Help using buddypress with a timeline-style theme

Hey. So i'm using the 'Share it!' theme, which automatically puts posts and other aspects of the front page into a customized timeline.

example: http://www.thejourneyhome.intothemythica.com

this in and of itself it fantastic. i'm using the theme for a number of sites all of which describe the timelines of different users.

however; when I try to use Buddypress with the theme, the 'members', 'activity' 'profile' and other pages seem to try to resolve on the custom 'timeline' render.

the theme supports regular Pages though, which i'm able to edit with a version of visual composer specifically coded for that theme.

i would like to be able to use this theme for my main buddypress on the main site. how can I set the buddypress pages to resolve to something other than the 'timeline' customization?

The theme designer isn't experienced with buddypress. However, i'm intuiting that there's some kind of a logic behind where buddypress resolves the various 'activity', 'members' etc. pages. from there, i'm striving to understand what can be changed that would allow me to use the Share it! theme for buddypress.

using the Share it! theme for the main site would keep the design * consistent *; which I really like. It would also resolve any issues about different versions of visual composer.

thanks in advance. learning. always learning.

• Griffin

Yes. Thank You SOOOO much Michael. If I could use this theme as the architecture for the main site, it would be profound.

Now, currently the main theme is set to 'KLEO', which also uses a special K elements shortcode and a non-set up for Share it! version of visual composer. KLEO has some nice buddypress additions which are pretty, but i'm sure I can live without them to build something more aligned in a theme way with the rest of the multisite. to really show You the issue i'll have to set the main site to 'Share it!' versus KLEO, and you can see how the various buddypress pages try to resolve.

Because Share it! allows for Page Layout; I figure that maybe I can avoid the association of BuddyPress pages with those pages versus the timeline.

Okay. Going to switch the theme over for now. This temporarily knocks out my mailing list and other aspects; so it'd be great to find out what we can do as soon as we can :slight_smile:

Thanks as always.

changing theme and enabling support access now

• Griffin

A second concern, and a clarification please.

There appears a difference between 'network activated plugins' and locally activated plugins. I was experimenting with having some plugins set to network and then only enabling other plugins on certain sites. This seemed to fix some plug-in issues.

Is my understanding correct? This was what I did to enable KLEO theme on the main site; which seemed problematic.

I've considered a few other options. As said in my first query; what would seem ideal would be to use the specific Share it! timeline theme on the main page, and be able to use buddypress and customize buddypress within it.

If KLEO's settings and add-ons, like 'K elements' and such, continue to be an issue (there is also an rtMedia issue with the KLEO theme, seemingly); then my next option may be to use the 'X' theme, which is highly versatile, to build a buddypress site.

okay. enabling support access.

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Griffin, thanks for your patience here! :slight_smile:

Starting from here:

There appears a difference between 'network activated plugins' and locally activated plugins. I was experimenting with having some plugins set to network and then only enabling other plugins on certain sites. This seemed to fix some plug-in issues.

Is my understanding correct? This was what I did to enable KLEO theme on the main site; which seemed problematic.

It would depend on the plugin, not all plugins are designed to be network activated. :slight_smile:

As said in my first query; what would seem ideal would be to use the specific Share it! timeline theme on the main page, and be able to use buddypress and customize buddypress within it.

At the moment, it looks like you're going to need to create some custom page templates, and insert them into your child theme, since it doesn't look like BuddyPress is working with your theme as it is (i.e. no content shows up when I visit any of the pages, like Members, Activity, Sites, etc.).

You can have a look at these two pages to start:

https://codex.buddypress.org/themes/theme-compatibility-1-7/a-quick-look-at-1-7-theme-compatibility/

https://codex.buddypress.org/themes/theme-compatibility-1-7/template-hierarchy/

But this would definitely be a custom item, and would be something that you'd want to hire a developer for:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/wordpress-development/

If KLEO's settings and add-ons, like 'K elements' and such, continue to be an issue (there is also an rtMedia issue with the KLEO theme, seemingly); then my next option may be to use the 'X' theme, which is highly versatile, to build a buddypress site.

I haven't personally used the X theme much, but you would be welcome to give it a try here. :slight_smile:

Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Michael

P.S. You can change the theme back now on your main site. :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.