Header Logo, Page Template Blogs & News

Hi,

currently I'm on fine-tune my website, using the BP Daily. Two questions:

1. How can I place the logo in the header in the middle? Currently it puts at the top. And is it also possible to make the distance to the top and to the bottom bigger? (so that the whole header space is becoming bigger too).

2. Although the front-page features of Daily theme is very beautiful and innovative, but for my current purpose it does not fit a lot, the blogs entries in my website using a lot of slideshare and vector graphics. I want to have the normal blogs entries just like the normal WP blog. Therefor I put a page called "Weblog" using the blogs & News template as the frontpage. The problem here:
- it listed only 5 => how can I change to 10
- It just give a short summary => how can I make a full text (longer one)

thanks a lot,

ht
http://sinau.me

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

@htjitra: Here are my responses:

1. You would have to add a class to the logo and edit header.php to do that. It all depends on if you mean logo or custom image. You can make the space whatever you need you need to do your own CSS that is up to you what you do. I would suggest a tool called firebug to find the class to edit.

2. I don't really know what you want here I think you mean you want to edit the blog/news template. You can't change the excerpt length easily without coding here is a link you would have to do that yourself:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/the_excerpt

As for the amount of pagination you can change this:

<?php $page = (get_query_var('paged')) ? get_query_var('paged') : 1; query_posts("cat=&showposts=5&paged=$page"); while ( have_posts() ) : the_post();

to this:

<?php $page = (get_query_var('paged')) ? get_query_var('paged') : 1; query_posts("cat=&showposts=10&paged=$page"); while ( have_posts() ) : the_post();

• htjitra
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Dear Tammy,

thanks for the quick response. I think for my first question, it will takes time for me to do it.

But for the second one, what is the file name I should change, and where can I find the file?
    In this template, I also found out that the link "previous entries" does not work. It links to nowhere. Would you mind to take a look (at the end of the page).

http://sinau.me

thanks a lot.

best,

ht

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

@htjitra: Hmm I think you have some confusion then perhaps?

Are you using the template file by attaching to a page in this way:

1. Edit this line in the file template-blognews.php:

<?php $page = (get_query_var('paged')) ? get_query_var('paged') : 1; query_posts("cat=&showposts=10&paged=$page"); while ( have_posts() ) : the_post();</p>
    <p>					?><br />

2. Create a page and under template at the side link up the blog news template to this page

If you are doing that it will work. BUT if you are not using the blog and news template it will never pick those up and you need to look to your post reading settings and removing the home page.

• htjitra

Hi Tammy,

I did use the blog-new-template as it is provided by the theme. I created a new page using the template, than set it as a front-page in the reading setting.

So far it works, only the previous links doesnt work.

The code you provided is something missing or ...? I dot get what I should do, because the code is already there.

Pls advice.

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

@htjitra: If you are setting as the home page you should use the index.php and remove the home.php that is the best method to keep pagination as sometimes the other method doesn't work for the front page. It does work on internal pages. Just remove the file home.php and it will without you doing any settings work - then under reading > settings - set that to 10 posts. Far easier if we're talking front page. Sorry wasn't clear you were doing front page before.

• htjitra

@Tammie,

I just did as you said, I set it back in the reading setting, than I removed the home.php in .../themes/BP-Daily/

but it doesnt work. It showed an empty page in the front page.

Than I tried also to rename the index.php into home.php => also this second method doesnt work.

Any other suggestion? (the original front-page from the theme doesnt work for me, as the blog entries mostly are text or slideshare and seldom with graphics.

Any other suggestion?

best,

ht

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.