Help! I cloned my main site and it's taking FOREVER. What to do?

I am in the process of redesigning my main site. I wanted to do the design without disrupting the site, so I cloned it to a sub site. But now it has taken over 24 hours to clone, and shows no signs of completion. How can I abort this process?

• Ash

Hello Kate

I believe there is an error so it's stuck. You can close the browser.

About the issue, would you please enable debug mode and check if there is any error? To enable debug mode please go to wp-config.php and change

define( 'WP_DEBUG', false );

to

define( 'WP_DEBUG', true );
    define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );
    define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );

And then, open the site on chrome. Right click on browser > Inspect > Console > refresh the page > clonse the site again and check if you see any error on the console.

That can also create a file called debug.log inside wp-content folder. Open that file, check the very bottom and you will see the latest errors. Please send me those.

Also, please enable support access so that we can check if needed: https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/getting-started/getting-support/#chapter-5

Have a nice day!

Cheers,
    Ash

• Kate

Actually, looks like the errors are all along the lines of this:

[23-Mar-2018 18:06:37 UTC] WordPress database error Table 'macdnet_wp403.wp_39_redirection_items' doesn't exist for query SELECT wp_39_redirection_items.*,wp_39_redirection_groups.position AS group_pos
    FROM wp_39_redirection_items INNER JOIN wp_39_redirection_groups ON
    wp_39_redirection_groups.id=wp_39_redirection_items.group_id AND wp_39_redirection_groups.status='enabled'
    AND wp_39_redirection_groups.module_id=1 WHERE (wp_39_redirection_items.regex=1
    OR wp_39_redirection_items.url='/wp-cron.php?doing_wp_cron=1521828396.1980350017547607421875') made by require_once('wp-load.php'), require_once('wp-config.php'), require_once('wp-settings.php'), do_action('init'), WP_Hook->do_action, WP_Hook->apply_filters, WordPress_Module->init, Red_Item::get_for_url
    [23-Mar-2018 18:06:37 UTC] WordPress database error Table 'macdnet_wp403.wp_39_redirection_items' doesn't exist for query SELECT wp_39_redirection_items.*,wp_39_redirection_groups.position AS group_pos
    FROM wp_39_redirection_items INNER JOIN wp_39_redirection_groups ON
    wp_39_redirection_groups.id=wp_39_redirection_items.group_id AND wp_39_redirection_groups.status='enabled'
    AND wp_39_redirection_groups.module_id=1 WHERE (wp_39_redirection_items.regex=1
    OR wp_39_redirection_items.url='/?wphb-check-cf=true') made by require('wp-blog-header.php'), require_once('wp-load.php'), require_once('wp-config.php'), require_once('wp-settings.php'), do_action('init'), WP_Hook->do_action, WP_Hook->apply_filters, WordPress_Module->init, Red_Item::get_for_url

• James Morris

Hello Kate

I'm terribly sorry for the delay in someone getting back to you.

Taking a look at your site through WP Admin -> Network Admin -> WPMU DEV Dashboard -> Support -> System Info, I'm seeing the following values for PHP

max_execution_time: 90
    memory_limit: 256M

These values are pretty low, especially for a fairly decent sized Multisite Network such as yours. The maximum values you can set for these will depend greatly on the limits set by your hosting provider. Would you please contact your hosting provider and ask them what the maximum value is you can set for the two config options above is?

My minimum recommendation for these would be:

max_execution_time: 180
    memory_limit: 512M

Though, if possible, the following would be ideal:

max_execution_time: 300
    memory_limit: 1024M

The reason Cloner is failing is there's not enough resources to run the plugin to completion. Cloning a site can take quite a while if the source site is fairly large and it takes a good bit of memory to process all the SQL routines. Once you update your PHP configuration, you should be able to run Cloner successfully.

Best regards,

James Morris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.