Help with slow page speed plz

Google pagespeed insights scores my site puregoldfish.com at 58/100. It says I need to...

Eliminate render-blocking JavaScript and CSS in above-the-fold content
Your page has 22 blocking script resources and 20 blocking CSS resources. This causes a delay in rendering your page.
None of the above-the-fold content on your page could be rendered without waiting for the following resources to load. Try to defer or asynchronously load blocking resources, or inline the critical portions of those resources directly in the HTML.

And...

Reduce server response time
In our test, your server responded in 1.4 seconds. There are many factors that can slow down your server response time. Please read our recommendations to learn how you can monitor and measure where your server is spending the most time.

I used smush pro and hummingbird to help but not sure how to fix those things. Any help would be great! :slight_smile: Thx!

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Meredith,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

The first message means that there are some scripts that take a bit time to load and while they are loaded all other resources must "wait". Hummingbird should help you fix most of these with its minification feature. Have you enabled it already?

The second issue may be related to the first one but can also be caused by other reasons and it would be important to first make sure that the first issue is sorted out as much as possible.

That said, let me know please if you already enabled minification in Hummingbird. Would you mind if I took a closer look at your setup? To let me do this, please grant me a support access as described in this article:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Meredith!

Thank you for granting access.

I checked your site, examined it with PageInsights and enabled Minification. Then I adjusted minification settings a bit. At this point it seems that the page is working fine (it's loading fast for me) an the score improved a bit though it's still not perfect.

However, your site is very complex and it may be very difficult to improve that score significantly. First step would be to review the site in details to see if it's working fine (only you will now it for sure, that's why I'm asking you).

Then, in Minification settings you would want to switch the position from "original" to the footer first for each and every CSS file and second for each and every JS file. The point is to do this "one by one" each time checking the site whether it "breaks" or not. I realize it's a daunting and time consuming task. That is however the only way to improve that score while still keeping the site fully functional.

In case you came across any further issues with this, let me know please.

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.