HELP - I changed server/IP and domain mapping is not working

I have multisite with domain mapping. I changed server and made the corresponding change in the domain map plugin settings. Then went and changed the A records to point to new IP and then back to a subsite and it is showing invalid. The network has propagated and the domain for the domain mapped site shows propagated but I am just getting "invalid" on the settings page.

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello @antKat,

I hope you're well today!

Please go to your "Network Admin" > "Settings" > "Domain Mapping" page and disable the "Verify domain's DNS settings" option. If it doesn't help, please try to wait a bit longer (up to 48 hours since the moment you've updated an "A" record for the domain) and then try to re-validate the domain (by clicking on the "Invalid" label), check if everything works.

If there'll still be no result, please let me know.

Cheers,
    Adam

• antKat
    • HummingBird

30 hours after propagation of changed "A" records showed all green, the domain-mapped sites were still not resolving.
    My new hosting provider suggested that I create alias domains for all of the domain mapped sites - which works. Please advise. I never needed to create aliases before with the plugin. Does this indicate that the plugin is not working now?

• antKat
    • HummingBird

Hi, I finally got someone at my hosting provider that understood the problem. Although I had a dedicated ip for the site, they had not migrated it as such. What a fiasco!

I am still having problems though. I realize some of the subsites have not changed their "A" records, but some that have are still having problems. Then there are some sites that subscribers cannot reach and there is an error: Error: Token mismatch How do I fix the "Token Mismatch"

When I go to each of the subsites domain mapping settings, it is showing "valid" when it is not always so. Can someone suggest what I need to do. Why isn't the domain mapping plugin showing "invalid" for those that are not correctly pointing to the new ip address. It is so hard for me to assess to what degree and for how many people that there is a problem. Why wouldn't the problems be universal . . . very confusing. Need help.

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey again.

Hi, I finally got someone at my hosting provider that understood the problem. Although I had a dedicated ip for the site, they had not migrated it as such. What a fiasco!

Ouch!

For the Token Mismatch, clear the browser cache first. Also, any server, plugin type cache as well. That should start a fresh with sessions.

It's also possible that the DNS for those domains are still updating, so in some locations they return correctly, but others don't have the update yet. It can take from a few minutes up to around 48 hours. 48 hours is what some companies advise, it's pretty instant usually though.

Which domains are still not working?

Take care.

• antKat
    • HummingBird

Hi Tim, Ouch is right. Just had one subscriber cancel.
    It would help if the domain mapping settings page with the status was accurate.
    For example, here is one that is showing valid but I know is not testing with the correct IP: http://essentialoiladdiction.com

On the "Mapped Domains" tab, I cannot get to page 2.

I have another site that IS NOT domain mapped and it is not able to connect: restoreyourjoy.usingessentialoils.com

Any help will be appreciated

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey again.

I believe the Domain Mapping plugin pings the domain to reach your install, if it gets your install, it returns true. When moving servers a number of factors could be at play including cache, the old install, etc. Not being involved in the move I can't say 100%.

When I ping http://essentialoiladdiction.com, I get the same IP as your main install. It seems to be directing in there.

What site should be here: restoreyourjoy.usingessentialoils.com it looks similar to your main site, this is what I see:

http://monosnap.com/image/QPNHKJPR3LQGDZRGVGDzhdTVQMuMRN

Any other domains still not resolving?

Take care

• antKat
    • HummingBird

Hi Timothy,
    All of the sites in the multisite are using the same theme via blog template.
    I currently have over 200 sites of which 32 are domain mapped.

When you went to: http://essentialoiladdiction.com were you able to access the site? I get the blank screen with "Incorrect or out of date login key". I have cleared my cache and rebooted my computer.

Is there some tool that I can use to be able to see what sites are not resolving?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.