Having trouble setting up subscription plans

Hi

I'm having a bit of trouble setting up my subscription levels at the moment.

1. The first issue I'm having, is that when a new member tries to sign up, they go to click on the link in their email address and they get taken to the protected content page. As a result, they cannot activate their account. Why is this, and how can I keep testing it's working without having to set up a new email address and account each time I try to fix it?

2. Secondly, do I need an actual 'free' membership option to actually be listed in my subscription plans?

If you see my page at Link removed at members request which is my page for basic users to upgrade to business level of membership (basic or advanced) You can see that even when a new member is registered, they can still see this free sign up option. Should it be there?

3. I seem to be getting issues with users who are on a free subscription, they can't see the sign up buttons when on register-2 to upgrade their membership to a business membership. Why is this please?

4. When a member has no subscription level assigned to them, the sign up buttons on register-2 do display, but clicking on them just results in being taken back to the home page.

5. With basic business subscription, members can see no buttons again.

Can anyone help me with this today if possible please?

Thanks

Sally

• aristath

Hello again @Sally!

1. The first issue I'm having, is that when a new member tries to sign up, they go to click on the link in their email address and they get taken to the protected content page. As a result, they cannot activate their account. Why is this, and how can I keep testing it's working without having to set up a new email address and account each time I try to fix it?

Have you tried using our Remove Email Verification plugin? https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/remove-email-verification-from-signup/

2. Secondly, do I need an actual 'free' membership option to actually be listed in my subscription plans?

No, you don't need one. You can simply have an access level assigned to all non-paying members.

3. I seem to be getting issues with users who are on a free subscription, they can't see the sign up buttons when on register-2 to upgrade their membership to a business membership. Why is this please?

You can simply delete the free subscription level and assign them an access level as described above.

Can you please try that and let me know if it resolves your other issues as well?

Please advise,
    Ari.

• Sally

Hi Ari

With regards to the email verification problem, I've not tried that as I do want emails to be verified to cut down on spam registrations, but the buddypress registration and email verification system did work fine before membership was installed, so will it be possible to get it all working again?

Regarding the free subscription, I've now removed that (but left a free users access level, is this right?)

Sadly, it doesnt appear to have made a difference to my other problems :slight_frown: Is there something else I can do?

Thanks

Sally

• Patrick

Hi @Sally

I got here from this thread:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/is-anyone-around-to-answer-my-posts-please-ive-got-a-few

Regarding your point #1: have you set the Account page as a piece of protected content in your Stranger access level? If so, newly registered users won't be able to access it until they login, which they can't do until they access that page. Catch 22. :slight_smile:

Please be sure that page is accessible to users on your Stranger level.

And yes, you do need a free access level that you assign as your Stranger level whether you're offering a free subscription or not. If you do not assign a level as the Stranger level, all site visitors will be simply locked out.

Regarding question #3 & #4, you may need to adjust the setting for Renewal & Upgrade period limits under the Configuration tab in Membership options.

Also, could you post a screenshot of your General and Membership Pages tabs please? It would help to see how you have set things up.

• Sally

Hi Patrick

Thanks for your help.

After reading Conhost's advice at https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/is-anyone-around-to-answer-my-posts-please-ive-got-a-few?replies=10#post-595888 regarding only using negative rules, I decided yes, I was probably over-complicating things. I couldn't see the wood for the trees so to speak, so I've now been through every access level and removed all permissions to start again using only negative permissions.

At the moment, I have 4 access levels;

stranger - unregistered users

free - registered users who can use all parts of the site except for they cannot post business listings in the directory, or reply to job requests in the dog walkers wanted section I'm trying to set up at

Link removed at members request

basic business - Can do everything except reply to job requests (and CAN list a business in the directory)

advanced business - Can do everything inc post listings in directory and respond to job requests.

So I'm now trying to set all this up with negative rules only, I have advanced business membership set with no negative permissions at all, so all is ok there.

