Help needed with Ultimate Facebook Plugin for a few things...

Hi - I have managed to get the ultimate facebook plugin working to some extent but there are still some issues. Note: I am trying to integrate this tightly with Buddypress.

1) I cannot find anywhere how to reduce the permissions required - I do not need or want to know peoples religion for example - how do I do this? If it's in the code, can you point me in the right direction please?
2) I want to switch OFF the 'Fill my BuddyPress profile with Facebook data' link as it does not work (see here: http://www.fitness-saver.com/members/admin/profile/edit/group/1, replace admin with your own facebookid once you've joined the site). I want the old option to be available where people could edit their extended profile settings. These extended profile settings will be unique to Fitness Saver and I do not need to copy them from Facebook.
3) I would, on the other hand, like to copy the Facebook Avatar automatically - I want this to happen as part of the login/registration process.
4) I had to remove /register/ as it meant users had to register and THEN log in. I've replaced this with my own HTML page which has a short code for Join Fitness Saver - this is FYI only as you probably need to fix this for others.
5) On Buddypress, once logged in through Ultimate Facebook login button, the 'Settings' button asks for the users password etc. This tab should either not exist or it should be telling the user to visit Facebook to change those settings.
6) I need to be able to programatically modify the redirect option - currently I'm redirecting logins to /activity/ which I'm happy with, but e.g. when a new Personal Trainer joins (and then joining auto-registers them) I want to redirect them to a different page altogether. Ideally I'd like to be able to redirect them somewhere for their first sign in and then somewhere else for every sign in after that.

I hope you can help and look forward to hearing from you!

Kindest Regards,
One of your biggest fans....

David Hilditch

dhilditch

also, I'm still awaiting an answer from another post for the same plugin, so for completeness:

7) I use the 'Use Facebook for comments' option which is fantastic except that it does not update the comment count.

Finally, I'd like to +1 other peoples requests for integration with likes and comments into cubepoints - e.g. someone likes a page, give them 5 points, someone comments on a page (using facebook) give the 10 points.

Mason

Hiya dhilditch,

Whew, that's quite a list! It's awesome that you've been working with this plugin in such detail. It does a lot, but we're always interested in the ways users are using it.

Let's take a look:

1) I cannot find anywhere how to reduce the permissions required - I do not need or want to know peoples religion for example - how do I do this? If it's in the code, can you point me in the right direction please?

How do you have the Facebook Connect settings done? Where are you seeing people's religion? The information is made available via Facebook, but you don't have to record it anywhere on your site.

2) I want to switch OFF the 'Fill my BuddyPress profile with Facebook data' link as it does not work (see here: http://www.fitness-saver.com/members/admin/profile/edit/group/1, replace admin with your own facebookid once you've joined the site). I want the old option to be available where people could edit their extended profile settings. These extended profile settings will be unique to Fitness Saver and I do not need to copy them from Facebook.

In my test the avatar from Facebook was pulled in by default. What BuddyPress fields do you have matched to Facebook fields? If you don't have any, this won't have anything to sync up.

3) I would, on the other hand, like to copy the Facebook Avatar automatically - I want this to happen as part of the login/registration process.

It should be doing that. It did for me, and also automatically changed when I updated it within Facebook.

4) I had to remove /register/ as it meant users had to register and THEN log in. I've replaced this with my own HTML page which has a short code for Join Fitness Saver - this is FYI only as you probably need to fix this for others.

Will ask the developer to look into it.

5) On Buddypress, once logged in through Ultimate Facebook login button, the 'Settings' button asks for the users password etc. This tab should either not exist or it should be telling the user to visit Facebook to change those settings.

That's a valid point. Again, I will let the developer know.

6) I need to be able to programatically modify the redirect option - currently I'm redirecting logins to /activity/ which I'm happy with, but e.g. when a new Personal Trainer joins (and then joining auto-registers them) I want to redirect them to a different page altogether. Ideally I'd like to be able to redirect them somewhere for their first sign in and then somewhere else for every sign in after that.

As you've already got a custom registration page going you should be able to implement something like this I believe:
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4267285/redirect-user-after-first-login-in-wordpress

7) I use the 'Use Facebook for comments' option which is fantastic except that it does not update the comment count.

