Help configuring Marketpress to send all transaction details to Paypal

After checking with Paypal, we have determined that the plugin is not sending all of the details of each transaction. Therefore, when receiving an email notification of the transaction via Paypal, it shows only the total purchase, but not the product, tax, shipping, or address.

We need all of the transaction details to show in the notification. This is standard with Paypal and is working with other accounts, so we need to see about configuring the plugin to proper;y communicate that information to Paypal.

Thx!

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

jruckman,

Hi and Welcome to WPMU forums!

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with Marketpress.

This is standard with Paypal and is working with other accounts, so we need to see about configuring the plugin to properly communicate that information to Paypal.

Do you mean you have this working elsewhere (meaning Marketpress on a wordpress site?)

This is not a standard problem so I'm wondering what could be causing this issue. Marketpress is configured to send all of the correct information out of the box.

Can you confirm if you have another setup already working? Also, do you have PayPal settings enabled? Is this a single or Multisite install? Are there any tax settings enabled? Have you enabled any shipping settings?

All very useful info :slight_smile:

Best,

Kimberly

• jruckman
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

HI Kimberly,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Here are the answers to your questions...

1. No, we only have this one site setup.
    2. Not sure if we have enabled Paypal setting, other than that being our payment gateway. It is working fine other than this notification issue.
    3. Single site install
    4. We have tax settings for North Carolina only
    5. We have shipping enabled based on total transaction cost.

Please let me know if there is anything else you need...thx!

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

jruckman,

Thanks for all the extra info! It helps alot!

4. We have tax settings for North Carolina only

Silly question, but was your purchaser's Address a NC Address?

I know that the purchaser has access to all of the details of the transaction via the track order status link via Marketpress.

I would also check to see if the user was getting all of the details within their actual paypal account within the transaction details, often times PayPal will send a total in their receipts but withhold the details.

Within Marketpress you can also set fields for the email receipt generated.

Example from one I just created

Thank you for your order CUSTOMERNAME!

Your order has been received, and any items to be shipped will be processed as soon as possible. Please refer to your Order ID (ORDERID) whenever contacting us.
    Here is a confirmation of your order details:

Order Information:
    ORDERINFO

Shipping Information:
    SHIPPINGINFO

Payment Information:
    PAYMENTINFO

ORDERNOTES

You can track the latest status of your order here: TRACKINGURL

I'll ping the developer to see if he has anything to add, just incase.

Best,

Kimberly

• jruckman
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I apologize, but I think you guys are trying to solve the wrong problem. My mistake.

Our issue is not the notification sent to the buyer/purchaser. The notification I am referring to is the email generated by Paypal, to the account holder notifying them of a new purchase. Since installing this cart, that email is only showing the total amount of the order. It is not showing the customer, shipping or tax information.

The account holder has purchases coming from other carts, and they are functioning properly.

There are no coupons or other incidentals.

Please let me know if that helps and if you have any solution. We need to get this fixed as soon as possible,

Thanks!

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

As per Aaron:

All cart data is sent to PayPal

As per You:

The notification I am referring to is the email generated by Paypal,

I'm struggling to find the thread that binds these as I know I can receive emails from Marketpress with the specified fields you mentioed

Anything generated from PayPal to the Purchaser post transaction for confirmation of payment is not editable by you, all purchasers have the ability to login and see the details of each transaction within their paypal

• Dean Kaus
    • The Bug Hunter

I also have a similar problem in that when I went into My PayPal account and saw and looked at my orders I don't see ANY detail of the order. Just the purchasers name email and shipping information. The payment type simply reads Payment From. The only sort of detail of the transaction I get is

Order Description: Kaus video Store Purchase - Order ID: 0a8210abf54d
    Invoice ID: 0a8210abf54d
    Date: Mar 17, 2012
    Time: 17:21:32 PDT

That's it!

• Aaron
    • CTO

Dean, as said before that's normal behavior when you have a coupon due to PayPal API limitations.

