Help Getting started

Hi

I am now totally lost with my mu install I can not get any of my websites working properly, the mu site i wanted to create based on edublogs site has had to be sidelined and an external host created as a back up.

All my other sites created pre MU are now down as I cant get either multi-domains or domain-mapping plugins working properly.

I have asked psek for help as i have had to now rebuild 3 websites now - 1 in particular is 700 pages + and over 3 years of work its took me 3 days !

surely I am doing something wrong but i cant find the problem nor the solution

HELP !!

• shineadmin
    • New Recruit

Hi Arun

The hosting account is not working correctly I have

I have now had to purchase a new hosting account via fxdomains (godaddy ) for my sites and I will start again and begin to redirect my domains to a new mu install account with gatorhost!

Thanks and cheers for trying !

Alan

• shineadmin
    • New Recruit

Arun

if you could help I would appreciate my mu install is still not working properly my domains are setup as follows causeblogs.org/sitename/

It should be that sitename/causeblogs.org as it is in edublogs.org and wordpress.com

It's taking far too long to set all this up I thought paying just under $200 for you to do a install it would have been done correctly !

and multi-domains and domain-mapping plugin's don't work either !

My shineonscotland.org.uk (causelogs.org/shineonscotland/ ) website is a total mess 2000 pages created and now having to delete one by one and now having to be rebuilt.

I am going putting the whole network behind a maintenance theme now it a joke !

• Arun Basil Lal
    • New Recruit

Hey shineadmin,

I am still not with you man, forgive me.

Let me know what exactly are the problems you are going through. Make a list of them, dont mind how big there are, we got your back.

When you say "and multi-domains and domain-mapping plugin's don't work either" I dont have any idea where to start. Give me specific details like, I did this this and this, and yet its not working like this. I want this to work this way, how can you help?

Hope to help you better.

btw, if you are looking at hiring someone, you could post a project at our marketplace: https://premium.wpmudev.org/wpmu-jobs/

• shineadmin
    • New Recruit

Hi Arun

many thanks for your prompt reply and offer of assistance.

I will try and give you as much info as i can below !

1. My MU Install

account set up with psek when I create a new site it sets it up as follows causeblogs/SITENAME/ i.e causeblogs.org/shineonscotland/
    however I believe it should be as follows sitename.causeblogs.org this is further highlighted on your own edulogs.org website (screenshot) attached which I am trying to emulate for the charity and causes sector (niche).

2. Domain mapping plugin and multi-domains plugin not working !

I believe that both the domain-mapping and multi-domains plugins are not working due to the above issue please advise !

3. I need access to the files for edublogs so i can quickly create all the pages and change them to causeblogs.org could somebody send me a wordpress export file and i will then go in and remove any reference to Edublogs and change Causeblogs!

4. Major problems with my site shineonscotland website (causeblogs.org) had major issues with this after install of demo content on causeblogs site to test - when I installed demo content - it also created account on my shineonscotland website and in doing so it created 4000 + pages on my main website named listings, signup and signin and also published them all.

This has meant ive had to go in and bulk delete these pages and take my website downlive without this website we cant fundraise and we are now it has taken me over a week and even now I am still debugging it .

It would make a massive difference to me if you or somebody in your team could register on the network or give me an email address to set up as a user and help me resolve.

I want to get shineonscotland.org.uk website back live with all domain mapping and the bugs fixed for Monday morning at the very Latest and launch Causeblogs.org on the 2nd April.

• Arun Basil Lal
    • New Recruit

Hey shineadmin,

Okay, now we have something. let me see what I can do for you:

account set up with psek when I create a new site it sets it up as follows causeblogs/SITENAME/ i.e causeblogs.org/shineonscotland/
    however I believe it should be as follows sitename.causeblogs.org

You had an option to set this up when you installed Multisite, its harder to go back now. but not impossible.

