Help in my login/register options

I've been asking help for hours with this issue. I need to solve this problem now. I'm using the Membership Premium plugin and I need to create a different route for login.

Right now, the only way to login is via the WP, but that creates a WP context for subscription that is apart from the membership registration process I've designed. Here are the issues.

1. I want to avoid as much as possible people using the WP to subscribe. This may trigger them receiving stuff only for members. Also, visitors may believe that they can join the membership by subscribing via WP, which is not the case.

2. I want to point visitors to register with the Membership registration page. That is already done by placing the registration page in the menu, but if they believe that they are registering via the WP box, it's confusing and defeats the membership path to subscription.

3. Yet, if I completely eliminate the WP loginbox, How do the registered members log in? I have to create a link and menu option for LOGIN/ LOGOUT. But I don't know where to direct members for this.

I have the wp registration off and I have created redirect pages. But right now, if I use the redirection pages, they go back to the WP-login default URL.

What can I do? Either I need a more controlled login plugin, in which chase which one do you recommend?

Or perhaps there's a way to create a login page using the Membership plugin?

Thanks,
MM

• hpidriver

What is the end goal you have in mind? It seems like you would like to offer visitors and guests the ability to subscribe (to what exactly - a mailing list, notifications of new posts?)

There are many simple plugins that will let people subscribe via email if that is what you are a looking for.

For example, there is this plugin that lets users register as well as giving them the option to subscribe to a mail list - http://connect.mailchimp.com/integrations/wordpress-registration-and-comment-form-integration

• mariamar

Sorry, but did you read my question at all?

I gave a precise, detailed description of exactly what I need, and what you are saying here is the OPPOSITE of what I described. Please read the question again, carefully before answering and then let me know exactly what my options are. If you do not understand any part of the question or what I'm trying to do, then ask me specific questions so that I can clarify.

At the core of my confusion is this question: Once a visitor registers and becomes a member (having access to certain subscription plans), how do they log in? Do they use the WP login? Are they automatically logged in when they return? I've studied the entire manual and look at all options, and I don't see any information on this.

And this is the bottom line of what I need: I need to allow registered members (who paid for a subscription plan) to login easily while discouraging visitors from attempting to register using the WP box instead of the Membership registration page. I've been at this for several days and it's delaying my membership development schedule.

Also understand that I am not a developer or coder, so answers need to be in plain English.

Thanks,
    MM

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @mariamar

I hope you are well today and thank you for your question, out of the box membership doesn't have it's own login box/link etc.

The best way then, you said you already have the redirects set up? Or if not, set up a 301, to a page with a sidebar and use this plugin here http://wordpress.org/plugins/nice-login-register-widget/ your users can then login from the front-end and won't need to touch the wordpress login page at all :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• mariamar

Thanks, Jack,
    But you have not answer my specific questions.

ONE
    What happens when a member who has registered comes back? How do they login? Do they use WP sign up box? When they use the WP, are they now inside their membership plan subscription? Do you see what I mean? IF for example, I've created categories that only x subscription plan can see, will this member now see it? Will she have access to member's areas?

WTO
    If this is so, how can I create a loggin/logout for the members that's easily accessible WHILE AT THE SAME TIME discouraging non-members from using it to subscribe?

What is happening now is that if I place the login/logout for members, visitors who are used to using WP to subscribe are going to be tempted to use it believing they are registering.

This presents 2 problems:
    1) The visitors believe they have registered as members, but they did not, so they now wait for the membership content and do not receive it. I just lost them from being converted into paying members and I got angry, disappointed subscribers.

2) They may actually receive some of the paid member's automated content (I'm not sure, as there are so many variables I'm working on right now.)

The ideal solution is to have a customized/branded login/logout page for the members that will either a) not accept non-registered members or b) will have a message and link to redirect those visitors seeking to register.

That would solve the problem.

Thanks,
    MM

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @mariamar

What happens when a member who has registered comes back? How do they login? Do they use WP sign up box? When they use the WP, are they now inside their membership plan subscription? Do you see what I mean? IF for example, I've created categories that only x subscription plan can see, will this member now see it? Will she have access to member's areas?