J, as developers we have absolutely no control over what details PayPal sends in their email. I've never seen more than a total in emails myself. Perhaps your client is using a different API like the simple add to cart buttons that PayPal treats differently. Mp uses the advance express checkout API.

• Dean Kaus
    • The Bug Hunter

I don't have any coupons available or even entered into marketpress. Whenever I make a purchase via paypal from other venders I get the vender name and some sort of details of what I ordered.

Not sure why my Marketpress information isn't getting passed to Pay Pal.

• jruckman
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

We are still having trouble with this topic. Transaction notifications are still not listing transaction details, only a total cost ( no products, tax, shipping info ).

We have spoken with Paypal...they mentioned that they only have one API, and that there is no such thing as the "Advanced Paypal Express Checkout".

The issue is not during the transaction, but rather when the account holder gets a notification of a purchase. That notification does not include the transaction details.

Paypal has confirmed that this can only be caused by the cart not sending that information.

Thanks for continuing to work to resolve this for us.

• Aaron
    • CTO

Don't believe PayPal support, they don't know anything. Even their documentation is often wrong. Hate em.

Standard buttons (probably why they expect the details):
    https://merchant.paypal.com/cgi-bin/marketingweb?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=merchant/wp_standard

Express Checkout (MarketPress):
    https://merchant.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=merchant/express_checkout

http://tutorials.zen-cart.com/index.php?article=28

You just need to tell you client that PayPal doesn't add the details to your order. They should be using the MarketPress generated email, that's what it's for.

• jruckman
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Not terribly helpful...and a little chirpy.

Our client has three other websites all sending transactions to the same Paypal account. They are all setup with the same API and ALL of them generate a client notification email with ALL of the transaction details.

We are working to convince her to use the MP email, is there any way to have that email sent to more than one address? They have several people in their pipeline of fulfillment. The Paypal generated email was being sent to several people with all details. We may be able to have them begin using the MP email if we can send it to more than one person.

Thx.

• jruckman
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

We still need some help with this shopping cart...our client is still experiencing a problem with her Paypal notifications.

We have run several test transactions with them, and they stated that the cart appears to working perfectly up until the final step. Please see their detailed explanation below.

Express Checkout typically consists of 3 API calls:

SetExpressCheckout <- starts the process and details are displayed on the PayPal checkout page
    GetExpressCheckoutDetails <- returns the buyers information and details in the Set call
    DoExpressCheckoutPayment <- finalizes the order, details passed in this call are what populate the transaction and receipt

I tested the first steps of the cart and it's passing line items in the Set call. From your description of the issue it is not passing them again in the DoECPay call. Your developer/cart will need to modify the cart to pass the line items. Typically by tracking an internal order number or the token for the EC transaction.

We badly need to see about getting this problem corrected. We would greatly appreciate any support you can provide. Thanks!

• Dean Kaus
    • The Bug Hunter

I have to agree that something really needs to be done soon. I have a couple of business software programs that run my studio scheduling and invoices. When client decides to pay with paypal they get a detailed list of what was purchased. I had asked the developer of that software what was done to make it work with paypal. Of course they won't give me a clear cut answer as their software is heavily encrypted, however he did say that if (not sure if this is needed in this case) the program is written without the proper SDK then it won't completely pass the information.

He also offered up that idea that PayPal required the information to be passed more than once, supposedly to prevent fraudulent charges.

Now here is where I see a big problem in the future. My client goes online and makes a purchase from my store. He receives a detailed email receipt describing in detail everything that he purchased. Now later in the year he's figuring out his tax's (this just happened to me so this is why i'm using this example) and while looking at all of his PayPal transactions, he forgets my companies name. So now the only way to find out is to call PayPal and see if they can give him anymore information. Now the only information that they have is actually the same as my clients, which is my email address for my PayPal account.
    So now I get a nasty email from this client claiming that he never purchased anything from me and now I then in turn have to go back and find his original order and send him another copy.

This is alot of work and headache on all parties involved.

There really should be a way to pass all of the information to paypal so it will show up in detail on their end.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings jruckman and Dean Kaus,

Just checking in with you folks to see if you have updated your Market Press install that came out a couple days ago (version 2.5.7) and tested its operation to see if it has indeed resolved your reported gateway issues?

