Help: Recurring Payments w/ Marketpress, Pay-To-Blog, and Supporter

First, I love WPMU Dev. I'm enamored with your plugins!

Second, I'm really new to your stuff. I've signed up two accounts in the last month for the different organizations I'm working with. So, I apologize if this stuff has been covered already. I didn't find the answers I was looking for when I searched.

Here are my questions:
I'm using the Pay-To-Blog, Supporter, and MarketPress plugins in an WPMS network. I'm using several other plugins you offer as well, but these are relevant to my post. The Pay-To-Blog plugin is used to allow people to create a new blog and pay for it's use. The Supporter plugin is used to upgrade their blog to "Premium" stuff. And the Marketpress is used for other services related to their blog and online marketing.

1. If someone wants to pay for use of the blog (normally handled by Pay-to-Blog) could they do this in the MarketPress system and automagically "extend" their use?

2. If someone wants to pay to upgrade their blog to Supporter Level, could they do this in Marketpress and again, automagically "extend" their Supporter Level service?

3. Is there a better way to handle Pay-to-Blog and Premium subscriptions? It seems kind of silly to make payments in two different places...

4. How do I setup recurring payments in Marketpress? If it matters, I'm using the PayPal Express Checkout gateway.

Thanks for your help!

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi troycdunn and welcome to WPMU DEV!

Glad you're as enthusiastic as we all are around here! Let's take a look at your queries!

I'm using the Pay-To-Blog, Supporter, and MarketPress plugins in an WPMS network. I'm using several other plugins you offer as well, but these are relevant to my post. The Pay-To-Blog plugin is used to allow people to create a new blog and pay for it's use. The Supporter plugin is used to upgrade their blog to "Premium" stuff. And the Marketpress is used for other services related to their blog and online marketing.

One caveat to note to begin with is that Pay-To-Blog and Supporter would be unable to work together. Supporter rather supersedes Pay-To-Blog and is actually capable of very much the same functionality, with the added boost of being able to provide a premium structure for plugins and themes.

1. If someone wants to pay for use of the blog (normally handled by Pay-to-Blog) could they do this in the MarketPress system and automagically "extend" their use?

I'm not totally sure I understand your scenario with this one but Supporter can take care of everything as far as paying for a blog. It can also provide for a free trial period which you specify in the options.

2. If someone wants to pay to upgrade their blog to Supporter Level, could they do this in Marketpress and again, automagically "extend" their Supporter Level service?

This wouldn't be able to be done through MarketPress itself, but with Supporter, blog owners will see the upgrade options in the back-end. You could also manually extend a blog to Supporter status as an option as well.

3. Is there a better way to handle Pay-to-Blog and Premium subscriptions? It seems kind of silly to make payments in two different places...

Sure, I think that's where Supporter itself could handle all your blog payment needs. I'll be glad to delve into any specifics on that if you have questions on it.

4. How do I setup recurring payments in Marketpress? If it matters, I'm using the PayPal Express Checkout gateway.

There's not currently a way to handle recurring payments (or subscriptions) in MarketPress. We'll gladly take into account any ideas you have to that effect via a feature request though.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/forum/feature-suggestions

I don't believe that's been formally requested as yet but we'll happily take a look into that possibility.

Cheers,
    David

• Troy
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Thanks for your help on this David!

Here is how I want the system to function:

1. Users create a new website within the MS Network on their own and are given a free trial for a few days.
    2. After the free trial the user needs to "pay-to-blog". This user once paid, will have access to the basic functionality that they had during their test drive.
    3. Beyond this, there are several additional plugins and themes they can use if they upgrade their site to the next "Supporter/Premium" level. These are beyond what they get with the pay-to-blog subscription.

This is why I'm using Pay-to-Blog and Supporter together.

It doesn't sounds like Marketpress can sync with either Pay-to-Blog or Supporter. No worries there. I am concerned however if you think I'm going to run into issues using both Pay-to-Blog and Supporter on top of each other.

And yes, I'll put in a request for the recurring payments. That's kind of a big deal actually for what I need on another website as well.

994 points to go! :slight_smile:

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi troycdunn,

I stand corrected in what I'd said earlier. Pay-to-Blog and Supporter can indeed work alongside each other. There are some things to consider on that though, like the overlapping subscriptions and how they would work out (ie. if a Pay-to-Blog subscription ends before a Supporter subscription).

Also, users would have to register twice for what would seem like the same service.

There's a very nice update to these plugins that's on its way but we can't give an ETA or approximation as yet. But it may cover all of your request here.

If you're comfortable with it, Supporter provides a great conditional check, is_supporter() that can be used to check if a blog is a Supporter or not. Makes it very possible to customize if for your purposes.

Cheers,
    David

• Troy
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

I read on another post in the forum here that the Supporter may include multiple levels for subscriptions. If that is in the next update and if that update is coming soon, that would be glorious.

PHP is not my strong suit, so writing in conditional statements is scary. For now, I think I'll use what tools you've provided and hope the update is coming soon.

Thanks for your time and help. I'm going to give this thread the green check mark. :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.