Help! Changing one buddypress admin setting has killed my site.

Hi

I've just been happily at work setting things up on my site when I wanted to see what happened if in the buddypress menu options I disabled the setting for allowing users to create and join groups (I want them to be able to participate in but not create groups).

I hit the radio button to select disable, clicked save settings and I got a white screen. Can't load up the main site, can't load up the admin pages. There's no ctrl-Z for something like this and the back-button is no help. All I get is a browser error:

HTTP Error 500 (Internal Server Error): An unexpected condition was encountered while the server was attempting to fulfil the request.

I'm locked out -- have I lost everything?

Needless to say, this is a bit urgent...

Thanks!

• terraling
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi again

looking at my logs it appears as if your bp group calendar plug-in didn't like me changing the buddypress groups setting:

[28-Mar-2011 21:13:37] PHP Fatal error: Class 'BP_Group_Extension' not found in /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/wp-content/plugins/bp-group-calendar/groupcalendar/bp-group-calendar.php on line 128

Anyway I can fix this from the outside?

Thanks!

• rossagrant
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Very easy to fix this, don't panic.

Get access to your FTP and access your server.

Go into wp-content/plugins

rename your plugins folder by putting a _ infront of it so it's called _plugins

This will disable ALL plugins on your site.

Reload your dashboard, which should now load fine and then reactivate your plugins one by one to find the culprit.

If it is indeed the calendar you will know as when you reactivate that plugin it will break again so repaet if necessary.

In order to stop people from creating groups but still have them access and use them, simply download the 'Restrict Group Creation' plugin here:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/buddypress-restrict-group-creation/

In the backend change all the values in the 4 boxes to:

manage_options

simply paste that into the boxes. Now only admin can create groups but EVERYONE else can use them.

Let me know how you get on! :slight_smile:

• rossagrant

Oh by the way, once you have gained access to the dashboard make sure you rename your plugins folder back to just plugins otherwise it won't see you as having any installed.

So rename it with the _ first. Get access back then change it back to normal.

:slight_smile:

• terraling
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Ross - or anyone else -

the plug-in to restrict users from creating groups doesn't work in WP3.1 and is no longer being developed. Do you know of an alternative?

Otherwise I will have to simply hide the 'create group' button with CSS, but that's less than ideal...

Thanks.

• rossagrant

Hey guys!

@terraling - The restrict group creation plugin works with WP 3.1 mate. It's NOT going to be updated for the next version of BuddyPress though which is 1.3 so for now you can use it no problem.

Hopefully someone will take it on. maybe WPMU?

It's an absolutely necessary part of any site but I also have a feeling we may even get it as part of the core options in BP 1.3 itself so here's hoping.

Thanks so much for the rep points too guys, it's massively appreciated.

In these harsh financial times I'd love to get a free membership here eventually! :slight_smile:

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

I'll take a look at the plugin - definitely no promises though. We have SO many plugins to keep track of already, it's quite a challenge!

@rossagrant Keep up the friendly help round here and you'll be there in no time :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.