HELP: Complex Member structure

Greetings,

I am working on creating a paid Buddypress site using the Membership plugin. However, my implementation is pretty complex and I’m still fairly new to WordPress development.

Here is what I need to do:

A user has an option to sign up as a business or an individual for X amount of dollars. If the user signs up as an individual the functionality is pretty basic.

If a user signs up as a business an account is created. When that user signs in he has access to a special business page. On that page is an option to add users. For each user that is created it becomes a child user of this business account and the business account’s monthly subscription goes up X amount of dollars. All these users, whether individual, business, or a sub of a business will act as a basic Buddypress member.

How tough would this be to implement? I’m a decent developer, but lack experience with WordPress. I’m on a short time frame, so I can’t spend a lot of time digging through the source.

I hope I explained what I need well enough. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya dwhite,

All of that would be doable, but they way I’d go about it would be largely dependent on what the ‘special business page’ is. Is it a BuddyPress group? A WordPress site (on multisite)?

This would dictate how the other users are ‘added’ to that particular business-specific area.

A bit more detail and we can point ya in the right direction.

Thanks!

• dwhite
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I hadn’t thought about that correlation. It definitely would not be a separate site through Multisite. I’m not planning on enabling Multisite.

A private group would work good. Any user that belonged to it must be an employee of that ‘Business’ group. Then the business group owner’s monthly subscription would depend on the number of user he has created/added to the group.

Would it make less sense to have it be neither, and just have it be another tab on a user’s personal profile management area?

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya dwhite,

Would it make less sense to have it be neither, and just have it be another tab on a user’s personal profile management area?

It just depends on what you want to have happen on the business page. A private group works well as it already has the ability to ‘invite’ members – and members of the group will see a history of all the actions taking place in the activity stream.

It really depends though. What will members of this area want to do when they sign in? What abilities do they need? Since you’re using BuddyPress, I’m thinking the extra interaction with the activity stream and messaging would be a plus.

• dwhite
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I think you’re right about having the group activity. This is going to be a niche site, so it will be mainly used for collaboration, both with the entire network and one’s group connections.

The real kicker is that the business admin will be able to create sub accounts for employees and be charged monthly for each additional.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

The real kicker is that the business admin will be able to create sub accounts for employees and be charged monthly for each additional.

Not easily, no – from an initial think anyway.

For the charges, you’d need to use a gateway that allows you to modify the amount charged without the user having to agree to the changes – so likely not paypal express. You’d also have to either create a subscription per number of users, or custom subscriptions for each business so that you can modify the pricing programatically – or move the business from one subscription to another based on users.

The sub-accounts bit, I honestly don’t know how I’d implement that – may take some more thinking.

• dwhite
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Not to throw another wrench into the matter, but what about the possibilities using some other CRM system to manage the users. That system would need a hook that would work with a Buddypress API to create/edit users based on the action taken in the CRM. This may be over complicating it, but I’m just looking for the best solution to do this.

you’d need to use a gateway that allows you to modify the amount charged without the user having to agree to the changes

Sending a confirmation email for each user that is created wouldn’t be too bad, would it? Them acting on the email would then approve the increase in the subscription.

The sub-accounts bit, I honestly don’t know how I’d implement that – may take some more thinking.

Maybe ‘sub-accounts’ was the wrong term. They act as normal accounts except that they were create by another user and are permanently connected to him (ex. maybe in the DB user table there is a parent_acct_id field or something).

• dwhite
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Help anyone? I really need to get this figured out.

I think you can forget my last comment about using some other CRM. I want to keep it within Buddypress, and probably take advantage of a private group.

@Barry. Obviously, doing this means having having dynamic subscription rates. Is this possible with the membership plugin?

• dwhite
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello,

I’m not trying to be rude, but I’m getting a little frustrated. I’ve paid $400 for your support/services and haven’t seen much of it yet. I realize that my implementation is complicated. However, I am on a tight schedule and am really in need of assistance. Which was my reason for going ahead and paying for this site.

Did I make a mistake in posting my thread into the community forum? Should I have posted it in the members only area?

Thanks

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi, I did post that it would be complex – you are certainly looking at custom programming in there.

Dynamic subscription rates? No – you’d need to create a new subscription either per level and move members between them as I said in my last reply or create a subscription per member.

Sub-accounts – users creating new users is fine, would need a custom interface, and the storage and the information to keep them attached to the main one would require custom development as I don’t know of any other plugins around that would do it.

• dwhite
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thank you.

Rates – I’d hate to go through and manually make the subscription levels, because some business accounts may have up to a couple hundred employees. Is there a way I can create levels on the fly through the membership API, based on the number of sub-accounts?

How hard is it to move members between them?

Sub-accounts – This doesn’t sound like it’d be too complicated, but I’ve never developed a WP plugin. In fact I’m fairly new to WP, so I don’t have a clue on where to begin with any of this.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.