Help with multiple domain structure

I am interested in installing WP MU but I would like you to help me suggesting the best structured way to do it.

Right now I have the WP installed already in several of my domains. (these installations were made several years ago.)

For example:

domain1.com

domain2.com

domain3.com

etc.

I also have WP installed in:

domain1.com/blog1

domain1.com/blog2

domain1.com/blog3

domain2.com/blog1

domain2.com/blog2

These sites are indexed in the search engines and also have traffic coming to them everyday

I want to have a WP MU installation so it would be easier to manage all plugins and upgrades to new versions of wordpress.

I am planning on installing WP MU on another domain. For example domain4.com

How do I do it?

I want to continue to keep separate individual urls so I dont confuse my customers.

Thanks for your help

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi wp-mu-user and welcome to WPMU DEV!

Sounds like you’ll likely want to use both the Domain Mapping and Multi-Domains plugin in this instance!

The Multi-Domains plugin will let you create blogs on top of your existing domains, so domain1.com/blog1, domain1.com/blog2 and domain2.com/blog1 for instance.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/multi-domains

And Domain Mapping can be used in cases where you don’t necessarily need to add blogs on top of the domain, but just need a single, top-level domain blog at a particular url, like domain4.com for instance.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/domain-mapping

Addmittedly, it’s tricky to get those existing sites moved over to one Multisite install. What I’ve usually done (after backing everything up of course) is export the single site content using the WP export tool (Tools > Export), created the development version of the Multisite and imported the content into the sub-sites there. I’d then have to touch up any rough edges from there, like plugin/theme settings.

Once that’s sufficient at mimicking the single sites, I’d then move all that over to a live site (a bit of a process itself, though I’ve used BackupBuddy in cases like this to makes some things easier).

That’s at least how I’ve done it in the past. Perhaps others around here have other ideas on this. Anyone?

Cheers,

David

• wp-mu-user
    • Flash Drive

David,

Thanks for your reply.

I am thinking in installing WP MU on domain4.com.

Based on your answer, I would then setup new sites on it and import all of the rest of the sites into it.

Once everything is working well, I then use domain mapping and multidomain blogs on domain4.com WP MU to manage all the installations?

After that, I erase the old WP installs in

domain1.com/blog1

domain1.com/blog2

domain1.com/blog3

domain2.com/blog1

domain2.com/blog2

Is that the process?

• wp-mu-user
    • Flash Drive

I have installed domain mapping.

I want to accomplish the following.

Let’s say I have installed WP MU in domain1.com and I have created a blog in domain1.com/blog.

I want to point domain2.com to domain1.com/blog

Does anyone now how to setup the DNS settings in godaddy?

Thanks

• glutenfreeviews
    • New Recruit

I have installed domain mapping.

I want to accomplish the following.

Let’s say I have installed WP MU in domain1.com and I have created a blog in domain1.com/blog.

I want to point domain2.com to domain1.com/blog

Does anyone now how to setup the DNS settings in godaddy?

Thanks

I’m not an expert but here are few links that might be helpful:

http://help.godaddy.com/article/422

http://www.seologic.com/faq/url-redirect-script

I also use backup buddy for migration and have been researching some of these topics lately. I’m also kind of wondering about if parking an old domain would work?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.