Help with Performance

Hey guys,

I installed Smush Pro and compressed all the images on this image-heavy site, but by score is still quite low in the Performance tab: https://cl.ly/jPPS

Most ofthe recommendations are to compress the images, and of course, I thought I had already done that. I rechecked all of the images from The Smush Pro dashboard and it is saying I have more images to compress, but when I click the link in the banner, it doesn't do anything. And then on the lower left it says all of my images are smushed and up to date, so it's a conflicting message.

Any suggestions? Access extended for 4 days.

Ryan

Kasia Swiderska

Hello Ryan,

There are two issues with your images. Google page speed test has two reports for image optimization.

1. Losslessly compressing - This one's is telling that image can be optimized and that's what smushing does. In you case Smush optimized image you told it to do - but you are getting this message for orginal image sizes on site and option for smushing those is disabled right now on Smush setting:

2. Compressing and resizing - This shows that the images are resized via HTML and CSS

The second one is what's shown in your results and that's because your theme is loading images larger than it's HTML holder, for example thumbnails 587x587px on Fiesta Sponsors on home page but the actual HTML holder of that image is 170x170px so the image is resized with CSS to fit in that holder.

Unfortunately this is not something Smush can deal with since the theme code is written in the way to call the larger image, and even though the image is compressed google doesn't like loading image larger than its holder, so this is something you need to check with the theme devs.

Let me know if you have more questions.

kind regards,
    Kasia