The updates change logs indicate several gateway changes/fixes including work on PayPal gateways as well.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• Dean Kaus
    • The Bug Hunter

Hi @aecnu I'll have to test it out later when I can switch back to sandbox mode. Right now I'm hoping some clients will be ordering this evening. So far it looks like the information is passed on to at least the checkout page but I think this was working to that point before.

I really need to set up a totally practice or testing site.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Dean,

Yes you are absolutely correct that the information was being passed on before as indicated by previous posts in this thread.

Look forward to hearing the results of your test though in my opinion sandbox mode is not the real deal and many times causes problems on its own.

However, I greatly appreciate and look forward to your results in any event :slight_smile:

Cheers, Joe

• Dean Kaus
    • The Bug Hunter

@aecnu if you want you can go to http://www.kausvideo.com and purchase something, I won't mind! LOL
    I'll let you know tomorrow or may just ad something for $1 or something just to test it out.

I thought that the reason for the sandbox was so that you would be able to see exactly how paypal responds to developers code and testing out shopping carts for accuracy?

From what I understand is that if it doesn't work in Sandbox mode then there is a problem somewhere.

Thanks for getting back to me.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Dean,

You are absolutely right that it is supposed to work but does not always with PayPal though they have gotten a whole lot better then they were in 1998 - then they did not even publicly offer there phone number ..... lol

I have been with them since 1998 and in 2001 I submitted a ticket to include every year after that the reputation scoring does not work and they have always said they will look into it and my score has been the same since 2001, but I have had literally thousands of verified buyers, but their score said 75 the last time I checked.

Though I admit that I have not checked it out this year, but I will now and the results:
    Your Buyer Reputation: 75 Your Seller Reputation: 75

Total absolute BS as usual and note the numbers are identical but PayPal says they go up to 1000 plus.

Oh well.

Looking forward to your results.

Cheers, Joe

• JDJ
    • Flash Drive

@aecnu and dave:
    Hi,

I found your thread while comparing chained payments with express. I am running into the very same problems.

First of all, I'd like to say that 2.5.7 might not resolve your issue with express payments because the file is still the same as 2.5.5 There were no changes made in paypal-express.php from 2.5.5 to 2.5.7

2.5.7 basically addressed the chained payment gateway issue which is not returning shipping and tax details WITHIN marketpress.

@jruckman:

It should be possible to receive a full detailed report from Paypal with express checkout. I have an etsy account and all my transactions include a full product description, shipping price and taxes. Etsy uses express checkout.

@aaron:

1.) I think this is what jruckman is referring to.

2.) About the coupon code issue: Maybe it could be solved by treating it as an item.
    Please see screenshot.

Hope this can help.

• jruckman
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thank you @jdj you are right on.

"Shopping Cart Contents" do not show up and "Print Packing Slip" isn't available under Shipping Information. The Print Packing Slip usually contains the shopping cart detail where my client can simply print that, print the shipping label and fulfill the order right from PayPal.

Also, I note the that ITEM TOTAL that shows in PayPal is the CART TOTAL (item + shipping) and the Shipping shows a $ 0.00 USD.

My client manages the fulfillment of a couple website with PayPal and have operated with no issues for many years - hence their frustration with me, mine with the Marketpress cart.

Please advice.

• Dean Kaus
    • The Bug Hunter

Hello @jruckman
    I agree that the way Marketpress currently handles this needs to be improved. I personally believe that this information needs to be handled within the Marketpress plugin itself once the sale has been completed.

In the manage orders section there should be a way to print Packing Slips, Shipping Labels, and Detailed receipts.

I wouldn't rely on the payment gateways for this information as it's much better that once you receive confirmation that the order has been paid via Marketpress Manage Orders area then you have one place to manage everything.

My only other concern here would be for charge backs. I usually wait 3 days before I actually ship anything in the event a client changes their mind. The majority of my products are custom portraits or videos so I don't even start the printing or editing process until I've been paid.

