Having trouble with the backups locally and through Dropbox.

When I download the backup that was created and stored locally and try to unpack the zip file it is empty. There is a log and it is about 800mb. The Zip file downloaded is about 150mb but is apparently empty.

When I try to create a backup on another site with a lot of forms through gravity forms it says there is an error -10 associated with a gravity form file. The log for the snapshot has no details and is blank in this case.

In neither case can I get snapshots to work as a back up solution. Is there some core knowledge I need to understand better? What can I do to fix these separate issues?

• Vaughan

hiya

thanks for posting.

I'm not sure why the zip is empty, other than the compression must have been stopped. an m800mb error_log is huge, be hardpressed even opening that to read.

rename the error_log file.

then can you enable WP_DEBUG in your wp-config.php

then retry creating a new snapshot. let us know any reported errors, including ones in the error_log that should have been created.

thanks

• Paul

@rmandmllc,

When I download the backup that was created and stored locally and try to unpack the zip file it is empty. There is a log and it is about 800mb. The Zip file downloaded is about 150mb but is apparently empty.

It is probably not empty. Are you running Windows 7/8? Had a similar issue reported last week https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/where-is-the-snapshot-of-the-db-stored#post-416522 Thought this was fixed but might not be. Can you try another way to view the zip archive contents.

When I try to create a backup on another site with a lot of forms through gravity forms it says there is an error -10 associated with a gravity form file. The log for the snapshot has no details and is blank in this case.

I'm really not sure what this even means. Snapshot is a backup tool run within your wp-admin and should not effect Gravity Forms which runs on the front-end of your site. Please provide more details.

ERROR: PcLZIP file:media add failed -4: File '/home/apexex/public_html/wp-content/uploads/wpcf7_captcha/1367387974.php' does not exist [code -4]

What is happening when you first initiate the backup Snapshots sets up a list of all the files it will include in the archive. If the files change it will through an error. My thought is you need to exclude the directory '/home/apexex/public_html/wp-content/uploads/wpcf7_captcha/' from your snapshot backups. To do this go to Snapshot > Settings You will see the global exclude section.

Some other suggestions:

1. Go to Snapshot > Settings. You will see a panel for 'System Info'. Please provide this for our debug information. Screenshot is fine as long as it is readable.

2. Depending on how large your individual sites are try to backup just the database tables as one snapshot. Then create another snapshot for just themes and plugin. Then a third for just media/uploads. Then you can have your database tables and media snapshots run at different intervals than your themes and plugins. Mainly because the database and media change more often.

3. Make sure you are giving Snapshot enough memory. Be default Snapshot will only use the amount of system memory allowed per WordPress. To provide more memory go to Snapshot > Settings. Look for the panel 'Memory Info'. This memory is JUST for the backup processing which depending on how large your site is you might need to increase. This is better than adding memory via your wp-config.php

Let us know.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.