Having Trouble with Membership

version 3.4.3.1...

I have set up a membership and created pages that are supposed to be members only but have discovered some weirdness and do not know how best to proceed...

As a visitor (not logged in) I have complete access to all of the protected pages.
Logged in as a member who should have access - I can "see" the pages I created for members about a month ago, but as far as two new pages created yesterday - not visible and even weirder, one the existing pages that I added some content to yesterday, shows to the member an earlier revision (sans new content) - yet the visitor who should not see any of this gets the updated page.

I am not sure what to do - I hesitate to upgrade to 3.4.4 because my understanding was that coupons were not fully implemented - and I send out a campaign today prior to discovering the issue that is totally dependent upon the coupons being available.

I ran verify database and it returns all OK.

What to do?

• Timothy Bowers

Hey there.

Basically every level is totally independent of the other. So if you protect content in one, it doesn't protect it in another.

Each level must be set to to explicitly protect the content otherwise it will be available.

For example if using a positive rule to allow access to three pages, all the rest for that level would be protected.

If it were the other way around and 3 pages were in the negative rule then all other pages would not be protected.

one the existing pages that I added some content to yesterday, shows to the member an earlier revision (sans new content) - yet the visitor who should not see any of this gets the updated page.

Sounds like that might be some caching issue for the user who should see it. And it sounds like the user who does see it but shouldn't is on a level which doesn't protect the content.

I would start by going through the levels and ensure that each level only has access to what I wanted them to see and nothing else.

Remember that if you don't select any pages for a positive or negative rule, then by default a user on that level will see them because membership isn't giving any rules to deal with the content and so it's just available.

Hope that makes sense. :slight_smile:

Take care.

• MScott821

I turned off caching to see if that had something to do with the old page/new page - and it does not.

Ok - so I'm not sure that I get what I need to do.

I have two levels right now - Visitor (for non members) and Toolkit.

Toolkit has access rules: Positive for Categories Public and Toolkit Pages. All member pages are assigned the Toollkit categories and the public homepage and the like are assigned Public category - so in essence Toolkit member see it all.

The Visitor access level has these rules:
    Negative on Categories - Toolkit.

So, that should mean that Visitors NEVER see Toolkit page and Toolkit members do.

But it ain't working like that. As I said, a non-logged in visitor can in fact see even more than the Toolkit member, while the Toolkit members are missing the new pages - even though all pages are assigned categories correctly.

How can I "reset" things so that it works like it should.

Oh, and BTW - logged in as the Super Member Admin, I can see all of the Toolkit pages AND the correct (revised) versions of the Toolkit pages that were modified yesterday.

If I delete all access levels and start over, will this "blow out" whatever is apparently corrupted?

• MScott821

All right -

I have worked through some of what I had going - different versions of same page showing to different users...

However, unless I am being REALLY obtuse - which is fully possible - it seems that the plugin still is not protecting the "protected" content.

Try this link and see if you get it to load:
    http://crmsuccessplans.com/stressfreeitsupport/oatk-wordpress-video-kit-home-2/seo-and-social-media-for-wordpress/

That is a page that is supposed to be blocked to visitors via a negative category rule in the visitor ("stranger") level - yet I can open this without being logged in...

OK, perhaps I still am not getting how to set up access rules.

I am using Category rules to manage the content.

Visitors have negative rule for category for membership content pages and members have positive category rule for same. Seems simple enough...

What am I missing?

• Timothy Bowers

Oh, and BTW - logged in as the Super Member Admin, I can see all of the Toolkit pages AND the correct (revised) versions of the Toolkit pages that were modified yesterday.

Membership admins see it all regardless.

Try this link and see if you get it to load:
    http://crmsuccessplans.com/stressfreeitsupport/oatk-wordpress-video-kit-home-2/seo-and-social-media-for-wordpress/

That is a page that is supposed to be blocked to visitors via a negative category rule in the visitor ("stranger") level - yet I can open this without being logged in...

I see 4 videos.

You said this is protected through categories?

But these are pages, are you doing something custom to enable categories because by default pages have no taxonomies?

Perhaps you could include screenshots of the settings page (where stranger level is set) and of the actual levels themselves?

I might need to take a look, Membership is a complex plugin where sometimes it's just easier to see the issue in person.

I'll have a look at the screenshots first though and see if there is something I notice.

Cheers.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.