Help me stop procrastinating by helping people on WPMU

This is an advanced support topic.

I need to refactor my code on a client theme, finish my wedding website, add the WPMU fundraiser plugin to an entirely new site that I haven't designed yet for a friend's funeral expenses... and I'm sitting on the forums because it's easier to help other people with problems I know how to solve than it is to think about my own.

Ah, the human condition.

Give me some wit, some lecture... I need to stop!

• Brian Purkiss

hahaha.

While I appreciate the help here on the forums, sounds like you should be working on other things. :slight_smile:

Something that I have found that helps me focus is to close out all other apps, not log onto facebook, turn on some music, and turn on a time tracker. As long as I am on the clock, I can't be doing anything else. I've also found that 5-15 min breaks every hourish and/or 30-60 min breaks every fourish hours to be extremely helpful.

Although these tips don't work for everyone. I hope they help you.

• Gabe

Ha, man I deal with the same thing. I find it easier to break the larger projects into smaller tasks and tackle them one by one. Whenever I get in the zone I knock out quite a bit. Whenever I'm not, I look at these forums, look at the stock market and real estate listings for good buys and do other work until I'm in the zone again. It's a vicious cycle, but it works. As long as *most* of my time can be tied to productivity I consider it a win.

If all else fails, I go to the gym. Working out twice a day really helps...lift in the morning, cardio in the evening. If I'm running or on the rowing machine I listen to podcasts (i.e. Mixergy, Startups for the Rest of Us, TechZing, etc.) If I'm cycling on the stationary bike I'll just read business books for an hour or so on my Kindle. The gym is refreshing and a great place for ideas. Plus, you’ll feel better, sleep better and be more productive.

Variation is what does it for me. As long as you're mostly productive most of the time, you're doing better than 99% of other people.

• Imperative Ideas

Ultimately I have to be willing to do three things to get back in the zone.

1. Close all of my tabs. Use a session saver if I have to but kill them dead because something will ALWAYS catch my interest on the way back down the line (this site, a baseball blog, Facebook... something will eat my focus)

2. Eat a live frog first thing in the morning (or do the thing you are most likely to procrastinate on before anything else)

3. Keep current with my projects on Asana. Once the dates start slipping, everything goes to hell.

4. Know the difference between "must have" and "would be nice"

Mostly though, it's #1... though 2-4 make 1 a lot less likely to be a problem.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.