HELP! E-Newsletter Plugin Not Working

I can get the plugin in to work.
There's a bunch of "mumbo jumbo" underneath the preview area and none of the themes accept any text that I enter in the content area, plus the text editor will not embed any images.
I need to get this resolved ASAP as I need to put out a mass email tonight.
Thanks
Mark

• marktkinder
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Here's a screen shot. You'll see that I added the word hello into the content area, but it doesn't show up in the preview. Same thing happens when I try to add an image.

You'll also see there some weird text underneath the preview.

Any thoughts

• marktkinder

Can you please cancel my subscription to e-Newsletter. I can't find a way to do this on you site. I thought this was a one time purchases not a rental.
    Disappointed with this version, going back to the old one, and double disappointed that I was automatically registered to pay a $19 per month fee. I'd like a refund.
    Thank you

• KenBosh

I had this same problem.

Did you customize the OLD TEMPLATE?

If so, you're going to need to put that folder back.
    (I just copied the Simplicity Light theme and renamed it to the Template Folder I had used in version one of this plugin)

Hope that helps.

KenBosh

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello @marktkinder

Thanks for posting on the forums today. Sorry for the delay in response on this one, looks like it got off @Vaughan feed.

Yes I customized the old template, but I deactivated and deleted the old plugin before installing the new.

As you customized the old template, the settings are stored in the database too, so how did you remove the plugin ?

Did you remove it via the uninstall option in the plugin settings ? OR just removed it via the delete plugin option ?

We need to find out what might have gone wrong so for that we will need to disable enable other plugins and switch themes etc, Can you take a backup of your live site and help us test things out so that we can fix it asap ?

Please advise.

Cheers, PC

• marktkinder

To answer your question as to how I removed it: I went to Plugins / installed plugins / deactivated the plugin / deleted the plugin

Here's what I've tried so far:

1. Purchased and tried to install the plugin. It would not upload because the earlier version of the plugin was still activated.

2. Deactivated and deleted the old plugin, then installed new version. The install seemed to go smoothly, but I could not add images to the content area, I then tried adding text; the text appeared in the content text editor, but did not show up in the preview area.

3. Deactivated the plugin and tried again - Same thing.

4. Got very frustrated and then restored my site to the previous version, but the previous vrsion didn't work either. When I tried to use the earlier version everything seemed fine, but the plugin would not save the password to my email server. Instead it kept automatically changing the password to some long winded combination of numbers and special characters.

5. Tried step one again, this time I deactivated all other plugins, deactivated my theme, and installed the 2012 theme instead. I did this first and then installed the plugin. Still could not use the content area.

If you could answer this for me I'd appreciate this: All my contacts are stored in this database. How can I get a copy of them? Can I download a CSV file from Wordpress? I'd like to be able to do this, just incase.

This list and mailing program is vital to the success of my business. I need to get it up and running ASAP.

Your thoughts
    Mark

• marktkinder

Here's a screen shot of the "Create Newsletter" area.
    You'll notice that there's text in the content area, but it is not showing in the preview area. In addition, I cannot add images. You will also notice that underneath the preview area that there's some text, that just doesn't look right. I discovered that that text was from a "snippets plugin" that I was using. I removed it, but it still didn't work????

• marktkinder

Also. I cannot configure the email SMPT settings etc.
    It would not accept the settings that were already in place, so I contacted Blue Host to make sure I had the settings correct. They said yes. I get this error when I test the connection in the bounce settings:

<b>Warning</b>: imap_open() [function.imap-open]: Couldn't open stream {box704.bluehost.com:110/pop3/notls/novalidate-cert/norsh}INBOX in <b>/home1/kundali3/public_html/detoxyoga/wp-content/plugins/e-newsletter/e-newsletter.php</b> on line <b>1658</b>
    Can't open mailbox {box704.bluehost.com:110/pop3/notls/novalidate-cert/norsh}INBOX: invalid remote specification

• marktkinder

OK. Played around with this for several hours. The content area wasn't working because I had the Rich text editor disabled. I prefer to write clean code in my content areas rather than Wordpress's crappy rich text editor (sad but true). So that is fixed.

Both the outgoing smpt settings and the bounce settings are correct, they actually work, despite the error I get above.
    Any thoughts on that??

Thanks
    Mark

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey Mark,

Thanks for posting back and letting me know that the content issue is fixed. Sometimes the editors cause issues with other areas. Thanks for sharing the solution.

For the error code

<b>Warning</b>: imap_open() [function.imap-open]: Couldn't open stream {box704.bluehost.com:110/pop3/notls/novalidate-cert/norsh}INBOX in <b>/home1/kundali3/public_html/detoxyoga/wp-content/plugins/e-newsletter/e-newsletter.php</b> on line <b>1658</b>
    Can't open mailbox {box704.bluehost.com:110/pop3/notls/novalidate-cert/norsh}INBOX: invalid remote specification

This issue was addressed in the latest release, can you please double check which version you are running so that if required I can take this up to the developer ?

Please advise.

Cheers, PC

• marktkinder

As per your instructions, I upgraded to the latest version of this plugin.
    The plugin works, but I still get this error when I test the bounce settings?????

<b>Warning</b>: imap_open() [function.imap-open]: Couldn't open stream {box704.bluehost.com:110/pop3/notls/novalidate-cert/ssl}INBOX in <b>/home1/kundali3/public_html/detoxyoga/wp-content/plugins/e-newsletter/e-newsletter.php</b> on line <b>1685</b>
    TLS/SSL failure for box704.bluehost.com: SSL negotiation failed

Any thoughts
    Mark

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

@Maniu : I also tested this on my lab site. The bounce settings work fine but the error is displayed. I think that is coming when the plugin is trying to read that bounce email in the email account and is not able to do that.

I hope that helps.

Cheers, PC

• Maniu
    • Developer

Hello @marktkinder

I am currently working on update to eNewsletter that will minimize the risk of problems that you had with our plugin. Thanks for pointing those out!

I think i was able to fix all the problems beside bounce error - i am simply not able to reproduce this with my server.

Is your POP3 server using security like SSL?

Thanks,
    Maniu

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.