HB Minify messes fontAwesome Icons on page

As soon as Minify in Hummingbird is activated, the icons in my nav menus get messed up & display as little squares instead.

Seems related to fontAwesome.

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Renan,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I tried to check your site but it seems that support access is no longer active. Could you please enable it for me so I could take a closer look at the issue?

To do so, please go to the "WPMU DEV -> Support" page in your site's back-end and click on "Grant Support Access" button there and let me know here when it's active again.

I'll then access your site and investigate the issue.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Renan,

Apologies for the delay here.

I was checking your site and when minification is active I do still see the icons, however I did notice that there are errors in console about the icon font and that probably can cause squares to show on some different browsers.

These errors seem to be related to CDN and when I disabled WPMUDEV CDN in Minification settings the errors are gone and you should see the icons now as well.

I did some research about that error and you should be able to go around it by using this solution https://stackoverflow.com/a/28236969

Try applying that, re-enable CDN and then check if the icons are still shown.

Let us know how it goes.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Renan
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Predag,

Thanks for your support.

Let me ask one question. I'm currently using Cloudways as my host and they do have their own CDN. Can i keep using their CDN and disabled WPMUDEV CDN? By doing that, i can keep using the benefits of a CDN and also not having the problem with the icons...

What do you think?

Thanks,

Renan

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Renan!

Yes, you can keep using their CDN and keep WPMU DEV CDN disabled. In fact, our CDN is a bit different tool as it's very "specialized": it's only used to serve minified resources and it works "sort of" in background.

It's not required by minification/Hummingibird. It can really improve site performance in many cases but also might not be necessary or even conflicting in case of some setups, hence the option to switch it off :slight_smile:

The bottom line is: yes, you can keep it disabled while still keeping your Cloudways CDN and minification enabled and you'd still benefit from both these tools.

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.