Help! Membership chaos.

Hi,

I'm using the membership plugin on my site naturaltransition.com. It
has started showing some very strange behaviour. I have screen shots
that I can send but if you'd like to test it out for yourself to see
what is going on, please go to
http://naturaltransition.com/members/login/. Earlier today, when I went there, it said
welcome jeanbarclif (Not me and I wasn't logged in). This continued for a few hours but now doesn't happen.
If you then click on the dashboard link it takes you to
reauthorisation page. Then you can use the username test2 with the
password p0ster. Upon doing that, I get a message that I don't have
authorisation to access this page. It's trying to use the wp-admin page upon logon. Then I click the back arrow on my
browser and find that I am indeed now logged in as test 2 and the menu
bar is very, very messed up.
I notice that the whole members area is running very slowly too.

I've uninstalled all plugins except membership to test and the behaviour was unchanged.
I've tried re-uploading all of the membership files over top of the old ones and the behaviour was unchanged.

I've checked the site for malware and it comes back clean. That's not
say it is, just that sucuri.net and timthumb scanner didn't find any. Are you aware of any
malware that exploits the membership plugin?

Is there anything you can suggest to help me out here?

I have a manual backup that I use if I really need to. It will be a bit fiddly. Would rather try and fix the problem if anyone knows what it might be and how I could do it.

Thanks!

Julie

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Julie,

Welcome to WPMU Dev!

I visited your site and though I do not have know what the menu's are supposed to look like, I did get the "you don't have permission" error and just as you indicated if I go back in the browser it shows I am already logged in.

When I first read your post I thought this could possibly be a cache problem but after testing it certainly is not unless you are running a cache plugin?

Which version of Membership plugin are you using?

It could be a database problem that can be straightened out.
    Can you run a MySQL error check?

I await to hear from you in an effort to get this sorted out.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

• naturaltransition
    • Flash Drive

Thanks so much for your reply Joe.
    The menu is supposed to look like it does before you long in. When I log in it displays all pages in the menu over about 6 lines deep. Very, very messy :disappointed:
    I'm not running a cache plugin.
    The version of membership I'm running is version. 2.1.4
    I'll have to give my host a call to find out how I can run a MySQL error check.

Thanks again for your help. I'll let you know how I go with the error check.

Julie

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Julie,

You are most certainly welcome and thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

I acknowledge that we may have not gotten to the bottom of this issue yet, but I will mark it as resolved.

This way you can come back to the ticket - reopening this ticket below marking it as not resolved (or else we'll miss it!). In addition, please post any new symptoms or errors if applicable.

Thanks again for being a WPMU Dev member!

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Julie,

Are there any errors in your hosting panel error log?

Have you installed or upgraded and plugins since you noticed this anomaly?

In reflection I reread your original post, I admit I am impressed at your techniques and trying to get to the bottom of this yourself. In addition, you actually backup! Cheers to you!

There are no known exploits to the Membership plugin but of course one can never be sure. However, this would seem more like a theme/css change though I have revisited your site and checking the source code can see no anomalies that would be causing this.

I know you mentioned you have a backup - is it possible for you to make another backup of your site the way it is? and then restore your old backup to see if it corrects the issue?

If you do go through this procedure and it corrects the issue - then please consider sending me both backups and I will scan them for changes to try to get to the bottom of this - as to what changed and hopefully why. Of course I will give you a secure area for me to grab that info.

• naturaltransition
    • Flash Drive

Thanks Joe,
    Those are very reassuring words for a novice like me to hear :slight_smile:
    I'm going to restore from back up shortly, I'm just coping the site the way it is for you to run that scan. I'm quite intrigued as to what may have happened!
    I can't find any error messages in my host panel and I did update some plugins around the time that this started happening but I have since tested the site with all plugins disabled except for membership so I think I can rule that out as the issue.
    Thanks again... I'll let you know where we stand once I restored from backup.

:slight_smile: Julie

• naturaltransition
    • Flash Drive

Hi Joe,

I've restored the back up and lost the whole site with an error message as follows:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function load_membership_addons() in /nfs/c09/h01/mnt/127207/domains/naturaltransition.com/html/wp-content/plugins/membership/membershippremium.php on line 75

Have then renamed the membership file and the site is back.
    SO it looks like I have a big problem with the plugin on my site. I've been using it successfully for quite some time and have active members and the site is set up with the membership plugin an integral part of the whole.
    If I delete the plugin and install it again, will I lose the active members I have there?

Any ideas on how to proceed?

Do you want my 2 backups to look at?

Regards,

Julie

• naturaltransition
    • Flash Drive

OK... I'm all out of ideas. I've got the site back to how it was before I did the backup restore that went haywire. The dashboard was completely messed up so I put it back to how it was before the restore.

So the symptoms are exactly the same now as my original post.

I've tried a brand new install of membership downloaded from this site just a few minutes ago. Still the same.

Any ideas?

• naturaltransition
    • Flash Drive

I really need some help here.

I've now got this to the point where the only problem remaining is that users are being taken to the
    wp-admin page on login and shown an error message that says they don't have permission to do that.
    A plugin that redirects users on login has been installed and configured yet the problem remains.

You can see the issue by using the test account username testing, password tester.

I'd really appreciate someone getting back to me. I haven't had a response to this thread since Thursday night and this has cost me a lot in productivity as well as having to pay someone to take a look only to get it to the point it's at now.

Is there anyone who could take a look at things I'd really appreciate it.

Regards,

Julie

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Julie :slight_smile:

Sorry for the delay here - each time you posted it moved the ticket further up the time line and I did not see it.

If this ever happens again, which I will try to make sure it does not, please open another ticket referencing the older one so it comes immediately up front. In addition, I have a brand new protocol for dealing with tickets that started on Monday evening that should indeed prevent missing replies.

Please submit the backups here and I will run a scan on them.

You should not be getting a WP Login screen at all considering that membership plugin completely takes over the system and registration.

Disable WordPress registration - The membership plugin takes over the registration process, so you need to disable the standard WordPress registration. Logged into the network admin dashboard --> Settings --> Registration Settings category --> choose Registration is disabled and save.

Please advise where we are at resolving these issue now.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Julie,

I have not heard from you in some time regarding your issue and nor had a response to my reply addressing those issues thereof.

Did you manage to get this handled by yourself or perhaps in live chat?

If so Happy Day and no need to reply.

I am marking this ticket as resolved as a house keeping measure, but if it is not resolved please check mark it as not resolved below and post any new errors, symptoms, or status of the situation.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.