Now moving on to basic business users, I'm leaving everything open, except I need to somehow stop these users from responding to job requests. How do you recommend I do this? I thought of using the 'read more' tab to hide job contact details, but this not only seems a bit primitive for the person advertising the job (I'd rather they kept their privacy through the use of a form), it also means I have to manually go through each and every job ever submitted to add a more tab. It also seems to stop all users from being able to read anything after the more tab in directory listings, so unless they click on the main title of the listing, they don't see the entire company details. This will affect every user from basic business membership right down to stranger level if I do it this way. Is there a better way?

Free users and strangers, I'm currently struggling to find how to stop them from being able to add anything to the business directory.

I've tried adding the shortcode [dr_add_listing_btn] to the negative rules, and most of the other shortcodes beginning with dr, but the button still displays on the bottom right of my homepage and the page is still displaying when I click on it to submit a new listing. Whilst I don't mind the button displaying for all users (and taking those below a business membership to a signup page), I don't want them to be able to add a listing for free. What do you recommend with this please?

Thanks for all your help.

Sally

• aristath

Hello again!

I'm sorry for the delay on this post, I was sick for a few days and was unable to work.

You should be able to do this by using some custom templates in your theme. If you create custom templates for the Directory plugin, then you can use these functions as conditionals and wrap for example the reply form inside a level check: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/checking-member-level-via-php#post-104672

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Ari.

• Sally

Hi Ari

I'm sorry to say, I'm completely lost here!

I just went and ticked the Create template file for: Directory_listing box, clicked save, then realised, that's wrong, because its the WP job manager plugin I'm wanting to restrict the reply form on, not the directory plugin. Now I can't uncheck it, is this going to be a problem?

With regards to creating a custom template for the plugin (I presume for the wp job manager one), where do I start? All I can find online is instructions on how to create page templates, which doesn't sound the same?

The page you sent me with the codes on tells me some codes, but not where to put them. I'm afraid I've never done this before, so I need some sort of tutorial preferably or a step by step guide, because it all sounds a bit complicated.

That's not to say I don't want to learn how to do it, but I honestly just don't know where to begin. Can you point me towards some step by step instructions please?

Also, could you tell me which rule I need to add to the negative permissions to stop strangers and free users from being able to add anything to the directory please? I'm struggling to find one which works!

Thanks

Sally

• Patrick

Hey there @Sally

I believe the plugin you are using - WP job manager - uses shortcodes for almost everything on the front-end, correct?

If that is the case, then I presume you have a submission form somewhere on your site. The shortcode you use to display that form can simply be enclosed in the appropriate access level shortcodes to limit its use to only the levels you authorize.

For example:

[level-member]
    [submit_job_form]
    [/level-member]

Would that not be much easier?

• Sally

Hi Patrick and Ari

Thanks for your replies and sorry for the delay in replying, I've been bouncing around from one plugin to another trying to find a solution to this.

The problem with your suggestion Patrick is that it's not the submissions I'm trying to block, sorry for any confusion - it's the replies to the submissions I'm trying to block from everyone except advanced business users.

Basically, dog owners need to be able to list the jobs on the site - so everyone from a free membership upwards should be able to do this

BUT

Only advanced business members should be allowed to reply to these listings, as they will have paid a premium in order to be able to contact these people and offer their services.

Hope that makes sense and I pray there is some way to do this, I've been hitting a brick wall for days now with various plugins including now today trying Bepro listings as an option, but still to no avail.

I'm really not bothered which plugin I go with to get this working right now, so long as it's free, I can allow each dog owner to include a pic of the dog and I can stop anyone replying to the the listings except those advanced users.

If you could help I would really really appreciate it!

Thanks

Sally

• Sally

Hi Ari

Just replied on another thread about this too :slight_smile:

I'm trying to solve this using the method here https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/how-do-i-set-this-up-am-i-doing-it-the-right-way

So I'll stick to that thread now and mark this one as resolved, but I would appreciate anyone helping over on that thread if they are able to, as it's definitely still not resolved still sadly :slight_frown:

Thanks!

Sally

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.