Having trouble with finding domain mapping in my install

I have multisite, buddypress, pro site and membership installed on 1 subsite.

All seem to be working well so far.

I have installed domain mapping, followed the directions in the usage pages for moving the sunrise.php to wp-content, adding the phrase to the right location in the wp-config.php file.
Then I network activated, and configured it in settings.

Problem is when I go to my 1st main subsite, or the 2nd subsite, it is not there to use or work with - not in the plugins, or the side menu. I just double checked to make sure I gave permission for domain mapping to be used on the subsite levels, true.

Before I add these lines,
If you are having problems with domain mapping you should try removing the following lines from your wp-config.php file:.

define( 'DOMAIN_CURRENT_SITE', 'theecoaccelerator.com' );
define( 'PATH_CURRENT_SITE', '/' );
define( 'SITE_ID_CURRENT_SITE', 1 );
define( 'BLOG_ID_CURRENT_SITE', 1 );
Note: If your domain mapping plugin is WORKING correctly, then please LEAVE these lines in place.

is there anything obvious that I am forgetting to do? I have looked in the forums and can't find anything close to this. Thanks in advance!

• Vaughan

hiya

the domain mapping will be in your network dashboard > settings menu

once you have installed it, you need to map the domains you want to use on your subsite by either parking the domain on your server, then pointing it to your public_html

or by using A Records.

i'm not sure what you mean when you say "I just double checked to make sure I gave permission for domain mapping to be used on the subsite levels, true." domain mapping has to be network activated.

on each subsite, you should see a domain mapping menu item in Dashboard > Tools.

hope this helps.

• iempoweru

@Vaughan @Ajay Aravind Ahhh, tools. Found it. Thank you!

Just tried it and here are the results;
    I purchased a domain name this morning that I want to put on one of my subsites. I tried to add it and got this message:

"Domain name is unavailable to access. We can't access the new domain. If you've just purchased it, please, wait while it will be propagated. If it is already propagated, please, check your DNS records to be sure that the domain is configured correctly."

I just talked with my host and it is propagated and assigned to this ip address.

Suggestions? Thanks in advance for all of your help!

• Kenton

Are you using Sub-domain or Sub-directory? Also double check it has been added in your hosting account and pointed to the "public_http" or "root folder".

I have domains on Godaddy and host with Bluehost. So I point DNS to bluehost and just to be safe add an "A record" in godaddy to point to the ip addy on bluehost. Once its propagated I add it as a "parked" domain using bluehost. As it need to point to the same directory as the main site.

From what you have describe, it seems like the plugin is setup correctly and since they mentioned propagation, it sounds like the domain is with one company and DNS is pointing to the main site for hosting. I believe the issue is with the hosting (main site) side by not having the domain added as a parked domain and pointing to the root folder (the same folder as the main Wordpress install).

• iempoweru

@Kenton @Vaughan @Ajay Aravind Ahhh

Thanks very much for your help Kenton. I did some checking and here is further info:

1) sub directory
    2) I am in the file manager for the multisite and the domain in question is in the Web root(public_html) folder also
    3) the domain was purchased at bluehost for the multisite account on a vps server at bluehost and has been assigned to that account
    4) as I said before I have redirected dns before and have never worked with "A" records and am not sure what to do with those, please advise
    5) I believe that it is already pointed to the right location based on what I said in #2

Thanks again for all your help!

• Kenton

Thank you for the feedback iempoweru,

2) I am in the file manager for the multisite and the domain in question is in the Web root(public_html) folder also

When you say the domain is in the Web root; do you mean a folder with the domain name? This should be set when you "park" using domain manager. Parked domains with bluehost automatically point to the root folder.

3) the domain was purchased at bluehost for the multisite account on a vps server at bluehost and has been assigned to that account

The name servers should be ns1.bluehost.com and ns2.bluehost.com unless they have given you something different for the VPS. However since you purchased this domain with bluehost the name servers should already be set up.
    The other thing is when you say "assigned" is it set as a parked domain or as an addon domain? It should be "parked" under domain manager.

4) as I said before I have redirected dns before and have never worked with "A" records and am not sure what to do with those, please advise

Under domain manger check the box next to the "parked" domain and click manage DNS records; verify the A record for "@" is pointing to the VPS server IP address. If not, then you will need to edit this to point to the VPS server IP.

Let me know what you find. :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.