about the message? Is it something wrongly configured? Shall I do anything to get rid of it?

Thank you,
    Andy

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Andreu!

I did change the levels when I first setup the multisite and I must assume the message has always been there...

I suspected this, that's why I asked about it. This message shows up on "Network admin -> All sites" page, is that right? You should also notice that there's an asterisk mark next to some sites.

This are the sites that this message refers to. An example scenario of what could cause this:

- there were initially three levels on site: Basic, Premium, Platinium
    - the site was created using "Premium" level
    - the "Premium" level has been removed

This usually shouldn't be an issue so I'd suggest ignoring the message for now but at the same time I think you should observer if a Pro Site status is not removed from the sites that are marked with this message. By "removed" I mean automatic removal even though a user didn't cancel subscription manually.

If this would happen, let me know immediately please.

Best regards,
    Adam