Help with settings for users

I am trying to set up a real estate rental site. I have posts of listings on the home page (with no excerpt) and a slideshow with featured listings that I would like to show to free visitors but I do not want them to be able to click on the posts and go to the listing page. All of the other listings are for paid subscribers. I have not been able to achieve this yet.
I also have a question about setting up the back end of the site for agents who will need to create a profile on my agent page and also post a new listing? I have no idea how this would flow after they sign up? or how to give them access to just these two items?
Can you help me? Thanks-Kathy

• Tom Eagles
    • Syntax Hero

@kathy_townsend

To restrict access to the actual posts you can set a negative role for the visitors so they are excluded from the posts and display a message like sorry yoy need to be registered t see this.

As far as the other listings you can also potect those pages in the same way.

Regarding the adverts/ listings you could simply use our classifieds plugin.

Cheers

Tom

• kathy_townsend
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

thanks for your quick reply! The problem is that the posts are real estate listings. I understand that I can block that contact but the way the content flows through the site would mean if I blocked in on the listing page it will then not show up on the home page. They are one in the same listings just set up to show in different places on the site. I basically want my homepage to look the same to all views but don't want unpaid subscribers to be able to click to see the full listing.
    The other issue is not an advertising issue. My site is set up so that in the admin section you can add a listing which is just like a post but has some real estate functionality built in. I want my agent subscribers to be able to post listings the same way I do so that they all fall into the same page. I do not need another plugin.
    I may need someone to actually log in to my site with me to see the issues. I have thought of many different combinations but they do not work.
    I also still have the question about agents being able to log in and ad listings and their bio on the agent page in the way that I mentioned.
    I am happy to pay for help if you offer this type of assistance?

• MasatoEM
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Alright, I think I understand your conflict.

In order to resolve the homepage listing without full access would be to give a positive access to the general public, but where you would like for the content to cut off, you would use the shortcode for a membership level [level name] (you can find this in the Levels area) and then you would make it so that content is viewable to only members of that level.

It's sort of like saying this:

CONTENT STARTS HERE
    Add Shortcode
    Protected content here
    End Shortcode

That should work for you.

Hope this helps.

• MasatoEM

Certainly.

1. Go to your membership control panel
    2. Navigate to the Access Levels Menu
    3. Look to the right hand corner, you will see two short codes, one that is for the level (top) and one for those not of that level (bottom)
    4. Copy the shortcode on top
    5. Navigate to your page that you are modifying
    6. Define the shortcode where you need the content protection to start
    7. Save the settings
    8. Test

That should do it, I just ran into a problem I can help you further through email if need be, send me a private message, I should be able to walk you through it.

• kathy_townsend
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I feel really stupid. Normally I can figure these things out super easily on my own but I am having a real problem with this. When I go to the access level page on the same line (at the end) of the visitors settings I see two short codes so I am assuming I copy the top one. Then I am clicking on edit to go to the visitors page. Assuming this is all correct now I am lost. I am completely confused how to set up the content flow here with shortcodes. I am not sure what time zone you are but it would be really great to have to walk me through this or l log on with me as I know it is probably a super easy fix I am just not used to this program. Sorry-Kathy

• MasatoEM

The short code I showed you works like this:

[level_membership] Protected content here [/level_membership]
    [not_level_membership]Public content here[/not_level_membership]

Make sense?

The level membership is what shows the content to that specific membership, where as the bottom code shows the content publicly.

So for the sake of real usage example

[not_level_membership]Below, with the appropriate membership, you will be able to see our premium content! If not, feel free to sign up with us![/not_level_membership]

[level_membership]Thank you for your subscription to us! Enjoy this premium content![/level_membership]

Follow?

Shoot me an email at: joseph@tactivelearning.com

• kathy_townsend
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Tom,
    I am still having an issue. I see the shortcodes but I still can't make this work the way it needs to. I would really love to have someone log in and try to set this up for me. Like I said I am happy to pay for it to be done. I am confused about which page you are referring to when I am being told to copy the short code and go to the page I am modifying. I was thinking that it was in the setting where the drag and drop permissions were but there is no where to paste a short code. If it is within the homepage itself then I am not sure how to modify that as it is set up differently than my other pages in terms of ability to add info and I am not sure how to do that.
    Is it possible for you to log into the site and set this up so that it is correct for me? My concern is that once this is done I also need to figure out how to set up the membership section so that agents can log in and access the admin panel only to ad a agent bio and listings. So sorry! As I said I am typically very good with plugins but this setup has me completely stumped....

• MasatoEM

I can set this up for you, send me an email and we can get in touch and I will help you get this whole thing configured.

I will offer my support as long as you need it, if you have Skype feel free to add me:

[REMOVING ADVERTISEMENT CONTACT INFORMATION]

[MEMBERS CONTACT DETAILS CAN BE FOUND IN THEIR PROFILE OR ON POST ABOVE]

I look forward to helping you if you are interested.

Kind Regards,
    MasatoEM ~ Joseph.

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey @MasatoEM

Please keep all the advertisements out of the community. I appreciate you do a great job in helping members and don't wish to deter that, we love active members wanting to help each other. :slight_smile:

I'd just rather if the community not come across as a jobs board, because we have an area for this.

If you're looking for work then use the WPMU DEV Jobs board:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/wpmu-jobs

We'll be revamping this very soon as well. :slight_smile:

kathy_townsend, Tom will be responding shortly.

Cheers.

• MasatoEM

Apologies for the violation, I have been building up a portfolio in order to prove my support, I will be applying for the job as soon as I am more comfortable with how many resources I have to show for it.

Again, apologies for the violation.

• Tom Eagles
    • Syntax Hero

@kathy_townsend

I have had a long look round the front page, there are a few areas that need addressing. One is the slider that would need some customisation what essentially would need doing is to add the short code [not-level-vistitor] around the url links to the posts.

To do this on the index.php you would need to add this line before the link and this one after the link.

<?php echo do_shortcode('[not-level-visitor"]'); ?>link goes here<?php echo do_shortcode('[/not-level-visitor"]'); ?>

The same would go for the other content in the index.php file that you don't want displayed to visitors.

cheers

Tom

• kathy_townsend
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Tom,
    How are you? I am still trying to fix my site. I have not been able to pull up the slider for the visitors since you looked at it. Was there something that you remember changing? It is there for the other subscribers but there are no permissions what so ever marked for the visitors and no other settings within my theme that allow me to show that again?

• Tom Eagles
    • Syntax Hero

@kathy_townsend

Hi there Kathy, no changes were made on your site i basically recreated you site settings on a test site of mine.

Could you try the following advice from our dev on a similar thread.

Can you please try to go to your Slide In global settings, and in the "Advanced" section, enter one of these in the "Custom injection hook" field: "wp_footer" or "genesis_footer" ? Please, note that you should try one of these at the time, and paste the words without quotes or surrounding spaces.

See how that goes.

Cheers

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.