Help! My site has gone wonky!

Hey guys! In short, I've not worked on my site in over a week (been busy crafting for the art shows). Just now, I went on to my site and discovered that my menu has taken on a mind of its own, my site will not load in chrome, and it does load in firefox and IE, but the menu does not show drop-downs. Since I was last on, there is a new WP release. I have made the update and all plugins are current. Please, Any thoughts?

• Rick Lewis
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

I see you are using the Network theme as well. That may help narrow things down or I think it should.

I have seen that same type of url myself in the past and I wish I knew exactly the how and why so I could help you with that. I know just enough to be dangerous with all this stuff. I am more of a server side help desk tech type of person. I leave this fancy coding for the smarter people.

I know it can be a pain to have a broken site but help will show up on here soon enough. It usually always does!

If I come up with anything on my own I will surely let you know. :slight_smile:

• Rick Lewis

This menu issue doesn't seem to be only in the network theme. I just tried the blogs MU with a custom menu and default menu. Both do not have dropdowns.

I tried the BP Fun theme and that works fine. Not sure this info helps the experts but wanted to let you know some of the troubleshooting that's been done.

• tutuology
    • The Bug Hunter

Thanks Rick. I am hesitant to switch themes as I have done a lot of custom work to my network child :slight_frown: This is just so crazy. Itching to get some dev feedback.....they are really good at isolating the problem. I cannot even access my site. I am wondering if it is a caching issue there...and why my menu is not working is beyond me. I went to google webmaster tools and my site is throwing out gobs of 404's. Please rescue me devs!!!

• Rick Lewis

I got to your site just fine and everything seemed ok but the menu. I would clear cache and maybe even restart your computer as you should be able to get to your site. It's there and working from what I can see.

It can be frustrating for sure. I can tell you that even with a little menu issue or even not seeing the site, it's far worse using some other options for the core script of a website.

I have reverted back to the BP Default and things are working ok for the moment. Not the look I want for a gaming site but it allows the users to use the site.

Hang in there!!

• Ovidiu
    • Code Wrangler

@tutuology:

you never, ever just click the update button.
    have you checked that all your active plugins are compatible with wp 3.2?

besides, my guess is that you haven't yet upgraded BuddyPress to the latest version which was released to guarantee compatibility with wp 3.2

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

Let me just step in here as I have tested this and it has to be something site specific. As you can see from my screenshot attached the menus work fine as do content.

Any upgrade can go wrong and to minimise issues you have to be a bit methodical. Here are my suggestions for those experiencing issues;

1. Update to latest theme - Network one was released this morning - should one of our themes NOT have been updated yet do not expect it to work it won't or will with various degrees of success where scripting occurs. Don't worry though we have a 24hour update guarantee we always meet. Also a ton of our themes already work and are updated.
    2. Update to ALL latest plugins

In the case of WordPress 3.2 there are JavaScript changes that are breaking a ton of plugins and also themes.
    If you use BuddyPress make sure you are on 1.2.9

If you experience issues then:

3. Remove ALL plugins you can and see which are causing issues.

As said before and I will repeat Network has no issues on a vanilla test bed therefore this indicates that potentially it is a plugin issue. If after going through all those steps you still have an issue we need the following:

1. What browser and version you are using
    2. Your site url

Once you follow these steps hopefully you will resolve any site issues you are having. I would also encourage people to not assume themes or plugins are broken until those steps have gone through. What one person experiences on a site is rarely the same as another. We need to ensure everyone gets the right help.

• tutuology
    • The Bug Hunter

Hey, just wanted to say that the problem was there prior to the upgrade to 3.2. I DID to the unthinkable and updated automatically. I didn't know that was a no-no. How do I manually update to 3.2? I always manually update themes and plugins, but for the wp update, I did it automatically (I did try to find out how to manually install, but was unclear).

I cannot log in to my admin. It's redirecting me to a blank home page. Because of this, I cannot follow the steps outlined above.

• tutuology
    • The Bug Hunter

Accessing my site through IE (which I never do) was successful. While attempting to log in to my admin, I received a fatal error with regards to the membership plugin. I simply removed the plugin through ftp and everything seems to be working fine.....however, I am currently learning to do a manual update to 3.2 because I want to update correctly.

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

In order to gain access to your admin area you could rename your plugins folder (to something like "xplugins") in order to force de-activation of plugins.

You could also similarly rename the folder of your active theme to force WordPress to use the default there, too.

That should allow you to access the dashboard. You can then rename the folders back and re-activate one-by-one to test if they're compatible.

Let us know how you get on,
    Phil

• tutuology
    • The Bug Hunter

Thanks Phil. I am back in business and can access site and admin through chrome, ie, and firefox. Membership and BuddyPress were causing problems. I made a backup, deactivated all plugins, and upgraded to version 3.2 manually.

I have not yet reinstalled membership. I have upgraded Buddypress, byt when active, it breaks my menu. Any advice there?

• Ovidiu
    • Code Wrangler

@tutuology:

sorry I can't help you with those plugins, but don't get me wrong: you can use automatic upgrade, just make sure all plugins are 3.2 compatible before upgrading. Since 3.2. just came out, I'm sure most plugins aren't compatible yet.
    I usually wait 1-2 weeks before upgrading - that gives plugin authors time to catch up :slight_smile:
    Still, its good to know how a manual update works in case your automatic one breaks.

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

I have not yet reinstalled membership. I have upgraded Buddypress, byt when active, it breaks my menu. Any advice there?

Hmm, is that with the default BP theme or another one? If it's not the default it's probably incompatibility between the theme and the new BP.

Phil

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

As we haven't heard back from you we're going to assume the problem
    was sorted out and mark this ticket as resolved.

If it wasn't resolved, or you have any more questions related to this
    thread please feel free to post them below and tick the 'Mark as Not
    Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Otherwise, thanks for using the forums, and for being a member of WPMU
    DEV, it's a pleasure to help you out and we look forward to being of
    assistance in the future.

Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.