Help! I made the switch...now what?

Hello~
I am brand spankin' new here and totally overwhelmed. After chatting with the wpmuDEV people for the past week, I decided that WPMU w/ Marketpress was exactly what I needed. I was assured that the transition would be flawless. I specifically asked if I would lose my content, seo, tags, plugins, etc. David from WPMUdev told me everything BUT the plugins would transfer over. This was a huge relief as I am not a programmer, I don't know code and have no clue about mySQL or ftp. I was under the impression that paying the fee to wp.mu would sort of auto-pilot me through this.

It appears that I not only lost my plugins (which I was prepared for), but I lost everything.
Is there anyone who can help? I need my content back asap. I worked way too hard for it to be gone. I am sure there must be a way, I just don't know what it is :slight_frown:

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya tutuology,

First off, welcome to WPMU DEV!

Ugh, that's no fun losing content - but I bet we can help ya recover it.

There's several ways to get this taken care of and quite a bit of information that we'll need to get a look at this.

First off, did you use the WordPress export feature (under the tools menu in admin) to get a backup copy?

What version of WordPress were you running? The latest 3.0.5?

If you went through WP.MU I'm thinking you got a brand new setup, is this correct?

If so, then you're old install should still be available. This means we can still get to and export the information. If that's true, then let me know. It should be as simple as changing some information back over with your domain registrar (godaddy or similar).

Let us know and we'll walk ya through it :slight_smile:

• tutuology
    • The Bug Hunter

thanks so much :slight_smile: I did not use the export feature, but I do use backup-technology for wordpress if that helps. I jacked something up (probably when I was adding snippets earlier today b4 the wpmu install) and cannot get in to my old admin (I changed the dns back to my old host to try to export the files, but this is the message I receive:
    Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /hermes/web05b/b2028/moo.kellysavard/wp-includes/functions.php:4304) in /hermes/web05b/b2028/moo.kellysavard/wp-login.php on line 337

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /hermes/web05b/b2028/moo.kellysavard/wp-includes/functions.php:4304) in /hermes/web05b/b2028/moo.kellysavard/wp-login.php on line 349

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /hermes/web05b/b2028/moo.kellysavard/wp-includes/functions.php:4304) in /hermes/web05b/b2028/moo.kellysavard/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 690

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /hermes/web05b/b2028/moo.kellysavard/wp-includes/functions.php:4304) in /hermes/web05b/b2028/moo.kellysavard/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 691

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /hermes/web05b/b2028/moo.kellysavard/wp-includes/functions.php:4304) in /hermes/web05b/b2028/moo.kellysavard/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 692

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /hermes/web05b/b2028/moo.kellysavard/wp-includes/functions.php:4304) in /hermes/web05b/b2028/moo.kellysavard/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 890

• tutuology
    • The Bug Hunter

I get this message at the login screen: Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /hermes/web05b/b2028/moo.kellysavard/wp-includes/functions.php:4304) in /hermes/web05b/b2028/moo.kellysavard/wp-login.php on line 337

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /hermes/web05b/b2028/moo.kellysavard/wp-includes/functions.php:4304) in /hermes/web05b/b2028/moo.kellysavard/wp-login.php on line 349
    Tutu.ology

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya Tutu.ology,

Ok, this may sound like a step backwards, but I think it can help. Have you ever manually overwritten your WordPress files via ftp?

It appears one of the files has been corrupted somehow (maybe during whatever process was used for backup?)

Installing WordPress manually is actually very easy. It involves downloading the latest stable version here:
    http://wordpress.org/download/

Assuming you had 3.0.5 before, just unzip the files to your hard. Specifically we want to overwrite everything on your server in the /wp-includes/ folder. Just grab the entire folder form your local directory and overwrite the wp-includes folder.

If you had a different version (or are unsure), I'd recommend overwriting everything on the ftp server with the exception of your wp-content folder (where your themes and plugins are held).

You should be able to upload everything else without issue and then be able to login. Let us know if you need further clarification on any of this.

Thanks!

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

It's cool. :slight_smile:

Before we go through a direct database export though, I'd like to see if we can get your original WordPress install working. It'll really make the export process much easier.

If you want further instruction here I'm happy to help.

If you'd like, I can log in and take a look. I'll need both an ftp login to your site and admin access to the old wordpress install (so a username, pasword, and link to the login).

Just use the contact form and mark it to my (Mason's) attention:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.