Help! I don't know what it's called...

I'm fairly new to this and I want my blog page to look a certain way but I'm not sure what it's technically called when it looks this way.

Essentially, when viewing articles on a blog page I want them to show the title, image and the initial sentence or two with a "read more" link to take you to the full article. What is this called and how do I do it?

I've linked to an example of roughly how I would like articles to be displayed. ie. Title, featured photo and excerpt of text.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4831919/blog%20page.png

Thank you!

• Joshua
    • Chief of Keepin' it Fresh Div.

This is a list view. In the example case it is listed by most recent post date. There are a bunch of themes out there that do this. This specific example is probably looking at the blog archives page. When looking for a theme check how its blog displays. How the image is pulled in is hinged on the theme itself. It may be pulled from an image in the post, a thumbnail of your choice or the featured image. It just depends on how the developer laid out the frame work. For example, Elegant themes uses this same lay out on almost everyone of its blog archive pages. Here is an example from one of their themes.

Hope this helps.

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi @liammorgan

Welcome to the forums!

Just to add to what @Joshua has indicated above, many themes are coded to display the full content on blog archive pages rather than just the excerpt.

This can be changed by editing the template; preferably in a child-theme so your edits aren't overwritten when you update the theme.

You would need to look in archive.php (or maybe index.php in your theme) and, in the loop that is used to display content in archives, change the_content to the_excerpt.

Hope this helps! And thanks for being a member :slight_smile:

• liammorgan
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Sorry for the delayed response chaps...
    THANK YOU for your help this has been REALLY helpful, not least because I literally now know what I'm talking about!

So I've poked around based on your advice but I notice in the WP 2011 and 2012 themes php archive and index files that there doesn't seem to be "the_content" listed anywhere.

So I can ask a clearer question now!
    In the 2011 and 2012 WP themes, how do I make the blog posts in archive, display as excerpts and not full posts? This is based on the fact that I can't find "the_content" under the archive or index php files. Also, I'm curious if this is something that could be done via css as an alternative?

Thanks again,
    Liam

• aristath
    • Recruit

@liammorgan

In the 2011 and 2012 WP themes, how do I make the blog posts in archive, display as excerpts and not full posts? This is based on the fact that I can't find "the_content" under the archive or index php files.

If you take a look at the archive.php file, you'll notice line 48:
    get_template_part( 'content', get_post_format() );
    That indicates that at that point, the content.php file is being called.

I would suggest that you do the following:
    1. Copy-paste the contents of the content.php file to a new file called content_archive.php
    2. Change line 48 of the archive.php file to
    get_template_part( 'content_archive' );
    3. Edit the contents of the content_archive.php file to suit your needs.

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Ari.

• andr__s_cajiao
    • Flash Drive

Hello,

Gosh how I hate complex solutions! :slight_frown:
    Anyways, there is an usefull tool for this in wordpress. It's kinda hand-made but very usefull... It is the <!---More---> tag (which it's actually an icon, not the code itself) you can check more about it here If you want a permanent solution I believe you can just go to settings-->Reading-->Show excerpts (instead of full post)

Hope it helps!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.