Help! Domain mapping not working after moving a client…

I use domain mapping on the multi-site. It’s been working great but today we had to make some changes on the server and now I can’t get it to work.

History: These domains were in CPanel as “add on” domains – but they had their own zone files so I simply pointed the A record and all worked well.

Now, they have new zone files – I went in and pointed the A record but the sites don’t come up any more.

Any ideas?

• Todd Heitner
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Did the IP address of the main site change by chance?

Do the sites work OK if you access them directly through the subdomain URL (sitename.mainsite.com)?

What exactly do you see when you try accessing the sites? Is it an error, a blank page, etc.?

Thanks,

Todd

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings bettereverything,

Sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your move and domain mapping.

Todd has a great question, does this involve a new IP address?

If so it is probably only a matter of propagation time.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• coburnenterprises
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi thanks for the quick response – I am sorry I got sucked into the black hole of email issues at the same time I’m trying to deal with this. It does not involve a new IP address for the main site – in fact the main site wasn’t touched – only the domain for the sub site has a new ip address (on the same server though). Basically these sites were “sub sites” on the server under another domain so their actual path would have been root/home/originaluser/public_html/subdomain.com.

Since I don’t think domain mapping touches the public_html file for the domain I am not sure why this would be affected – if I point the A record to the same IP it was pointing to before we moved their directory I don’t know why it would not be working the same as before… We finally figured out that the tech that did the migration forgot to copy several files from the old location to the new – so I’m guessing this is related – but I am not sure what files might still need to be copied over – we finally got their email working :slight_smile:

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings bettereverything,

Not a problem and the most important thing of course is in fact that it is indeed working – happy days!

Thank you also for pointing out about flushing your owns computers dns cache, this is indeed a critical thing many people miss and hopefully they will see this post and gain the knowledge to indeed flush their cache.

For Windows users this is done by bringing up the command prompt and entering the command ipconfig /flushdns press enter and the job should be done. One should have all browsers closed to insure that they are indeed not retaining the IP address.

Have a GREAT upcoming weekend!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.