Help! Site looks totally different

Hi There
I installed hummingbird - an did a full site test - and it said to empty cache - and i did - but now when i go on incognito mode - the header nor footer is loading, nor the main image....and it looks completely different. Please help! Should I deactivate the plugin? How do I get it back to normal?

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Nina,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

Issues like this are usually caused by Hummingbird's "Minification" feature. It was designed to boost your site's speed and performance rankings but it requires a bit more "attention" than most of the "regular" plugins. Let me explain :slight_smile:

The "Minification" feature is very complex tool and it includes actually "three tools in one": JS/CSS file minification, combining those files into a smaller number of larger files and moving them from their original location in site to the other one (preferably footer). All this can improve site's performance but can also cause some unexpected issues.

When you go to the "Hummingbird -> Minification" page you will notice a list of files and green "toggle switches" next to each one. These files are JS and CSS files existing on your site and the switches let you enable (green)/disable (gray) "minify" and "combine" options for the particular file.

As there's no way to make it configure itself "automagically" on each and every possible site, sometimes manual tweaking is necessary. The course of action would be like this:

- since this seem to be related to site's theme use the filter drop-down list (where it says "All files") and find your currently active theme on that list
    - then try toggling "off" one-by-one "minify" switches first for "CSS" files (each time clearing browser cache and checking if the site got back to "normal") and then "JS" files (checking as well)
    - if necessary, repeat above step for JS files also.

At some point this should bring back "normal" site while minification feature would stay enabled, thus still giving performance boost to the site.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Dimitris

Hello nina,

hope you're having a beautiful day and don't mind chiming in!

You can use at the same time HummingBird and W3TC (or any other cache plugin).

The "catch" here is not to use the same modules/functionalities in these two. If you enable the Minification from HB then disable it from W3TC, and so on...

Caching plugins can provide you page, object and query caching while HB doesn't interfere with these at all. :wink:

Here's a thread from our Members Forum considering HummingBird, W3TC and WP Super Cache
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/hummingbird-w3-or-wp-super-cache

And over here you can spot a series of articles considering how to setup W3TC
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/tag/w3-total-cache/

Hope that was some help, feel free to post back here if more assistance is required! :slight_smile:

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.