having problems with the outgoing and bounce settings for

having problems with the outgoing and bounce settings for the e-newsletter.
#1;I think, I can use my gmail account?
#2; after entering gmail info, from gmail help page, I saved the settings. On the Bounce settings page there is only a message: Please enable "IMAP" PHP extension for bounce to work. Do I require an Imap account for the newsletter to work???
#3; The email to my test account does not work. I checked server settings and my ports are open. Do you need admin/login info?
wp3.8
plugin Version 2.6.3
https://www.saturdaynitelive.com

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @gord_parrott,

Thanks for granting access, I have taken a look.

Your settings for gmail look good and you can indeed use gmail.

2: You need to get your host to install or activate IMAP on your server, unless you have root access?

3: Your settings are correct, though sometimes the test does fail for no specific reason, could you add jack(at)incsub.com to a newsletter list and send out a real newsletter and we can see if that works :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• gord_parrott

Thanks Jack. I'll add you as suggested.I'll see what Godaddy can do for me regarding root access. I doubt it though. More likely I will need to upgrade my hosting to get Imap installed. I'll ask.

By the way, I have never used that grant-access before. That's slick. Now I'm wondering... because I have activated several wpmudev plugins, is there a chance you or someone else could address several issues on the site at one time?
    I ask because in reality, I have no idea what I have here. I have just blindly installed and configured plugins to achieve my plan to build an interactive community. It has been enough of a challenge just to get the darn things to work at all. I know there must be a ton of issues with all the components but I don't even know what questions to ask.
    I would like to understand all the capabilities, but more than that I just want the site to work to its full potential,
    I have been on this for months now and my loyal users are getting restless. Picking one perceived issue or problem at a time, is taking forever. This built in access here may be just the answer I need to finish the site off and launch, officially.
    Your ideas here are much needed and appreciated..

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @gord_parrott,

Thanks for the additional information, they won't allow you root access, but they may install it for you :slight_smile:

Yep, the grant access is a pretty new addition, glad you like it! :slight_smile:

Well technically we shouldn't as each thread should have it's own issue, but as it's you, go on then :slight_smile: Though depending on the exact issue, I may have to ask you to open a thread, just so I can get a developer on it, but let's hope not :slight_smile:

What sort of other issues are you having then? I'm here to help.

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• gord_parrott

Jack, Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I was working on the email Imap. thing. The only Imap I was able to get working was on gmail. But that didn't help it seems.
    Godaddy appears to want me to upgrade to a business plan with unlimitted emails, before they support Imap. I'm not sure if that means Imap is not installed. I certainly do not require unlimited emails. I use only 4 of the 100 that they allow me now. Still further investigation is needed. so perhaps a newsletter is not so important.
    The questions I have are of two types, regarding the wpmudev plugins.
    One; Is it set up and working as the programmer designed?
    and two;
    Are there better ways to deploy them on my BuddyPress/bbPress site that members will have a less confusing experience? ie Best practices?
    The simplest plugins to start with are Directory and Classifieds as they are so similar.
    They come with virtual pages. I have only placed their main page, Listing and Classified, in the menu. Is it best practice to have all pages in the menu? BuddyPress shows users a menu from which they can add/edit either one from their profile page.
    Plan for the future is to have one or two Paid Listing types, for commercial shops.
    Perhaps there is a better more direct way for site visitors to interact with classified owners?

A more complicated plugin is Ultimate Facebook.
    Although there is basic functionality, I am not confident of it's set-up at all
    The reason for having this plugin was for easy user-signup. I have both WP and FB employed at the moment. I tried to re-direct signed in members to their member profile page but that messed Admin up...Had to sign-up multiple times to get access to my dashboard and was very frustrating. Turned that off. How is that suppose to work?
    Other issues include:
    1 - Share buttons don't share the appropriate image
    2 - I believe it is responsible for several custom fields that are on post- edit pages.
    What are these for? Should they be available to members who want to create a post? Is it common practice to enable auto post to FB? Best practices?

Be aware I have 2 Facebook apps, one more for the Calendar, that is supposed to allow members to post an event, as an event, on Twitter and Facebook. (not just a share). This is working. I do not think there are any conflicts with the calendar.
    As you may not be available at the time of writing, I will await your response before granting access again.
    Thanks - good luck with this.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.