Help needed with Membership plugin settings

Hey there! Just need a little help finessing some of the settings of the Membership plugin please. Take a look at http://heartsandlaserbeams.com/dev/jflem/ for reference.

1) When I sign up for a membership and don't finish signing up (close the popup box without paying), I get directed to the protected content message. No matter where I click after that I can't get away from the protected content message.

When I log in with my unpaid login / pass combo and try to click around, even free pages of the site are showing up as protected as well, and then I can't get away from the protected message.

In my membership settings, in the access levels area, I have negative rules set up for unpaid folks so they can't see the videos. Then I have positive access rules set up for paid folks that gives them access to full site. Is my workaround to set up positive access rules for unpaid folks and make sure not to add the areas of the site that are for paid members?

2) The membership part of this site is videos embedded into blog posts, and paid members get access to those videos. The blog page is working just like it should, where people can see a little snippet of the post and click over, but when you click on this link, none of the previews show up if you're not logged in:

http://heartsandlaserbeams.com/dev/jflem/videos/

That's currently set up using the Posts Per Cat plugin, and it's pulling the 8 most recent videos onto the page via a shortcode. If you're logged in, that page shows the video links fine, but if you're not logged in the area where those would be is blank. Any input you can give with that? I'm going to keep digging to see if I can find another alternative, but wanted to see if you guys could lend a hand.

3) Comment from client as they're testing from their end: "I clicked on sign up today on the front page and then clicked on sign up on the bottom of that page. Then I tried to login with an account I already had. When I did that it asked me for a coupon code. At that point I believe it should just redirect to the video page."

Thanks much!

• Steph Calvert
    • The Crimson Coder

Hey there! Just a heads up I took care of item 2 on this list ditching Posts Per Cat and using the Shortcode any Widget plugin to add the Genesis Featured Posts widget to the videos page. Now it's showing up like it should for people not logged in.

I just need some help from you guys on 1) and 3) on that list please please - rest of the site is ready to go and client is eager to push live.

Thanks much!
    steph

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

Hi Steph,

Hope you're well?

It could be that you are using mixed rules in your access levels.

You should use all positive rules, or all negative, as mixing both does cause some issues.

Could you try switching your negative rules to positive rules and see if it starts to work then?

#3 Could you create a test account which is assigned to that membership level so I can test the login, as I don't have an account to be able to test that with.

Could you grant support access from the dashboard plugin so we can take a closer look? See https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Thanks

• Steph Calvert
    • The Crimson Coder

Good morning! I was out of office for a couple of days to tend to sick kids, checking in with this issue - logged into the backend of the site and reactivated the support access, looks like you guys hadn't had a chance to log in and take a look. Can we get this taken care of soon please?

Thanks guys!
    steph

• Steph Calvert
    • The Crimson Coder

Just a heads up, issue #1 is fixed thanks to live chat support - thank you! For reference if anyone else finds this thread, the problem was I had applied visitor access to the unpaid member. To fix, I needed to duplicate the Visitor settings as a separate unpaid (private) membership level and set that to the default in the membership plugin settings.

#3 is outstanding - please see screengrab attached for reference. If you create an unpaid account, closing out the registration process before signing up via paypal, and then come back and click the sign up now link, and try to login with the lightbox popup, you're taken here. I realize the user can click outside the box to close it without paying, which is fine. How do we change up this messaging to gently remind the customer they should finish signing up via paypal? The wording on this box is a little unclear, which is where I think my client is getting confused.

• Steph Calvert
    • The Crimson Coder

Just a heads up this looks like something that's an issue with the popup box option of the registration page. I changed back to the original form version and #3 is resolved, see attached screengrab.

The popup box looks nicer though, so maybe if you guys have time you could take a look at that for a future update to the plugin?

Thanks for all the help on this, marking topic as closed :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.