help with a plugin

Following the instructions for the avatar plugin install, how do I:

2) Add the following to your .htaccess under the line that handles uploaded files:
RewriteRule ^(.*/)?avatar/(.*) wp-content/avatar.php?file=$2 [L]
3) Create the following directories and chmod them to 777:
/wp-content/avatars/user
/wp-content/avatars/blog

I think I found my htaccess in my www folder, but I am reluctant to open it before I know what I am doing. I guess I can open it with notepad but I don't know if I'll be able to identify which line handles uploaded files. Also I don't know how to create a directory, but I think I could figure it out. Sorry for what seems such a remedial question up on these boards, but I'm really new at this.

Thanks,
Chad

• bradpalmore

I'm also a newbie, but here's what I've learned:

You do need to be very careful with this. Messing up the .htaccess can be a big problem. You might ask your host if they're willing to make the edits for you. If you do play with it, make a back up first so you can restore it if you mess things up. Check your site after you make edits to the .htaccess to make sure you didn't break it.

That being said, in the .htaccess file there is a section that looks like:
    #uploaded files
    RewriteRule ^(.*/)?files/$ index.php [L]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !.*wp-content/plugins.*
    RewriteRule ^(.*/)?files/(.*) wp-content/blogs.php?file=$2 [L]

You'd place the RewriteRule ^(.*/)?avatar/(.*) wp-content/avatar.php?file=$2 [L] under that section and save the file back to your server.

A directory is a series of folders. Within the /wp-content/ folder you need to create another folder called /avatars/. Within that folder, you create two additional folders: /user and /blog. You have to change the permissions on those folders to 777, which is readable, writable, and executable by owner, group, and others. If you can't ssh (or don't know what that means) the editor on your server or any FTP program can do it.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.