HB Minify settings mess with layout

On members site, (Siteground) with cloudflare (tried disabling cloudflare & siteground caching).

Whenever Minify is enabled, even as default, only minified files, none moved to the footer or inline at all. The page layout of the site is messed up.

Tried changing some options to inline & then back again, but always the same results. It shouldn't affect page layouts when just simply minifying files only.

We've tried disabling SG caching & cloudflare, but nothing seems to solve this other than disabling minification.

• James Morris

Hello admin,

I hope you are well today. I'll be following up with you regarding your chat.

With the Minification module in Hummingbird, it's not uncommon for the defaults to cause a layout to break. This isn't so much a fault of Hummingbird as it is a fact that there are no consistent standards on how themes and plugins are coded. This is why it's very important to test this feature on a per-file basis to ensure that your plugin/theme will work with it.

Here is a short example video of me doing such a test on my dev site: https://youtu.be/d5-lO9DOm8g

Basically, you want to enable the module, disable all minification, relocation, deferring, etc for all files with the module active. Then re-enable on a per-file basis until done, or something breaks.

This is a bit of a tedious process, but... This is one of Hummingbird's most powerful features. Where other plugins just give you an on/off button and make you figure out what you need to exclude yourself, Hummingbird gives you a dashboard where you can be VERY granular in your optimization steps.

The cost of this is that it requires a little more initial setup work on your end. The benefit is, if you do this, you will have a highly optimized site. I've consistently seen Google PageSpeed scores of 96+ when this plugin is used correctly.

Also, by testing these files one at a time, you can then better identify which file is causing the issues and either exclude it, or work with the original developer to find a way to make it more friendly for optimization.

I hope this clarifies a bit. Let us know if you have any further questions. We'll be happy to help. :slight_smile:

Best regards,

James Morris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.