Help with parent/child themes

Any files that are uploaded to the child theme automatically override those in the parent theme as the child theme loads before the parent. This technique can be used for any files and folders within the parent theme — but you must re-create the same folder and filenames structure in your child theme that exist in the parent theme folder.

Is it only CSS files in the child that override, and not PHP?

• jjsararas
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Haha I’m working through it as we speak! But I was trying to clarify what Joe said, that the page.php wouldn’t load in the child before the parent. Either way, I’m getting a handle on it and won’t ask any more questions until I’m totally through the codex. :slight_smile:

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings jjsararas and marikamitsos,

Thank you both for your feedback, it is very appreciated.

@jjsararas I am not 100% sure that it would not work, I have seen it where it did not work and therefore went the surefire way to include permissioning the file 444 read only to insure that it is not overwritten with an update.

This phenomenon may be related to a specific theme or file that it has not happened often enough that I noticed a pattern …. yet. I have also personally taken the entire theme and copied it to a slightly different name (usually adding a letter to it) and then used that.

I use tools like Ultra Compare that will tell me immediately if there is a difference between two files and I can easily drag and drop new code from one file into another even live similar to Windows Explorer windows.

Please let me know if you have further questions after you have finished reading the codex.

@marikamitsos – are we going to be cross posting again tonight :slight_smile:

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings jjsararas,

It looks like you have this under control now regarding child themes.

I am going to mark this ticket as resolved. However, if it it not resolved please fell free to mark it as not resolved below and be sure to post any new information that may help us to resolve this ticket i.e. error messages, symptoms etc.

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.