Help adding new Subscriptions

I would like to add some new subscriptions, but I can't find much detail on this in the docs, so could you please help with the following problem i have.

I want to create a new membership, one that has a higher subscription price, same levels. Simple enough for new subscribers, but how can I handle upgraders and what they pay to upgrade?

By this, I mean what happens if a user that signed up to the lower subscription almost a year ago, and wants to upgrade, but it's not worth upgrading if they have to pay the full year fee.

E.g.
2 yearly subscriptions:
Subscription 1 = $50
Subscription 2 = $100
User subscribed to 1 6 months ago. So instead of paying $50 to upgrade now, could he pay $25 (%50 of upgrade price for %50 of year)

Thanks!

• aecnu

Greetings Marcus,

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

There is no way to pro rate subscriptions due to limitations imposed by most gateways including PayPal.

With PayPal one would have to delete one subscription to start another.

One way to get around this would be for the next level to start an additional level and in turn subscription which would be relative to the date they upgraded.

One way for both the vendor (you) and the customer to save the most amount of money, is to have the smallest amount of subscription time that is practical. (i.e. monthly instead of yearly, or weekly instead of monthly but not as practical)

If this thread is not resolved because the suggested action did not work or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

• aecnu

Greetings Marcus,

After a careful recent study of the Membership plugin from all information gathered it is my opinion that the PayPal Single Payments Gateway is the best choice to use for processing Free memberships as well as Paid memberships.

However, there is no way I can find to pro rate upgrades automatically. Therefore, the other thing i can come up with for pro rating at this point is to after they have paid for the upgrade to refund the difference to them within there PayPal transaction.

This obviously useful customization to the plugin gets a +1 from me and this ticket shall be moved to Feature Requests.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.