Help optimizing my images with Smush PRO and Hummingbird

I have ran the bulk Smush PRO optimization with super Smush enabled and Hummingbird still shows me that I need to compress and/or resize some images. What should I do?

• Kris Tomczyk

Hi Katie

Hope you are doing good today.

I check all images in your Performance Test in Hummingbird and all settings in Smush.

Some of images from this performance test are no compressed because those are original images used on pages, for ex.:
    images from performance test list 1-5, 8, 13-15, 17 and 18.

Smush compress only those images you set up in Smush settings.
    Hummingbird Performance Test check all images on site that are used in real.

I see you have disabled option:
    "Smush my original full-size images"
    If you enable that option this should make score higher for this case.

As for all images I also make some small investigation and it is look those images are to large for container. Let me simplify this a little bit more.

Hummingbird has two reports for image optimization.

1. Losslessly compressing - This one's is telling that image can be optimized, that's what smushing takes care of and there are no such reports on your site.

2. Compressing and resizing - This tells us that image is larger than its actual HTML holder.

The second one is what's shown in your results and that's because your theme is loading images larger than it's HTML holder, for KatieStewartWellness_CaroselImage4.jpg is a 1080x1080 image loaded but the actual HTML holder of that image is only 225x225 so the image is resized with CSS to fit in that holder.

Unfortunately this is not Hummingbird can deal with since your theme or slider code is written in the way to call the larger image, and even though the image is compressed Hummingbird doesn't like loading image larger than its holder.

There are two option to fix this:

1. Optimize/resize those images manually on PC to correct size (each image) and reupload/overwrite them again to correct folders via FTP.

2. Use default Worpdress resize option in library:
    - Go to Media -> Library
    - search you image in search box
    - hover on image and click edit
    - then click "Edit Image" button
    - you should see then "Scale Image" box where you can set new dimensions for your image/images.

Kind Regards,
    Kris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.