Help neededto get side bars on Posts again

Hello Support Team,

for any reason our Posts don't display side bar anymore but as shown in attached screenshoot we have side bars switched on.

Please help to display them again. Support access is granted.

Regards
Prinz

Aicee Taguilaso

Hi Prinz!

If the sidebars are still working back then, have you made any changes recently?
    Have you try doing plugin conflict test found on the flowchart here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/using-wpmu-dev/getting-support/

Also, may I know which subsite I should check? It seems you have missed attaching the screenshot. Could you please attach it again?

Thanks Prinz! Looking forward to your response!

Cheers,
    Aicee

Adam Czajczyk

Hey Prinz,

I hope you're well and don't mind me jumping into the thread!

I've checked your site carefully and the issue seems complex. I can confirm that you've enabled sidebars and, judging upon all the settings available in your dashboard, the sidebars widgets should be there.

I browsed the source code of your main page and it seems like some sort of "sidebar function" is triggered but doesn't produce any results apart from wrapper HTML code (that would be "

" list).

I can see also that you're using a child theme, which is a great way to customize themes. There's a code in child's functions.php file that's removing some part of parent theme. Have you checked if this code isn't interfering with sidebars? I didn't check it as I didn't want to mess with your site to much without your consent.

Also, have you contacted the theme developer? This might be an issue he/she is aware of.
    Please don't get me wrong, it's absolutely not that I don't want to help you. It's just a question as some times such issues are know to the theme developers.

Of course we both, @Aicee and me, will be looking into this! Could you also please let me know if you had a chance to test the issue with one of the default WP themes (preferably Twenty Fifteen)?

Please advise!

Cheers,
    Adam

Klaus

Hello Adam,

that's really very kind of you that you are also going to help this issue. And you are right, just recently we got some changes done on the theme which included some sort of code using the function.php file.

Unfortunately we can't remember which code were to put in... but we remember, since then the sidebar were gone. What else we remember: we requested support help for our directory layout because everything else but certainly not stylish. Unfortunately I can't find the exchanged support conversation to this matter anymore (but perhaps you and/or Aicee can pull it out anywhere to find out more what was done exactly).

In short: We appreciate much gratefully if you could return the sidebars again anyhow without destroying that directory layout.

If you need for that direct server access credential please let me know how to forward it to you.

Once again, thank you for your support.
    Prinz

Adam Czajczyk

Hey Prinz,

I hope you're well today and thank you for this additional info. I really hope we're heading here in a right direction!

That being said, indeed I'd need an access to your server in order to make any changes in site's configuration and code. Could you please send in:

Subject: "Attn: Adam Czajczyk"

- your site's WordPress admin login URL
    - admin login and password (may be a temporary account)
    - FTP credentials (hostname, username, password, port number if needed)
    - any other relevant URLs and information
    - link back to this thread

Please use our contact form here
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/.

Select "I have a different question" from the drop-down list.

Please be sure to make a full backup copy of your entire site first!

Cheers,
    Adam

Adam Czajczyk

Hey Prinz,

I hope you're well today and I'm sorry for the delay on my side!

I've browsed your last e-mails messages and although we got almost all necessary access credentials I cannot find an access to your site's dashboard at admin level anywhere. Also, the support access you've previously granted has already expired.

Having said that, I'd like to ask you if you could be so kind and either forward

- your WordPress admin url
    - admin login (may be a temporary account)
    - admin password

in addition to all other data you've already sent to me or simply re-grant me a support access via our WPMU DEV dashboard?

Thanks,
    Adam

Adam Czajczyk

Hey Prinz,

Thank you for re-granting access and sending all data once again. I've been able to access your site this time.

Furthermore, I've found why there's no sidebars: on a post edit screen I've enabled the "Trades Post Settings" screen option and changed the "Post style" to "Featured full width w. sidebar" - from now on I was able to select sidebar to be shown and after updating the post it did show on front-end.

I've set it back to the default setting for now. However, there's another question: why did it happen and, what's much more important, how to change this setting for the eniter sub-site or entire better yet for the entire network?

I must admit that I wasn't able to find the way yet. Despite the settings in "Trades Child Theme Setting" it seems not set default blog template.

That said I came up with a workaround. Please take a look at your blogs posts now. What I've done is:

1. I've copied the single.php file from parent to child theme directory
    2. I've created the /inc/templates folder inside the child theme folder
    3. I've copied these files there from parent theme:
    - template_single.php
    - template_single_multi.php
    - template_single_project.php

This last two are there only for compatibility issues.

4. I've edited the template_single.php file and about line number 63 right below this line:

//DEFAULT STYLE
        if (empty($cmb_single_style)) $cmb_single_style = "full";

I've added this line:

$cmb_single_style = "full_sidebar";

This makes default post template "hardcoded" into the template, therefore it should affect all the sub-sites that use this child theme. The drawback here is that it now cannot be changed via your dashboard settings.

However, you can easily revert my changes simply by deleting entire /inc/ folder from your child theme folder and removing single.php file from your child theme folder.

Please take a look and let me know what do you think about it!

Cheers,
    Adam