If you use the plugin I linked to, they would go to the home page and sign in from the sidebar, or you could use something like theme my login, as WP registration is disabled, they won't be able to sign up through that or theme my login.

When they use the WP, are they now inside their membership plan subscription

If they have a membership plan then yes, upon sign it, they would have access to the protected content they should have access to.

If they don't have an active subscription, they won't be able to view protected content, even if they have an account or expired subscription.

What is happening now is that if I place the login/logout for members, visitors who are used to using WP to subscribe are going to be tempted to use it believing they are registering.

In this case, perhaps rather than the initial plugin I linked to, theme my login would be best, as then with WP registration disabled, they can only register via the membership plugin would should cause no confusion :slight_smile:

http://wordpress.org/plugins/theme-my-login/

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• mariamar

OK, Jack, I installed the Theme-my-Login Plugin. Let me tell you that this guy has a lousy. No. Scratch. Non-existent support. The explanations are schematic. The help is non-existent. I even went to the forum and he hasn't answered a question in years!

So I did the best I could. I still don't have a login page that I can include in the menu, and don't know how I would go about setting it using this plugin. There's no place for preview, so I don't know how it looks, and as much as I had wanted to place captcha and disable wp-admin login as security measures, I can't because he does not explain a thing on what this means, what the security keys are and where to get them and if I disable the wp-admin login page, where do visitors go to sign up. Do I have to create a loginpage? Place some codes? Or is the plugin create one automatically? Where is it? How does it look? None of this is explained or shown.

I know this is not your plugin, but if you could be so kind as to answer any of these, if you've used the plugin, perhaps I can do a better set-up. If not, then I really have no clue as to what has been improved, as I can't even see the login page. There's no link or preview.

So I'll try using the widget, but I need to place a login/logout URL in the menu, and I'm at a lost. This plugin may be good, but the support material is so bad that if you had not recommended it to solve this problem, I'd have deleted it in a blink.

Thanks,
    MM

• mariamar

Jack, I'm sorry but I really hate this plugin. I can't understand or see what I'm doing. Instead of giving me more control, it's taken all control away! I've looked at the login and logout pages it created and I can't make head or tail. It's included access to the dashboard and profile, in spite of the fact I did not ask it to do profiles (since I'm planning using the memebrship directory plugin) and then it asks me to login AGAIN to see any of these. It does not allow me to edit the page, either. No. This gotta go.

I tried. But this is not solving anything for me.

I'm back to square 1. The other plugin you recommended cannot be used with WP registration disabled, right? Any ideas?

Thanks,
    MM

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @mariamar

I hope you are well today and sorry for the delay with my reply, I had missed your previous responses. Sorry to hear the plugin didn't work out for you.

I have taken a look around and as long as you have WordPress registration disabled this plugin here should work for you http://wordpress.org/plugins/login-with-ajax/ though it won't display on a page rather it's used within the sidebar if that would work for you?

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• mariamar

Hi, Jack.

Funny. Life is a trickster. After much trial and error, that's the one I've installed.

I created several roles, for example, the role of subscribers, trial and member.
    Then I redirect each role to different pages.
    I redirected subscribers (who did not register via the membership) to a page where it is explained that in order to receive the content they need to register via membership and a link.

Ihope that this clears up and directs everyone to where they need to go.

Thanks.
    MM
    The down side with this plugin, which I find excellent, is that they are not maintaining it any more. Just so you know.

• mariamar

Yes and no.

I found a note in a page at the forum after I was digging in trying to find some answers, deep into some 10 pages. Then the note showed up at the top saying something like "this plugin is no longer maintained".

Which is not responsible at all. It should have been, as usual, at the top of the plugin details.

So I sense that either one or both creators are still wanting people to use it, but don't have time to maintain it. In the forum the questions were not answered and people were going through the roof, so frustrated and angry. The only answers I saw were from about 8 months ago or earlier.

That's the status as I saw it. It's still a great plugin, but basically you are on your own if you have problems and they don't seem to have plans to upgrade it as of now, so with all the constant changes in WP, there may come a time I'll have to delete it and search for another. Until then, I'll say I have one problem solved and only 10 to go to finish the site! LOL

Hope this helps,
    MM

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.