having similar functions/permissions issue across several themes....help!

I get the first two errors on the uploads page for the WPMU Triden theme - then get the rest of the errors when I try to upload a new header - and have similar errors on other themes I have tried as well -

I checked and the is NO gallery file being created, instead it is blogs.dir/1/files/2010/04

Warning: mkdir() [function.mkdir]: Permission denied in /home/secondwi/public_html/community/wp-content/themes/wpmu-triden/functions.php on line 1499

Warning: chmod() [function.chmod]: No such file or directory in /home/secondwi/public_html/community/wp-content/themes/wpmu-triden/functions.php on line 1500

These are the errors after I actually attempt to upload the header:

Warning: move_uploaded_file(/home/secondwi/public_html/community/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/gallery/bg-high.png) [function.move-uploaded-file]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/secondwi/public_html/community/wp-content/themes/wpmu-triden/functions.php on line 1529

Warning: move_uploaded_file() [function.move-uploaded-file]: Unable to move '/tmp/phpQbZEt4' to '/home/secondwi/public_html/community/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/gallery/bg-high.png' in /home/secondwi/public_html/community/wp-content/themes/wpmu-triden/functions.php on line 1529

Warning: chmod() [function.chmod]: No such file or directory in /home/secondwi/public_html/community/wp-content/themes/wpmu-triden/functions.php on line 1530

Warning: opendir(/home/secondwi/public_html/community/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/gallery/) [function.opendir]: failed to open dir: No such file or directory in /home/secondwi/public_html/community/wp-content/themes/wpmu-triden/functions.php on line 1541
Upload Images And Patterns
Photo

Warning: opendir(/home/secondwi/public_html/community/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/gallery/) [function.opendir]: failed to open dir: No such file or directory in /home/secondwi/public_html/community/wp-content/themes/wpmu-triden/functions.php on line 1583

This is my first WPMU install - long time WP user but this is all new to me! Any and help is greatly appreciated!!

Melody