If your network is new and have no or less number of blogs (this is the impression I get), I would say, go for a re-install, new databases, new everything. In the network setup (right after you enable multisite), you will be asked to choose between subfolder and sub domain.

If that is not the case, this thread could help you: http://wordpress.org/support/topic/changing-multi-site-from-sub-directory-to-sub-domain
    (yes, its all messed up, I would still recommend a re-install, but if that is impossible, let me know I can guide you step by step)

2. Domain mapping plugin and multi-domains plugin not working !

I believe that both the domain-mapping and multi-domains plugins are not working due to the above issue please advise !

While domain mapping doesnt explictly need a sub-domain install, its better to have. These plugins should be carefully configured.

3. I need access to the files for edublogs so i can quickly create all the pages and change them to causeblogs.org could somebody send me a wordpress export file and i will then go in and remove any reference to Edublogs and change Causeblogs!

Now, that is too much to ask for. Edublogs is a high profile project and that is not simply possible. Sorry.

Now, seeing your urgency and the level of stuff you are dealing with, I would highly recommend you hire someone who know what he is doing.

Our job boards can help: https://premium.wpmudev.org/wpmu-jobs/

Good luck!

• shineadmin
    • New Recruit

Hi Arun

I am ok if you want to do a reinstall but could you save my content I had to delete /shineonscotland/ it was full of bugs abd rebuild as /shineonscotlandcampaign/ its not major but would save me loads of time.

I will start saving my export files now !

Sadly I don't have any money to hire someone will just need to learn it as i go !

Will psek or yourself do the reinstall ?

Alan

• Arun Basil Lal
    • New Recruit

To reinstall,

Remove the current installation of WordPress via psek, do you have fantastico installer?

Then do a fresh install.

Here is how you can create a network. The instructions are very clear there. Also, remember to select the sub-domain model.

http://codex.wordpress.org/Create_A_Network

Learning on the way is not a bad idea. But that takes time. So you will have to balance out between time and money here.

Good luck!

• Arun Basil Lal
    • New Recruit

Hey Alan,

You badly need someone to do this for you man, why don't you try get someone who can help?

There are limitations on how far we can help, and we are not dealing with any of our plugins or themes here.

Is there anything I can do further? Am sorry things are messed up.

• shineadmin
    • New Recruit

Hi Arun

find it shocking since we paid $200 dollars for install that wasnt correctly set up and now weve lost our sites you say its not your fault you WP MU did the install and 3 times its been wrong !

3 weeks or sites have been down - and we have no funds left to pay anyone.
    Alan

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya Alan,

Mason here, I know we've communicated via email.

Any server-related or installation issues are handled by our partnership with pSek. Any issues with items such as plugins and themes are handled right here by us at WPMU DEV.

As far as I'm aware we've received no support requests other than this thread, where Arun is pitching in on the support front.

So that we are clear: WPMU DEV does not provide any sort of installation or service in that regards. All of that is handled by pSek. For support here, we'll gladly provide you with any assistance with just about any problem, but the best we can do is provide you with the steps (such as Arun has done) you'll have to actually do them yourself.

And, of course, if you run into any issue with our plugins or themes, we will gladly look into them and get them sorted for you straight away. Hope this helps clear things up!

Thanks again for being a member :slight_smile:

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey Al.

If there were any host related issues with psek, did you contact them for advice and help? If not and there is an issue with hosting then please do so.

Looking at your site you are getting a 310 error, to many redirect loops. I note its trying to send me to this page ID ?page_id=6772

Can we please confirm that first of all your htaccess is correct, more information right here:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Using_Permalinks#Creating_and_editing_.28.htaccess.29

If setting the permalinks doesn't fix it up for you, then just rename your plugins directory and reload your site. Does it load then?

If so then it was a plugin causing the issue.

Then activate each of those plugins one at a time until the issue crops up again. This will let us know where the redirect is coming from if it is a plugin.

Let us know how you go with that.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.