Header name

Hi,

Why is my header name can not be changed, even if I complete the change that still appear as gridmarket. why?

• Timothy Bowers

Hey there.

I was just testing on my sandbox and it seems to work for me.

Can you try using the reset the defaults on that page and make the settings again by selecting text.

If that doesn't work then it could be a conflict, you would need to disable all other plugins and then test again. If it then works you can reactivate one at time and test again, when it happens you will have found the one causing the conflict.

Let me know how that goes.

• Mark Wallace

Hi Tim

I just went in the site: http://whosbag.tw/wordpress/

I change it in the theme option, the blog title in the settings. I tried custom header, text, blog name.

I also deactivated all plugins, and did it again. Ive included a snip shot of my last attempt, but i see from your post you know what is being referd too.

The site is in traditional chinese, and there is a conflict with wp-native dashboard and the theme my login plugins. This is a test site so the wp-native dashboard ws removed until the bug is fixed.

Any advice will be well recieved. Thanks Tim!

• Timothy Bowers

Hey there.

If we are talking about the theme customiser then it won't work there. You see the title we pull there is based upon the options defined in:

Admin --> Appearances --> Theme Options

Its a custom function and doesn't pull the data defined in:

Admin --> Settings --> General

Which is what the customiser options refer to.

Please confirm if this is the case of where you are trying?

Thanks.

• Mark Wallace

Hi Tim!

I tried it in the theme and in the Dashboard >> Settings >>general with the blog name. There was three boxes Text, Image, Title; i tried it on all three of those as well,

I also tried in the theme header where it says add text to header. This is where things got a little weird. I noticed all the header images for the twenty-eleven theme were there, but the twenty eleven theme is not activated???

I am wondering if maybe uninstalling and reinstalling might fix it, but not sure what all files he changed, so he may need to be reminded of that if you think it will work. He should be up and checking thing out in about 4 hours.

I have to cut out for a while this evening, selling the house and the realtor is doing a showing, So MD will probably reply before I do. Don't let the language barrier full ya; he knows his way around and learns fast. Not to mention is very adventurous when it comes time to modify files. lol

Thanks Tim!

• Mark Wallace

Hi MD!

Did you install this on xxamp? If so let me set you up a test enviroment on the server. That xxamp seems to cause a lot of unexplained problems.

If you are willing to do this let me know. I have to run some errons tonight, before i go to bed. So i will check back before i go to bed. If you like i can set you up 2 or 3 test enviroments with FTP so you can test different things and have one to do a final build.

I should be back between 2 - 3 AM my time, so thats 3 - 4 PM your time. I can set the test envirments up and email you the information.

Thanks MD!

• Mark Wallace

Hi Tim

We have had a lot of trouble with the ch_TW WP Install.

Everything from plugin conflicts, translation plugin conflicts, translation plugin conflicting with other plugins, theme problems but some are bugs in the theme, and some are in plugins.

This is not WPMU Dev plugins only, but other companies, and individual written plugins. << Wanted to make that clear so you don't think I am ungrateful for yours and everyone’s help here.

This is about the ch_TW install! You and i discussed the ch_TW install before, and i mentioned before that things seemed to be in different orders than from the English WP Install. This was in the wp-config file. So quick questions:

1. Are we the only people you have heard of having problems with non-English installs conflicting with English written plugins and themes?

2. If a English install is used and mo & po files are changed in themes and plugins are changed; how can we protect the changes from updates, while updating the plugin. (Not having to keep an older plugin version to prevent losing the mo & po)?

3. The wp-config file will need to be change when translating plugins. So same question as question 2; how to protect the changes in wp-config during an update?

4. Would it be better to work through the bugs in the ch_TW install?

And Good morning/Afternoon! Now i have to start a feature and feedback request. We need spell check for the WPMU Dev forums. lol

• Timothy Bowers

Hey again.

1. Your not the only ones, but often with our plugins/themes its something the user missed. Not always, when we find a bug we fix it of course. But I've not done much debugging on installs using Chinese characters (or similar).

2. You could upload those files to your WP languages folder as a backup and then copy them over when updating.

Or alternatively do manual updates rather than auto, this way all the files don't get removed.

3. WP-Config should only change if you change it. Updates don't overwrite that file as a rule.

4. As I don't those languages its hard for me to say the exact problems. I guess I would need to see em.

I use the browsers spell checker, sometimes it auto corrects something wrong and I miss it. lol

Take care.

• Mark Wallace

HelloO

1. Your not the only ones, but often with our plugins/themes its something the user missed. Not always, when we find a bug we fix it of course. But I've not done much debugging on installs using Chinese characters (or similar).

This is my first time with a non-English install. It seems to raise more questions! If I am having this much trouble, what would the experience be for a Chinese, French, or Arabic user; if I translated an English install into their language.

2. You could upload those files to your WP languages folder as a backup and then copy them over when updating.

I need to study mo and po more. I take it there is only one mo and po file for every theme, plugin, and WP install "They each have their own." So have locals translated the mo and po save them somewhere safe; upload them after every update

3. WP-Config should only change if you change it. Updates don't overwrite that file as a rule.

This does not get changed even in a WP core update?

4. As I don't those languages its hard for me to say the exact problems. I guess I would need to see em.

lol I know a place you can test any WPMU Dev product on non-English installs. Just tell me what language you want. lol I will even make it so simple for you. I can lay out one website for you in English, and be so kind to let you change it into as many languages as you like. I won't even charge you. hehehe :slight_smile:

I use the browsers spell checker, sometimes it auto corrects something wrong and I miss it. lol

What browser? Do Chrome and IE9 have spell check? I will have that googled before you respond to it. :slight_smile:

Take care.

Yep Yep; You too!

• Timothy Bowers

We do have a large number of users from around the world including France, china, etc. I'm not sure how they get on though.

I need to study mo and po more. I take it there is only one mo and po file for every theme, plugin, and WP install "They each have their own." So have locals translated the mo and po save them somewhere safe; upload them after every update

They are all named by the lang like ch_TW and each plugin/theme can contain multiple files, so you could have all translations in there for use.

mo - Machine readable
    po - People readable

I suppose that is the best way to remember them. So WordPress uses the mo file and the po file is for you to use for editing languages in apps like PoEdit.

This does not get changed even in a WP core update?

Not really, no. I think (but could be wrong) the last addition was the extra salt keys.

lol I know a place you can test any WPMU Dev product on non-English installs. Just tell me what language you want. lol I will even make it so simple for you. I can lay out one website for you in English, and be so kind to let you change it into as many languages as you like. I won't even charge you. hehehe :slight_smile:

Well if you want help just ask. :wink: lol

Seriously though, if you want me to take a peek I really don't mind. (I won't be online for a few days from tonight, for a change)

And ya I know its in Chrome. I also have Opera, Safari and FF. No IE though. :slight_smile:

Take care.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.