Having problems figuring out the upfront builder

I am trying to figure out how the builder and editor work together. For example, I downloaded the Fixer theme, and have modified it, but when the homepage template is modified in Builder, it doesn't display as the homepage, I have to open Editor and re-edit it to how I want it.

• Predrag Dubajic

Hey Terry,

Hope you're doing well :slight_smile:

Upfront Builder is a tool to create a starter theme for the Upfront, like the ones that you can get from our Themes page.

Changes that you do with builder are saved as theme files in your theme folder, for example wp-content/theme/your_theme and once your starter theme is ready you can use it on multiple sites to start from there and add custom content on each site.

Now, when you use Upfront Editor the changes are saved in your database and are specific only for that site, and they have priority over stuff in theme files.

If you make changes in Editor then that will be the content visible on your site.
    If it didn't work this way that would mean that if you are using our child theme and we release an update it would replace all the content that you added via Editor and it would reset back to original theme.

Hope this makes it more clear and let us know if you have any followup questions about this.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Terry,

I understand that part, the problem I am having is that when I design a template page, for example, the homepage in the builder, it doesn't display the template that I have created when I go to the homepage of my website.

Once you have made changes from Editor then it will take over the Builder changes, so new elements added in Builder will not be shown there.
    If you wish to show the builder changes you will need to reset your Editor changes, you can do that from WP admin by going to Upfront > General and click on Reset Theme button.
    Note that this will reset all of your Editor changes!

Furthermore, when I design template pages, it doesn't list any of the template pages I designed under the page attributes

Can you elaborate this a bit more, did you create layouts from the available list or you created Single Page layout and added a custom name to create your own custom one?

Best regards,
    Predrag