Help Customizing Blue Zinfandel Enchanced Theme

Howdy!
I was getting some help from somebody else from WPMU, and he was great! But I guess I reached my question quota because it no longer allows me to post a reply — and (surprise!) I still have questions.

This is the website I created the child theme for, using blue zinfandel enhanced: http://www.unitedcreditunion.org/

After all the help Patrick Cohen gave me, I still have these issues:

1. I need shortcode widgets to work in the sidebars. Patrick said to add code to the child's functions.php file -- add_filter('widget_text', 'do_shortcode');

I don't have a functions.php file in the child theme. Copying it from the parent gives an error. Research says I should start from a "blank" functions.php file. But what is that?

2. I need to add graphics and text to the footer, but I don't know enough about php to understand how to add that. If there is a good tutorial, let me know.

Thanks in advance for your help!

• Vaughan

hiya

we do not have quotos on threads, so i don't know why you can't respond in that thread. have you tried logging out and in again?

but to answer your questions.

just creat a new functions.php file on your desktop, then edit it.

inside place your code

<?php

add_filter('widget_text', 'do_shortcode');

?>

then upload it to your child-theme folder.

you will need to copy the footer.php file from the parent theme folder to your child theme, then edit that to add your new html.

hope this helps.

• joujouwood

Thanks, Vaughan. Signing out and back in did the trick. It's just that when I received the email notification of an answer and clicked on it, it always allowed me to respond and then suddenly it didn't. I didn't think about logging out.

Thanks for the functions.php help. That worked. I was confused about what needed to go around the add_filter code.

I'm not sure what you mean by editing the footer.php to add the new html. php is Greek to me. Do you mean that within the php tag of the footer that I can add html? (showing my newby-ness ...)

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.