Help Formatting Default Course List

Hi Gurus,

How do I adjust the default course list formatting? See attached image.
A) Course Meta details looks terrible. Has dangling parenthesis around tax price. I want to adjust every single icon/piece of data in the meta description.
B) The excerpt length is pointless and looks terrible. How do I adjust the length of the excerpt? How do I format the excerpt?
C) Format the default buttons please.
D) The course title is formatted terribly for the second course. It looks like it just needs a hard carriage return. But it doesn't look like the first title.

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello emilio_gagliardi,

A) Course Meta details looks terrible. Has dangling parenthesis around tax price. I want to adjust every single icon/piece of data in the meta description.

Those parenthesis are part of the string about tax, so you would need to remove them using Ultimate Branding plugin with Network Wide Text Change module.

Each meta element is kept in div with .quick-course-info class:
    - time is div with class .course-time
    - language has class .course-language
    - price: .course-cost
    - button details is button with classes .apply-button.apply-button-details

so to style those, you would need to use selectors:

.quick-course-info .course-time {
    // your CSS rules to format time
    }

.quick-course-info .apply-button.apply-button-details {
    //style for button
    }

I didn't insert any example CSS rules, because you haven't write what type of changes you want to implement.

B) The excerpt length is pointless and looks terrible. How do I adjust the length of the excerpt? How do I format the excerpt?

Please take look here on how to make excerpt longer https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/course-excerpt-short-overview-is-not-displayed-fully#post-801749

To format excerpt you would need to use selector and styles like that

.course .course-summary {
    font-size: 14px !important;
    }

there are some inline styles, so I'm using !important so you will be able to override them.

D) The course title is formatted terribly for the second course. It looks like it just needs a hard carriage return. But it doesn't look like the first title.

Please try this CSS:

.et_pb_post.course {clear:both;}

You can
    a) add it to the child theme style.css file
    b) use this small plugin https://wordpress.org/plugins/simple-custom-css/

kind regards,
    Kasia

• emilio_gagliardi

Thank you kindly for all your answers!

I have one further question.
    In the article you shared, the suggestion was to create a child theme for coursepress and make the change to the php there. However, I'm already using a child theme. Can I simply create a copy of /wp-content/plugins/coursepress/themes/coursepress/content-course.php and place it inside the child theme or do I need to match the directory structure of the original file?

A) Child Theme/content-course.php
    B) Child Theme/plugins/coursepress/themes/coursepress/content-course.php

I'm asking, because I already did option A) and it didn't work...

• Nithin

Hi emilio_gagliardi,

Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

I'm asking, because I already did option A) and it didn't work...

Option A would be the correct format, and that's how it works. You'll have to add the files according to the parent theme structure, files are overridden according to the default WordPress template hierarchy.

I checked your website, it seems like your parent theme is Divi? content-course.php are files specific to the CoursePress theme, not related to Divi, and hence it didn't work.

For content-courses.php to work, you'll also have to copy archive-course.php from CoursePress theme into you child theme, so that it works. Please do note that, you'll have to change the template structure of the files you copy according to the template structure of Divi, otherwise the page won't render the proper design of Divi.

I forgot to ask, can you be more specific about removing the parenthesis from the "tax incl.)"

I just want to remove everything but the price value. I'm not charging tax, ever, so the price will always be the price.

Ultimate Brandings Network Wide Text Change module is used to rename strings. If I'm not mistaken, you meant you want to remove tax price, and you won't be using tax in MarketPress plugin? If yes, you can disable that text under Store Settings > General > Tax Settings by unchecking Display tax label? option.

If you also want to remove the strikeout price too, please try the following CSS:

.post-type-archive-course .quick-course-info .course-cost .mp_product_price-sale + .mp_product_price-normal {
    	display :none;
    }

I hope this helps. Please advise if I had missed out anything, so that we could help get this resolved asap. Have a nice weekend. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.