This doesn't happen as themes are counting WordPress comments and the comments are displalyed from Facebook, but not imported to the database.

Finally, I'd like to +1 other peoples requests for integration with likes and comments into cubepoints - e.g. someone likes a page, give them 5 points, someone comments on a page (using facebook) give the 10 points.

Cool. Consider your vote counted

Thanks!

dhilditch

1) I'm referring to when you initially login through Facebook, having never logged in previously, it shows the little icon of our Fitness Saver app and tells the user all the details we'll be able to see - I know through the Facebook connect API it's possible to configure what stuff you want access to, I just don't know where to change this in Ultimate Facebook.

2 & 3) thanks re: facebook avatar - was my stupid fault - all the files on the server were set to my FTP username whereas the /wp-content/upload folder should be owned by apache (for me anyway because we're on CentOS) - i ran chown -R apache folder-to-web/wp-content-upload/ and it fixed the avatar issue. Maybe note this in case others experience same issue with avatar.

4 & 5) thanks, will make your plugin better for others

6) thanks - that's not quite what I was looking for but it's given me an idea. See, you have an option in the admin panel for where to redirect to after login (i've changed it to /activity/) but I was hoping maybe there was a parameter I could add to this: [wdfb_connect]Join Fitness Saver[/wdfb_connect] so that when they register/login they go somewhere else. I can solve it now that you've helped me think about it by sticking a cookie on their computer and checking that on the landing page. i.e. i'll stick a cookie on their computer if they visit the 'join as a personal trainer' page and then on login I'll take them to another page to configure some advanced options for personal trainers (such as their location, bio, webpage, facebook handle, twitter handle)

7) I'm sure it's possible - I think I could possibly do it myself but I'm the only developer on this massive project due to be live in 3 weeks! What I'm thinking is that you can add some javascript code to the facebook like button and to the comment button upon successful like/comment and then have an ajax call to the server to update cubepoints. I think there might even be some javascript for cubepoints already that does this part so it's really just connecting the two. It'd be great if you guys could add this as I know there's loads of other people who would love this.

Thanks for the help.

Vladislav

Hello,

As for the permissions required, the plugin will automatically try to use a subset of permissions by selecting one of the internal, predefined permission levels according to certain conditions. If you know for a fact that you won't be needing some of the permissions, you can edit them out from class constants in "Wdfb_Permissions" class (file "lib/class_wdfb_permissions.php").

As for Facebook comments, the WordPress comment count remains the same if you're using Facebook comments option alone, as they are stored on Facebook, not locally on the server. If you're not using the WordPress comments, you can edit your theme's comments.php not to show standard comments at all, including the comments count, and rely on Facebook comments for your discussion purposes.

dhilditch

I appreciate the direction for the wdfb_permissions class - I'll edit that soon.

re: the comment count, I see the solution as being similar to the solution for integration with cubepoints:

1) Attach javascript to the facebook like & comment events
    2) Do an ajax call to the server with the userid and details about the page
    3) Update the database - cubepoints should be increased and the comment count should be adjusted too.

I'll get around to trying to code this soon - I've been having to read up on how Wordpress handles Ajax - seems like there's best practice standards etc so I'd want to follow them.

Dave

aecnu

Greetings Dave,

We have not heard back from you as to the status of this issue.

If you are still having an issue please let us know so that we may try to get you fixed up as soon as possible by choosing to check mark this ticket as unresolved below and posting any new errors or symptoms you are noticing.

This action will also bring your ticket up front back in plain view again within the ticket system.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Cheers, Joe

aecnu

Greetings Raleigh,

Thank you for your feedback, it is greatly appreciated.

I read this thread while looking for a module or any solution that will count the FB activities esp likes and shares then reward with CubePoints. I hope you can put this particular feature high priority as what he said, there are lota of people looking for this one.

Well we can certainly see how many people are looking for this one and/or add your voice to the pile of those seeking this feature right here:
    http://wpmudev.uservoice.com/

The more popular a request is and the more votes it gets, the more likely it will be considered.

It might have already been suggested. It is worth a quick search to add your votes before submitting a new suggestion.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Cheers, Joe