As far as the PayPal cart total there was another thread on that (I can't find it at the moment) but my last couple of sales had shown the details properly so I assumed that that portion was fixed.
    Possible @Aaron pr @GinaB can confirm this. I think that he's finishing up another project but hopefully he'll have a moment to confirm this.

• jruckman
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thanks @deankaus

Agree with a couple of your points.

My client has been fulfilling orders via PayPal of over 5 years - and are dependent on volunteers. So, they keep it simple.

As @jdj points out, the update does not fix this.

I looked briefly at the paypal-express.php file and don't see anything that would indicate that it passes the "content" on to PayPal. It actually appears to concatenate the item total and shipping total, may explain why it shows up in PayPal as one lump sum.

Again, I need the shopping cart content to be passed onto PayPal so it can be seen in the clients PayPal account. It will then show up via the "Print Packing Slip" link - and email confirmation they receive from PayPal with Shopping Cart Contents.

Shouldn't be a major fix as Cart66 (even the free "lite" version) and WooCommerce (also free), many others pass this cart content to PayPal. Same for Joomla!/VirtueMart (which is more complex, but free).

Thank you for your help.

• JDJ
    • Flash Drive

Just like Aaron said, the data is passed correctly through Paypal (the first time) but after Paypal resends the buyer to the site to confirm the transaction, the data does not seem to be passed again the second time.
    I took a deeper look at express-checkout.php and found that DoExpressCheckoutPayment function might need to pass some more data as it seems to pass the total amount only:
    line 1056:
    $nvpstr .= "&PAYMENTREQUEST_{$i}_AMT=" . $final_amts[$i];

I found an interesting doc here that could help, but I do not know how to integrate it above:

http://www.paypalobjects.com/en_US/ebook/PP_NVPAPI_DeveloperGuide/expresscheckout.html#2502955

Hope this can help in some way!
    -----------------------------------
    Including Subtotals Using DoExpressCheckoutPayment
    If you want the PayPal user to see subtotals of item cost, shipping charges, handling charges, and sales tax, include the following parameters in DoExpressCheckoutPayment:
    l ITEMAMT
    l SHIPPINGAMT
    l HANDLINGAMT
    l TAXAMT

If you specify values for any of these subtotal amounts, the total of the values must equal the AMT field specified in the request. For example, in the example below, the sum of ITEMAMT, SHIPPINGAMT, HANDLINGAMT, and TAXAMT equals the value for AMT.
    If one or more of the subtotals is zero, you can either include the field in the request with a value of zero, pass an empty string, or leave the field out of the request altogether. However, the sum of the remaining subtotal fields, if any are specified, must add up to AMT.

Example Including Subtotals:

Request [requiredSecurityParameters]&METHOD=DoExpressCheckoutPayment
    TOKEN=EC-0EU150885J108392M&PAYERID=95HR9CM6D56Q2&PAYMENTACTION=Sale&
    AMT=192.22&ITEMAMT=176.02&SHIPPINGAMT=14.34&HANDLINGAMT=1.10&TAXAMT=0.76

• jruckman
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

@jdj Thank you again.

@Aaron - Can you give me an ETA on an update, my client is wanting me to install an entirely new cart. If you can provide the updated files for this issue that would be awesome (before a complete version/release).

Let me know soon. Thank you.

• Dean Kaus
    • The Bug Hunter

Hello @Aaron and everyone else in the thread. From what I've just been told from 2 other
    Companies who's carts works fine with PayPal is that they had to get an updated SDK kit from PayPal
    And had to make some minor revisions to their code. One of these systems offers coupon codes
    as well with no problems. When I received my email after my purchase it had all details listed.
    when I check into my PayPal account all.details are listed. Still not so with marketpress.
    Hopefully this SDK kit will make sense to @Aaron and will help solve the problem.

• Aaron
    • CTO

Ok, I think i've got the coupon thing and order details fixed up. It was super complicated because of the global checkout support in that gateway. It could use some testing in a global cart context with multiple store items in one checkout.

Let me know if it works for you!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.